Brake Pad replacement and fluid checks

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Brake Pad replacement and fluid checks

Post by iceman »

btw - the original pads that came off are Nissin branded. I notice some of the brake parts specified by Honda in the parts list are Nissin too, but it seems the Nissin brand is not usually specified for the pads themselves. Anyone know if Honda usually supply Nissin pads out of the factory or their own?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

iceman wrote:btw - the original pads that came off are Nissin branded. I notice some of the brake parts specified by Honda in the parts list are Nissin too, but it seems the Nissin brand is not usually specified for the pads themselves. Anyone know if Honda usually supply Nissin pads out of the factory or their own?
Honda have been using Nissin calipers for decades, may just be using the Nissin name for pads now.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

iceman wrote:btw - the original pads that came off are Nissin branded. I notice some of the brake parts specified by Honda in the parts list are Nissin too, but it seems the Nissin brand is not usually specified for the pads themselves. Anyone know if Honda usually supply Nissin pads out of the factory or their own?
Nissin, aren't those the same people that make cup-o-noodles?? LOL!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, I removed the front brake pads on my wife's bike by doing what the service manual says. They looked like they were only half worn so I put them back in. My question is this:
On the right dice pad there is a half circle that allows the pad to be securely inserted around a bolt (I assume that it is a bolt.) So that the pad is held in the correct position. However, the left disc pad does not have this half circle, so what do I use to make sure it stays secure? I know that the pin goes through the bottom hole, but what about the top? I have the pads back in right now but I really don't want to ride the bike until I know if that front left pad is secure.

If anyone has an answer that requires a picture to better explain it, please provide one as I am not familiar enough with disc brake systems to be comfortable guessing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The two pads are different - they fit at one end and are held with the bolt as you discoverd. Best thing is to search youtube for scooter brake pad replacement and watch the videos - most if nto all are common to all scooters but there are PCX ones on YT.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

All of the videos talk about taking the whole thing apart and cleaning the pistons. That might be a great idea, but I haven't reached that level of confidence yet. When I feel brave enough...over the winter perhaps??...then I will take it off of the wheel, clean the pistons, and put new pads on. Brakes are important. However, I will probably let the dealer do the rear one. It looks complicated. He can change the fluid to Dot 4, and if it needs it he can upgrade the lines...his call on them. Even if we end up selling the bike, I want the new owner to have little to worry about on it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Many of the videos show the pads coming out and being put back in - it's a simple job, my first mechanical job ever and I managed it just fine. The hard part was pushing the pistons in to allow the new thick pads to go on - other than that it's not that difficult to do (previously I'd only changed oil in a car of my pcx!)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:The hard part was pushing the pistons in to allow the new thick pads to go on
Shove them back with a tyre lever between the old pads before you remove them from the caliper..... is how I do it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
iceman wrote:The hard part was pushing the pistons in to allow the new thick pads to go on
Shove them back with a tyre lever between the old pads before you remove them from the caliper..... is how I do it.

X2. Don’t force them, just put some pressure on and you’ll feel them gradually start to move.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I just checked my brakes. I ride it quite hard in a hilly area and there is about 3mm / ⅛ inch of pad left after 33000km / 20600 miles. When I replace them it will be with standard Honda pads, they seem fine to me.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad