The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 pm 
Regular User
Regular User

Year: 2016
Color: WHITE
I read the JPN manual, there is a line lin Japanese like "groove residual" below the tyre specs, saying 1.5mm for front, 2.0mm for rear.
Do anyone understand the meaning.

My concern is, as I plan to install a 120mm tyre for rear, should this mean the min. residual between tyre and fender, then, 120mm tyre will get this out of spec.

Thank you.

Attachments:
JPN Manual tyre.jpg
JPN Manual tyre.jpg [ 46.35 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Year: 2014
Color: Silver
I'm confused. the 1.5mm / 2.0mm is just minimum tread depth to ensure that the tyre has sufficient ability to extract water from under the tyre in the rain to minimise the chance of aquaplaning (never a good thing on a bike!), and also ensures you don't get a blowout at 100km in a loaded turn because the tyre got too thin in the centre (if it gets flat on the outside - but is still rounded on the inside - then eventually the two "meet in the middle") (I've run two rear tyres too low and been lucky that I was only going slowly when they deflated - I won't run a rear over 10,000km now - just not worth the risk to life and limb to save a few $$$).

In terms of tyre sizes, my strong recommendation is to stick with what the bike is designed for - which in this case is a 100/90-14M/C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 pm 
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Color: Fast White
I believe it refers to what @TheMaverick is talking about, tire tread depth. Not about tire and fender clearance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:54 am 
Regular User
Regular User

Color: WHITE
TheMaverick wrote:
I'm confused. the 1.5mm / 2.0mm is just minimum tread depth to ensure that the tyre has sufficient ability to extract water from under the tyre in the rain to minimise the chance of aquaplaning (never a good thing on a bike!), and also ensures you don't get a blowout at 100km in a loaded turn because the tyre got too thin in the centre (if it gets flat on the outside - but is still rounded on the inside - then eventually the two "meet in the middle") (I've run two rear tyres too low and been lucky that I was only going slowly when they deflated - I won't run a rear over 10,000km now - just not worth the risk to life and limb to save a few $$$).

In terms of tyre sizes, my strong recommendation is to stick with what the bike is designed for - which in this case is a 100/90-14M/C

Thank you, Sir.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:09 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Year: 2013
Color: blk
Center tire tread depth