PCX Drive Belt - What do you think?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PCX Drive Belt - What do you think?

Post by TheMaverick »

Today I changed the oil in the PCX (32,000km), and took the opportunity to whip the cover off the other side and check the condition of the belt. The inside has cracks between the teeth, but the outside looked absolutely fine - so I thought I'd ask what you good folks here thought. How would you class this - would you say it's "OMG - it's on it's very last legs - change it ASAP" or would you say "Meh - it's seen better days but is probably good for quite a few more km yet"?

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: PCX Drive Belt - What do you think?

Post by you you »

I'd change it.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

The cracks, change it.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
izani
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by izani »

It might snaps anytime soon. Change it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

"OMG - it's on it's very last legs - change it ASAP"
How's that.
Cracks like that are not good. Would you ride on tires with cracks like That? Well that belt is in the same boat, except it has no way of cooling. Definitely change it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You want the newer cogged belt anyway. Time to retire that older belt version. AND for all of you, here is a GREAT deal on your next belt PLUS air filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Drive-Hond ... Aw&vxp=mtr
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Is the 125 and 150 belt the same or the 150cc larger?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Thanks folks.

I actually thought it wasn't too bad; the cracks look awful, and I can understand why they would occur there (bit like a cut on a finger that gets opened up if we constantly open/close the finger) but I don't think that part is particularly structural as it's well away from the reinforcing strip of what-ever it is that's embedded mostly towards the outer periphery of the belt. Plus the cracks don't extend down the sidewall of the belt. I've got a spare belt on hand and other parts coming for that area over the next couple of weeks anyway.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

Replace as soon as possible, because the belt is not bent as in a car engine, but it has cracks in the belt, it means the aging of the belt. The more mileage 32000 as it suggests - "replace me"))
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

The workshop manual states that it has to be replaced at 15,000 miles, you are at 19000. Replace it, otherwise it will break on you when you need it the most.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:The workshop manual states that it has to be replaced at 15,000 miles, you are at 19000. Replace it, otherwise it will break on you when you need it the most.

Gil
My suspicion is that Honda are "very kind" to their dealers and recommend the replacement of some components long before they really need replacing - case-in-point spark plug - book says 8,000km - and mine is still going fine at 4x that distance. They also say that valve clearances need to be checked every 8,000km - and yet again, bike is going just fine at 32,000+ km. Air filter - book says (off memory) 16,000km - and yet mine was still doing it's job well when I changed it recently at around 30,000km.

Looking at the belt, I'm just not convinced it's anywhere near breaking; it's got the cracks you see between the teeth, but that's a natural weak point anyway, and those cracks don't actually go anywhere (the strong parts of the belt will be the reinforcing material that runs through it) - the rest of the belt looks absolutely fine - the outer part - reinforcing strip - and sides look as good as a new one. If the cracks were extending down the side of the belt I'd replace it quick-smart, but they're not). So for now I'll probably just keep an eye on it - I have a new one on hand, and probably my worst case scenario would be having to push the bike 5km to work or home (or call in a favour with a mate with a truck).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I love this kind stuff, it makes for interesting reading.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

TheMaverick, the PCX has 2 wheels unlike cars and if the belt broke, it will jam the rear wheel, which is extremely dangerous for life. Any Honda dealer will say replace the belt immediately. The car can travel with the old belt attachments and even with the old timing belt because the car 4 wheel.
If ordered to change the expenditure side of the PCX at a certain mileage, it should be changed. The old oil scooter also could very long ride, but it will break down quickly.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Besides, opening the side cover from time to time just to "keep an eye on it" sounds a lot of work. anyway, it might hold for a couple of weeks,and your other parts will arrive. Be safe.

Checked my belt at 10,000kms and it's looking like it's new.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Techno
Year: 2011
Color: Black

Post by Techno »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:The workshop manual states that it has to be replaced at 15,000 miles, you are at 19000. Replace it, otherwise it will break on you when you need it the most.

Gil
My suspicion is that Honda are "very kind" to their dealers and recommend the replacement of some components long before they really need replacing - case-in-point spark plug - book says 8,000km - and mine is still going fine at 4x that distance. They also say that valve clearances need to be checked every 8,000km - and yet again, bike is going just fine at 32,000+ km. Air filter - book says (off memory) 16,000km - and yet mine was still doing it's job well when I changed it recently at around 30,000km.

Looking at the belt, I'm just not convinced it's anywhere near breaking; it's got the cracks you see between the teeth, but that's a natural weak point anyway, and those cracks don't actually go anywhere (the strong parts of the belt will be the reinforcing material that runs through it) - the rest of the belt looks absolutely fine - the outer part - reinforcing strip - and sides look as good as a new one. If the cracks were extending down the side of the belt I'd replace it quick-smart, but they're not). So for now I'll probably just keep an eye on it - I have a new one on hand, and probably my worst case scenario would be having to push the bike 5km to work or home (or call in a favour with a mate with a truck).
Service intervals/part changes are set to accommodate the worst case i.e. weather/environment and user/use.

Yes i's quite possible to exceed these set limits but in doing so you're running a risk depending on the above mentioned. The picture of your belt doesn't look that much different from the one on my lads bike which has done 10k miles, the cracks you show will probably be on any belt over a few 1000's, perhaps someone with a bike with between 4 - 6k miles could take a picture?

The bit that matters is the lower/back and the sides. Take a look at your car's alternator belt which is the same thing all be it smaller you will see these cracks at very low mileages. These type of belts usually start slipping before they break, that said don't quote me as it's all dependant on weather/environment and user/use.

Spark plugs are a different matter a standard (copper core single electrode) will last about 8k miles, after that the electrode starts to wear and the gap increases, this will increase fuel consumption, give cold starting issues and take the edge off performance. Most large bikes and cars now fit multi electrode or iridium, these don't improve performance just massively increase service life. These little engines work hard and are high revving most of the time, I'd recommend you change the plug at 6k or fit a multi electrode or iridium plug.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Changing the belt is not that big of a deal, but running the risk that it will break when you are on the road is. Just change the belt and don't worry about it for another 15,000 or so miles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:

Gil

You have a point on it being about helping the dealers. I have seen forum post on other forums brocken CVT belts. They were all wheal past their service limit. Have you measured the width of the belt?

I recently replaced the spark plug on my scoot with an iridium one and didn't notice any performance improvements. I had correctly gapped the spark plug a couple weeks before. It did look worn out though.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

I recently replaced the spark plug on my scoot with an iridium one and didn't notice any performance improvements. I had correctly gapped the spark plug a couple weeks before. It did look worn out though.
I had been advised that spark plugs other than the inexpensive basic versions should not be gapped for 2 reasons;
1) they are correctly gapped as a part of their production process and
2) the platinum / iridium / whatever is just a thin plating that is scratched off if you try to gap it (which is why they gap it correctly at the factory).

Is this advise I received incorrect ?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

If ordered to change the expenditure side of the PCX at a certain mileage, it should be changed. The old oil scooter also could very long ride, but it will break down quickly.
I agree with this, the PCX has no oil filter to trap fine particles and etc ..... just a screen to stop any visible contamination from circulating. It's cheap to change less than 1 qt of oil.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Techno wrote: Service intervals/part changes are set to accommodate the worst case i.e. weather/environment and user/use.

Yes i's quite possible to exceed these set limits but in doing so you're running a risk depending on the above mentioned. The picture of your belt doesn't look that much different from the one on my lads bike which has done 10k miles, the cracks you show will probably be on any belt over a few 1000's, perhaps someone with a bike with between 4 - 6k miles could take a picture?

The bit that matters is the lower/back and the sides. Take a look at your car's alternator belt which is the same thing all be it smaller you will see these cracks at very low mileages. These type of belts usually start slipping before they break, that said don't quote me as it's all dependant on weather/environment and user/use.

Spark plugs are a different matter a standard (copper core single electrode) will last about 8k miles, after that the electrode starts to wear and the gap increases, this will increase fuel consumption, give cold starting issues and take the edge off performance. Most large bikes and cars now fit multi electrode or iridium, these don't improve performance just massively increase service life. These little engines work hard and are high revving most of the time, I'd recommend you change the plug at 6k or fit a multi electrode or iridium plug.
Thanks. I'm waiting on one more tool to arrive before changing out the rear driven face assy due to bearing noise (know issue with my year PCX) and since I've got a replacement belt waiting in the wings, it makes sense to do it all at the same time. Bike is getting very close to 33,333km, so seems like a good mileage to do it at (knowing that if it last the same again I should be good until 66,667km then again at 100,000km).

I'm going to test the old belt to see how many KG of force it takes to brake it to get an indication of whether it was particularly close to breaking on the bike; my gut feeling looking at it is that it would probably do double what it has so far; the cracks that I can see basically don't go anywhere - if they extended down the side of the belt or there was any sign of compromised strength anywhere on or around the reinforcing material or outside of the belt then that would be a different story, but that's not the case.

The "8k miles sparkplug" is currently at close to 33,000km - no problems starting - economy unchanged around 43 -> 45km/l in winter conditions here at the moment. I probably will change it shortly anyway (diminishing returns and higher risk the longer I run it now) - Gut feel told me that it just wasn't necessary to change it every 8,000km per what the book says - and my gut feelings are very seldom wrong.