Ah oh...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Ah oh...

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:First all I have a question. Now that I have changed out the coolant reservoir do I put antifreeze in it or do I remove the radiator cap and start the bike like I would a car...it has been so long since I have had to handle antifreeze that I can't even remember how I added more to a car. Do I use the reservoir in either process?? I have time to learn since I have to go to the dealer to get some anyway.

Next, the Radio Frequency procedure. For those who have not had one, they essentially go in and fry the nerves. A bit painful so I opted for semi unconscious. I was fine for a few hours but oh when everything woke up! Pain! But it should help with the constant pain I had running down my left leg from too many surgeries.

Next, mods. I needed to adjust my extra spot lights. I also added 2 more little strobe lights and set up some Junction boxes inside of the storage compartment for all those wires that go directly to the battery now. I still have more lights to attach but I may wait on them. I love doing mods...
I'm not sure on the antifreeze. I know in a car you fill the radiator, run the engine with the cap off and then fill while the engine is running to remove any air. Then, I fill the external reservoir to the proper level.

The RF to the spine, I had once. I need it again. But, my wonderful health insurance only allowed lidocaine for anesthesia. IT HURT!!! I thought the shots to the spine were bad until I got the RF treatment.

I have a BUNCH of mods to do on my scoot. I just got in more COB LEDs, a 12V to USB panel mount, EL wire, a new seat cover, my spot lights are on the way, as are the parts for my Flux Capacitor. I have a set of strobes, But they're small and I don't know if I really want them on the scoot or not. But the flashing of the strobes might draw a little attention from cagers and make them see me better.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Now that I have changed out the coolant reservoir do I put antifreeze in it or do I remove the radiator cap and start the bike like I would a car...
The typical process is to fill the radiator, wait a few minutes for the fluid to bleed into the engine ( the thermostat will be closed/sealed ) and then top off the radiator. With the radiator cap still off, start the engine and let it get warm/hot enough for the thermostat to open and the pump to start circulating the fluid. This circulation will chase air out of the engine, which will create air burps in the radiator and lower its fluid level as the fluid replaces the air in the engine, so keep adding fluid to the radiator to keep it full. Rev the engine a bit a few times to work up pump pressure.

When the engine is hot and the burping stops, replace the radiator cap ( Don't let the hot coolant scald you ) and fill the overflow tank to the full level mark. Stop the engine. When the engine and system cools, it should draw fluid back from the overflow tank into the system as the coolant contracts. It's a small system, so it's will not be much. Then when the engine is completely cool, check the fluid level in the overflow again and ensure it's within the acceptable range marks.

I looked in the service manual and cannot locate a bleeder cap or nut on the engine to assist with purging the system's air, so please wait until a PCX person experienced with this can verify / correct before proceeding.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

dgnyberg,
That Flux capacitor should give you a bit of zing!
If I were in your neck of the woods I would be right over to help with those mods. Go ahead and install the little strobe lights. I now have 6 little ones that are probably 1 inch across each. They may not be seen in the daytime but they will definitely be seen at night. I know, as with most of us, you don't ride much at night. Well, it does happen, so put them on and run them through a switch on the handlebar. Then you will have the option of turning them on or not. If you break down on the side of the road at night you will want to be noticed, so wire them directly to the battery.

springer1,
THANK YOU! ....Really, really, thank you. I have to go to the dealer to get some antifreeze, but at least I now know what to do with it. By the way, do I have to take the plastics off to get to the radiator cap? I had to look for the cap and noticed that it is on the lower right side, under a black panel/cover. If the cap isn't hard to get off without me taking stuff off, it would be much much better.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:dgnyberg,
That Flux capacitor should give you a bit of zing!
If I were in your neck of the woods I would be right over to help with those mods. Go ahead and install the little strobe lights. I now have 6 little ones that are probably 1 inch across each. They may not be seen in the daytime but they will definitely be seen at night. I know, as with most of us, you don't ride much at night. Well, it does happen, so put them on and run them through a switch on the handlebar. Then you will have the option of turning them on or not. If you break down on the side of the road at night you will want to be noticed, so wire them directly to the battery.
Yeah, I'm not fit for riding right now, but I am healing up. So, nows the best time to work on the mods!!

I like your insight on the strobes. I will definitely be adding them!! THANKS!! Contrary to most scooter riders, I actually do ride at night a lot. I live about 30 miles east of San Antonio and we have regular rides through the town and surrounding areas and we meet at about 7pm and ride until about midnight. I may even put in a flashing circuit for my under-glow lights for better night visibility.

One of my rides, I rode through an area with A LOT of deer. I kept it slow and used my bright flood lights. I stopped counting deer at 30 and I saw a few Javelina. Another night ride, I missed and Armadillo by about 6".
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Fill it with the specified Honda coolant.
I think its a 50/50 antifreeze water mix.
Make sure you get the right stuff, if you fill with the wrong coolant bad things can happen.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

dgnyberg,
As long as you have the strobe lights and the flood lights your underbody glow lights will be enough without having to flash them. Make that decision after you have had the strobe lights on for at least one night ride. When I was much younger I lived in Big Spring, Texas and my night rides were to places where we could see the night sky without the benefit of city lights. It gives you a feeling of being very little out there. There were times when I rode my Harley to Carlsbad, New Mexico at night and it was really scary with all those animals out. Talk about dangerous. Texas Jack rabbits the size of dogs, armadillos, deer, coyotes, and even cows. I would NOT do a night ride there now that I am older and wiser. Hitting one of those animals would hurt.
gn2,
Do I just ask the dealer for Honda antifreeze and he will know what my bike Uses? I know that I could get regular old antifreeze from Walmart but I would rather trust the Motorcycle Shop that has taken care of our bikes in the past to give me the proper stuff. Hopefully...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I would think that the shop would know, and I do believe that it is best not to mix brands. I've seen both pink and green ethylene glycol; they seem to have different additive packages. Having some understanding of chemistry, it would not surprise me if the additives didn't play well with each other. It can't cost THAT much to just get the "right" stuff.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

This is the stuff I bought at the dealership last May when I got my new PCX. Will probably get around to using it when the level starts to drop. . .but OK for now. 8)

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08C50-C321 ... B0039OTLRW
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel,

PCX150Rider has the part number in his post. You should be able to get it at any Honda dealer.

As for night rides, I go REAL SLOW out in the country. Every light on and my head on a swivel!!
A guy I worked with hit a deer with his Judge Dredd Victory bike. Totalled the bike, but he just had bumps and bruises.
But, the PCX has no where near the bulk/protection his Victory had.

As for the underglow lights, I'm not sure what I was thinking. They need to be full on. But I will definitely add the strobes.

I live 12+ miles from town. Every night is a starry night, unless it's cloudy.

Dave
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think it's a non silicate antifreeze. Silicate may cause damage.

Maddiedog caught me with this years ago. :oops:
Techno
Year: 2011

Post by Techno »

Hi Mel

If the loss of coolant was just from the reservoir then just fill the new one to the upper line. Run the bike for a few miles to get it up to operating temperature so that the thermostat has opened a few times. Let the bike cool down over night and check the reservoir it should be between the lines, if low top up, if over either leave it will sort it's self or syphon out to between the lines.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Don't ask for antifreeze ask for coolant at ye Honda shoppe Mel.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong