Having a bad day

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Having a bad day

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

I just lost my motor on my 2013 Honda PXC 150 scooter. Pretty sure it failed because of low oil level. Honda Powersports does not seem to sell a direct replacement engine/assembly as such.

So if any of you have dealt with this, tell me how you handled it. I have a good private motorcycle shop that can work on it. It's just figuring out what to do. E-Bay has a few replacement motors (different years) and that is always "iffy" because motors and even scooter frames can change. We noticed that frame numbers on parts lists between 2013 and 2015 DID NOT match.

There is also a great place in the Netherlands that recycles scooter parts, (but the cost of shipping is the price of the motor) That won't work, except in Holland.

My motorcycle mechanic friend and I are consulting a knowledgeable Chinese guy locally who knows a lot about scooters in general, (resident Chinese expert) But since the crankshaft and rods and oversize pistons and head are available as parts at a reasonable price, I am wonderring if it would be worth having a machine shop remachine it, oversize, with replacement parts. Has anybody had success rebuilding the PCX 150 motor ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Having a bad day

Post by gn2 »

Firstly, condolences on your loss :(

Tough love time: get it sold for spares on eBay and buy a new one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gn2 wrote:Firstly, condolences on your loss :(

Tough love time: get it sold for spares on eBay and buy a new one.
+1
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you insist on keeping it, find a 2013 engine. Everything changed after 2013, so I am not sure that getting an engine from a newer year model would be a good thing.

Other members have successfully swapped engines so it shouldn't be a problem as long as the ecu matches.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If its a pre ESP engine chances are the oil got low due to cracks around the weak centrestand lugs.
If so they would need welded up before you even thought of replacing all the internals.
Was there a pre-ESP 150...? Dunno, different planet over there :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

What failed ?? Is it seized? just won't start? knocking?.. Have you had it diagnosed. Rebuilding is not a big deal if block is OK. How low is the oil level?? Even small amount can lubricate .Tinkering in the shop with it might be a challenging fun project..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, others have taken their engines apart and rebuilt them. If it didn't seize and destroy itself completely then it should be a viable option. In fact, some ordered a Big Bore Kit for theirs. The bike ran great after they did that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers