Strange LED Headlight issues

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Xedos9er

Strange LED Headlight issues

Post by Xedos9er »

Hello,
I have a very strange issue with my LED headlight on my 2015 PCX (european Version). Sometimes my low beam light switches off, when i turn on the turn indicator. Today i noticed, that my low beam was all the time off, till I switched on and off the turn indicator. After that it worked fine, till i switched on the hazard lights. At the moment it turns off, when i switch on the hazard lights, but not every time. Also strange, when hazards are on and low beam doesn´t work, it turns on, when in turn on the high beam, but switches off again when I switch to low beam.
What´s going on here? I already exchanged the LED Control Unit, looks like it did not help at all??

I also checked all the plugs, they look fine. The pcx has only 500 miles :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Strange LED Headlight issues

Post by PCX150Rider »

A call to an "Exorcist" perhaps? o_O

Seriously though. . .that is one far out set of problems. :roll:

You are from where? Europe you say? The U.S. version doesn't get the "hazard lights" although would be nice to have.

Since the symptoms are so varied and fluid I'm thinking the problem could perhaps be caused by an intrusion of water somehow causing short circuits. Did you use a high pressure hose or power washer on your PCX recently. . .or leave it outside in harsh wet conditions for a long time?

Time for the experts to jump in here. . .. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Hmmm... There is something going on that is common to both the headlights and the hazard lights. Perhaps you can get an indication of some kind by looking at the wiring diagram. Attached is one for a 2014 but it looks like it is for the LED version, so it should be fine.
Honda_PCX2014_wiring.pdf
(67.41 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Xedos9er

Post by Xedos9er »

Hi,
I already checked the wiring diagram, the turn indicators/hazard lights use the same ground like the low and high beam for switching on and off. Since the low beam is permanently on, it just uses a bringe from the L_GND output pin to the LO IN pin. I checked this bridge by opening the wiring harness and measuring the resistance. Btw, i understand now why the Low beam is working when switching on the high beam: if the LED Control unit is seeing ground on the HI IN pin, it outputs automatically on both outputs LO and Hi out. And if the Low beam is failing I also see, that there is no voltage on the Output pin, that means the control unit somehow sees no ground on the input pin, bit the connection is fine and the control unit got exchanged by a used one
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Check the wiring itself to see if there is a intermittent short or ground. It could be a loose wire or the ground wire is broken but is still connected at the ground point, which would cause intermittent connections. Also check for corrosion in the connectors, and run the wires to make sure none of them has rubbed the insulation off. The ground is common to both hi and lots beam.

Also check the dimmer switch. Which reminds me, the gray/blue wire goes to plug "6P BU" and dissapears in the wiring diagram. It eventually attaches to the ground for the turn signal. (Check that connector.) Assuming that it turns into a ground and goes to the LED Control Unit, it could mean that the dimmer switch is going bad or the Control unit. Since you already tested the Control unit see if you can borrow a dimmer switch and plug it in instead of the one on the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Just throwing this out there... Are you making observations of the actual headlight itself or just the indicator on the dash? Perhaps the dash indicator is faulty.
Xedos9er

Post by Xedos9er »

It´s the headlight. The low beam has no indicator. At the moment it´s working again. Last time i removed all insulation tape on the wiring to the LED Control Unit connector to check the wiring. Did not see anything, but to get sure I recrimped the bridge (see attached screenshot).
Seems like it´s working now. I think it´s a matter of time, till it fails again. I ordered an used wiring loom, if it fails again, I will exchange the whole wiring loom. Don´t have the time to do more time consuming failure investigation.
Attachments
LED.JPG
LED.JPG (47.26 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I believe that any wires in the Honda wiring diagram that have green as their base color eventually go to ground. That means that the one you circled goes to ground somewhere. Just FYI.

I am glad that you have it working now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Check the plugs for rust, I installed a used wiring harness for the turn signals into my USA PCX, this pass summer. After the install I noticed that the light bulbs weren't working, it turned out to be rust on the ground wire to the bulb socket. So, check your plugs for rust, any surface rust might cause weird side effects.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

...and that is what I have been trying to point out. Plugs are notorious for holding water, which causes corrosion. When I was in the military I spent two weeks trying to trace down an electrical problem that turned out to be an unrelated plug that the wire just happened to run through. Water had gotten trapped in the plug some how and was causing corrosion, which sent the signal to all sorts of different places.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150