Refitting the rear wheel

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Refitting the rear wheel

Post by you you »

This might help someone, you never know.

Just changed the rear tyre and sprayed the "swinging arm bracket. Had a devil of a job getting the wheel off and on again. Damaged the brake shoes. Brake was completely backed off.

New shoes were the same until I took the sharp edge off the shoe material so they could have a lead into the drum.

Easy peasy after that.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Refitting the rear wheel

Post by homie »

I'm up for the swing arm soon, just finished a chin with the coating.
Attachments
chin2.jpg
chin2.jpg (206.07 KiB) Viewed 469 times
chin.jpg
chin.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 469 times
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

you you wrote:This might help someone, you never know.

Just changed the rear tyre and sprayed the "swinging arm bracket. Had a devil of a job getting the wheel off and on again. Damaged the brake shoes. Brake was completely backed off.

New shoes were the same until I took the sharp edge off the shoe material so they could have a lead into the drum.

Easy peasy after that.
Thanks for the tip, you you. Just like removing and replacing the front caliper assemblies on your BCR. A little file action on the pads and the calipers slip right on and off. Ezee is good.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

montliz44 wrote:
you you wrote:This might help someone, you never know.

Easy peasy after that.
Thanks for the tip, you you. Just like removing and replacing the front caliper assemblies on your BCR. A little file action on the pads and the calipers slip right on and off. Ezee is good.

Johnny

Yes. Just didnt think of it with the originals. Must have been a small lip. Last time I changed brake shoes was the early 80s :D
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You mentioned that you had a bugger of a time removing the rear wheel.I take it you mean the brake shoes was engaged with the drum.That is not a normal situation if you properly backed off the adjustment rod.Something amiss with the adjustment,wrong size shoes,or other abnormality.There should be no need to chamfer the leading edge to put the wheel on.You may be dragging.You should re check the installation and especially the adjustment mechanism and or the anchoring studs.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Interesting. Mine came off easily, as long as I pulled it straight off. Went back on easily too, as long as I had it lined up and put it straight on.

All I had to do was loosen the rear fender bolts and tie the rear shock up to the turn signal stalk, so it wasn't in the way.

Just a reference point.
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:Interesting. Mine came off easily, as long as I pulled it straight off. Went back on easily too, as long as I had it lined up and put it straight on.

All I had to do was loosen the rear fender bolts and tie the rear shock up to the turn signal stalk, so it wasn't in the way.

Just a reference point.
Mine was a complete g1t. I presumed it was the little bit of corrosion on the splines and shaft as the swingarm took some persuasion too.

Glad I did it just to get some grease in there.