honda pcx - 2014 - brakes and juddering

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

bunnykins
Year: 2011
Color: white

honda pcx - 2014 - brakes and juddering

Post by bunnykins »

noticed long time it judders when i move off very annoying.

and since i used the bike lock that goes on the front disks [ few times forgot to take off ] think it has damaged the disk as it now squeaks going along but goes off when i applied brakes.

mot 2 months ago they changed the back tyre since then started to squeak too

any suggestions of a cheap fix ? :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: honda pcx - 2014 - brakes and juddering

Post by homie »

Sounds like two completely separate issues you are reporting so I would focus on one at a time. Since you know of a possible warped front brake rotor I would start there. Get the front wheel off the ground however you can and spin the wheel watching the rotor for the obvious. When you put a front wheel security lock you are pretty much using the brake caliper to stop forward motion o_O or does yours go through the disc? Either way this action couldn't have been good for the operation of the front brakes and might need your attention and priority.
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

homie wrote:Sounds like two completely separate issues you are reporting so I would focus on one at a time. Since you know of a possible warped front brake rotor I would start there. Get the front wheel off the ground however you can and spin the wheel watching the rotor for the obvious. When you put a front wheel security lock you are pretty much using the brake caliper to stop forward motion o_O This can't be good for the operation of the front brakes and might need your attention and priority.

warped front brake rotor, is this the brake disk ? how do i cure it ? or does it mean new disk ? the disk dont look worn
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DISK, FR. BRAKE (NHK PRECISION)
45351-KVG-902 (various makers)

Don't know where you are from so here's an international seller (50usd price) Not fixable if its warped sorry. Easy job if you have the tools :D Pull front wheel axle bolt, remove wheel, remove 5 hex head bolts, install new rotor disk... torque everything properly.
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

thanks, sounds easy lol. im in uk
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Juttering is due to glazed clutch pads usually. Vibration or pulsation on braking could be due to brake rotor , bent rim and so on.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

With regards to juddering when accelerating off the line, mine started doing that when cold not long after I got it - then started doing it when warm too. After 32,000km it still does it, but less than it used to - I've given up worrying about it. I do get a small squeak from the rear brake, but only with light pressure (usually when I'm "taxiing for takeoff"). Front brake lever often isn't 100% smooth as it's applied; had the dealer check it out an he reckons it's a tiny amount of contamination in the fluid - "back flushing" the tank temporarily by fully releasing/opening the caliper cures it temporarily (the brake itself works 100% though).
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Mine does shudder too, stock linings do that. Someone suggested replacing it with an aftermarket lining will solve the problem.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

easyrider wrote:Juttering is due to glazed clutch pads usually. Vibration or pulsation on braking could be due to brake rotor , bent rim and so on.
mine does not have gears still have a clutch ?
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

TheMaverick wrote:With regards to juddering when accelerating off the line, mine started doing that when cold not long after I got it - then started doing it when warm too. After 32,000km it still does it, but less than it used to - I've given up worrying about it. I do get a small squeak from the rear brake, but only with light pressure (usually when I'm "taxiing for takeoff"). Front brake lever often isn't 100% smooth as it's applied; had the dealer check it out an he reckons it's a tiny amount of contamination in the fluid - "back flushing" the tank temporarily by fully releasing/opening the caliper cures it temporarily (the brake itself works 100% though).
funny enough i did top brake fluid up with fluid from an open bottle that i had awhile, could it be cause by the contaminated fluid ? if so do i change the fluid completely ? how do i drain all the fluid ? i can get a new one from halfords. thks
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

alx123 wrote:Mine does shudder too, stock linings do that. Someone suggested replacing it with an aftermarket lining will solve the problem.
i think the lining gets hard thru time [ but mine only done 5k miles ] and does not grip well when we move off. thats bad most people have this shudder and honda has done nothing about it. surely its not something of honda quality here !
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Cured front brake judder/squeak with a green kitchen scrubby. Lift the wheel, spin while grabbing the disc with the scrubby. Cleans off the crud, restores smooth braking.
Won't fix a damaged disc.
Fish
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

bunnykins wrote: funny enough i did top brake fluid up with fluid from an open bottle that i had awhile, could it be cause by the contaminated fluid ? if so do i change the fluid completely ? how do i drain all the fluid ? i can get a new one from halfords. thks
You shouldn't have to top up the reservoir because it's supposed to drop down as the pads wear. If you want to change it completely then there are YouTube videos that you can search for that show you how to do it.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

bunnykins wrote: i think the lining gets hard thru time [ but mine only done 5k miles ] and does not grip well when we move off. thats bad most people have this shudder and honda has done nothing about it. surely its not something of honda quality here !
For me, it shudders a little, but the shudder isn't an issue; it's not like the bike sits there for 10 seconds with the clutch refusing to engage. I suspect that "going easy on it" just makes it worse - I usually just grab a handful of throttle and "get on with it".
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

bunnykins wrote:
mine does not have gears still have a clutch ?
If the motor is turning but the wheels aren't then there has to be a mechanical disconnection somewhere ... that's the role of the clutch.
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

fish wrote:Cured front brake judder/squeak with a green kitchen scrubby. Lift the wheel, spin while grabbing the disc with the scrubby. Cleans off the crud, restores smooth braking.
Fish
i cleaned it with white spirit, i think it made it worst last week
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

TheMaverick wrote:
bunnykins wrote: i think the lining gets hard thru time [ but mine only done 5k miles ] and does not grip well when we move off. thats bad most people have this shudder and honda has done nothing about it. surely its not something of honda quality here !
For me, it shudders a little, but the shudder isn't an issue; it's not like the bike sits there for 10 seconds with the clutch refusing to engage. I suspect that "going easy on it" just makes it worse - I usually just grab a handful of throttle and "get on with it".
many people say its not an issue, but i dont think it was designed by honda to do that ! i had a cheap peugeot click 50cc and that didnt have any issues, good little bike :)
bunnykins

Post by bunnykins »

i just changed the oil to fully synth, when only 2 months ago i changed it [ semi ]and it is already quite dark in colour :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

bunnykins wrote:
fish wrote:Cured front brake judder/squeak with a green kitchen scrubby. Lift the wheel, spin while grabbing the disc with the scrubby. Cleans off the crud, restores smooth braking.
Fish
i cleaned it with white spirit, i think it made it worst last week
No, no chemicals - just clean the crud off with the rough scrubby.
'Rough' but won't harm a metal disc.
Leaves nothing to affect the pads either.
Use one all the time if brakes get a little grabby....restores smooth stops.
Fish
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

bunnykins wrote:
many people say its not an issue, but i dont think it was designed by honda to do that ! i had a cheap peugeot click 50cc and that didnt have any issues, good little bike :)
I very much doubt the problem nor the clutch were designed by Honda - they're an extremely common unit that's used on many bikes.