The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Broken Honda trunk box
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
I guess the pictures tell the story....both of the plastic arms that prevents the lid from opening too far, broke at the same time without any abnormal force.

I assuming replacement arms would not be cheap, as it's connected to the plastic "slot-nut" so you can't just replace the arm.....will see how much Honda wants for a new set

So for the short term, I just did a "MacGyver fix" with some 22 gauge wire, will see how that holds up

Has anyone seen this problem before?


Attachments:
P8050015.JPG
P8050015.JPG [ 183.06 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]
P8050012.JPG
P8050012.JPG [ 171.44 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]
P8050008.JPG
P8050008.JPG [ 174.44 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Posts: 1080
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Year: 2017
Color: White
Definitely something MacGyver would do. :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is to take a couple of heavy duty fishing leaders and modify them so that both ends will hook onto the existing holes. It would be rust resistant and plasti-coated and probably hold up a lot longer that the original arms. Plus you could put them on or remove them as easy as putting on or removing a hook. :geek:

My EMGO trunk (older style) didn't have any arms on it. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
PCX150Rider wrote:
Definitely something MacGyver would do. :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is to take a couple of heavy duty fishing leaders and modify them so that both ends will hook onto the existing holes. It would be rust resistant and plasti-coated and probably hold up a lot longer that the original arms. Plus you could put them on or remove them as easy as putting on or removing a hook. :geek:

My EMGO trunk (older style) didn't have any arms on it. 8)


Thanks PCX150Rider....not a bad idea, kind of an upscale MacGyver fix

I dropped by my local Honda shop, they said they don't have replacements on hand but will check with Honda to see if available, and how many $$$.....my guess is they won't be cheap, or shall we say a bit more than a couple fishing leaders

cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 570
Location: Danvers MA USA
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red
Seems to me that a couple of bits of line would do a better job anyway. One one side, two noose sort of knots that would snug up to the studs and on the other side, make one loop adjustable so that the strains are met at the same time.

You probably do want restraints on both sides, or the hinges will not be loaded the same, and eventually one will fail.

_________________
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:06 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Posts: 3835
Location: Marietta, Ga USA
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer

_________________
Currently own:
Two Red 2013 Honda PCX150s

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:59 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7806
Location: The centre of the universe
Mel46 wrote:
Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer



Same

_________________
Pontification intolerant


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
GeorgeSK wrote:
Seems to me that a couple of bits of line would do a better job anyway. One one side, two noose sort of knots that would snug up to the studs and on the other side, make one loop adjustable so that the strains are met at the same time.

You probably do want restraints on both sides, or the hinges will not be loaded the same, and eventually one will fail.


yup...I did both side, the pic shows the original broken arm, just wanted everyone to see the before/after

I'm not much of a knot man, but I'm sure I'll be able to MacGyver it a bit better than it is now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
Mel46 wrote:
Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer


Sometimes they design a weak link of their products just so they can cash in on replacement parts, but in this case it appears to not be a common fault as they didn't have the parts on hand.

The final outcome will be based on the cost of the replacement parts.......if I can get both arms kits for around $20 CND ($16 USA) I may consider it.

My gut tells me they will want a stupid ridiculous price which will clearly motivate me to implement an upscale MacGyver fix

I predict they will want about $30 per kit, so $60 CDN ($48 USA) for both sides.....(I won't find out until Tuesday, as Monday is a national holiday)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:09 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Posts: 1080
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Year: 2017
Color: White
Quote:
Sometimes they design a weak link of their products just so they can cash in on replacement parts, but in this case it appears to not be a common fault as they didn't have the parts on hand.

The final outcome will be based on the cost of the replacement parts.......if I can get both arms kits for around $20 CND ($16 USA) I may consider it.

My gut tells me they will want a stupid ridiculous price which will clearly motivate me to implement an upscale MacGyver fix

I predict they will want about $30 per kit, so $60 CDN ($48 USA) for both sides.....(I won't find out until Tuesday, as Monday is a national holiday)


If you find "nirvana" with the MacGyver solution. . .yet feel compelled to get more stuff. . .put your money where it will do more good and add more storage.

There are some saddle bags out there you can get at a good price. https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scooter-Logic-Saddlebag/dp/B00386LMZU

And while you are thinking about it. . .something to listen to and calm the mind. To seek the path of scooter enlightenment is a lifelong quest. ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
Well the Honda dealership got back to me and has made my choice really simple.

They says replacement arms are not available as such they recommended a complete new trunk box...yeah right LOL

I think I'll be creating an upgraded MacGyver fix this weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Posts: 1080
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Year: 2017
Color: White
There is a lot more good than bad left in your trunk box. :geek:

Definitely worth saving and once you get passed the psychological barrier that it's "not perfect" like it was when it was new you'll start to grin and be proud of your accomplishment. :D

I'll bet Richard Dean Anderson has wondered at least once about how many people he influenced on that TV series to solve everyday problems with great DIY solutions. I've got several seasons of MacGyver DVD sets. . .my kids insisted on getting them. ;)

I spotted this video on YouTube. . .one of his lady fans put together. :lol:



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 570
Location: Danvers MA USA
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red
If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

And for a specific recommendation, the Hangman's noose:
http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose

_________________
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
PCX150Rider wrote:

I'll bet Richard Dean Anderson has wondered at least once about how many people he influenced on that TV series to solve everyday problems with great DIY solutions. I've got several seasons of MacGyver DVD sets. . .my kids insisted on getting them. ;)

I spotted this video on YouTube. . .one of his lady fans put together. :lol:


good video, I haven't seen that show in quite some time.

I read in Wikipedia that the show's producer just missed getting the word "MacGyverism" into the Webster's Dictionary


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
GeorgeSK wrote:
If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

And for a specific recommendation, the Hangman's noose:
http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose

thanks GeorgeSK....looks like they got every knot covered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7806
Location: The centre of the universe
GeorgeSK wrote:
If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

And for a specific recommendation, the Hangman's noose:
http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose



Excellent. Bedtime watching. That'll frighten the wife... :D

_________________
Pontification intolerant


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
I replaced the wire with a shoe lace, looks better but functionally not as good as the wire would bend inwards, where as the string can go any which way and can get caught in the lid when closing.

I think I'll go back to the wire concept, but will use black wire and make it look better


Attachments:
P8120001.JPG
P8120001.JPG [ 177.06 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Posts: 3835
Location: Marietta, Ga USA
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
Here is a thought. Use the braided wire used to hang heavy pictures. Then put some black shrink wrap around it, and presto...looks good and functions beautifully.

_________________
Currently own:
Two Red 2013 Honda PCX150s

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Vancouver BC
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black
Mel46 wrote:
Here is a thought. Use the braided wire used to hang heavy pictures. Then put some black shrink wrap around it, and presto...looks good and functions beautifully.


good idea....I have shrink wrap & wire, that might work well 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Posts: 1080
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Year: 2017
Color: White
I think we can keep going with this thread. There must be another level of genius yet to be discovered. We can't stop now. . .. :o

Mel has set us off into a new direction. . .. o_O



Found this on the quest for more knowledge and wisdom. :geek:



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 am 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 570
Location: Danvers MA USA
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red
If you want the lines to come inward, perhaps you could loop another bit of line through a moderate sized nut (3/8"? 4-6 mm?) and tie the line to the center of each support cord.

Or not worry, unless the trapped line is screwing up your box's seal or offending your sense of "right".

_________________
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], tjupille and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!