12v socket (cigarette lighter charge)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

megalodon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: pearl blue

12v socket (cigarette lighter charge)

Post by megalodon »

hi guys,

sometimes i don't ride my motorcycle like 2 or 3 weeks , sometimes weather is getting really cold here -20C / -4F . too cold is not good for batteries i know that, i have battery charger and it has option for 12v socket charger. but i don't wanna keep open seat for charge connection into the battery all night, my question is ;

can i charge my battery from 12v socket directly ? does anyone tried that before? my charger is 1 amp max capacity and pcx charge socket supports 1 amp too..my charger is Black&Decker BDV090.everything looks fine but i want to be sure about it before use.
Attachments
9134155530290.jpg
9134155530290.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: 12v socket (cigarette lighter charge)

Post by GeorgeSK »

So long as the socket has power with the ignition off, you should be fine. If the fuse is good for 1 amp going out, it should be fine for one amp going in. Bear in mind that I am not an electrical engineer, so I might be totally off the wall.

As a test, plug something into the 12V outlet and see if it is hot with the ignition off. If it isn't, you could use the quick connect battery terminal lead in your picture and just have it run out under your seat for cold weather recharge. I don't think the seat gasket would get too upset.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
megalodon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by megalodon »

GeorgeSK wrote:So long as the socket has power with the ignition off, you should be fine. If the fuse is good for 1 amp going out, it should be fine for one amp going in. Bear in mind that I am not an electrical engineer, so I might be totally off the wall.

As a test, plug something into the 12V outlet and see if it is hot with the ignition off. If it isn't, you could use the quick connect battery terminal lead in your picture and just have it run out under your seat for cold weather recharge. I don't think the seat gasket would get too upset.
thank you GeorsSK..i have usb mobile charger, it has a light on it when it's active. let me try it, if it starts to charge my phone when igniton off , i will not use battery terminal overthere..if it's not i will use my charger overhere..thank you again for your advice and time
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I believe that the 12v outlet is deactivated when the ignition is turned to off.
There should be a hole in the seat hinge that will allow you to pass the external power leads directly from the battery to outside of the storage compartment. That way, you can connect the charger by way of that cable whenever you wish to charge the battery. You can also attach other devices to that lead as necessary when riding (such as a USB outlet), and it will give you a direct connection to the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... 15&sr=8-15
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

The accessory port is only on when the scooter is on. For me the answer was to add a quick connect to the battery, which I use to power the alarm, tire inflator (with scooter running) and a battery charger should the need arise.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

megalodon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by megalodon »

hi guys , today i checked my scooter 12v socket, it's active only when the engine is turn on, ignition is on 12v is on, igniton off , 12v socket off..it's mean i can charge battery from there with battery socket right? helmet hook not allows me to cover seat off. cable will get damage by the time use i guess , anyway, i will try to charge it from there and text here again results for other friends let to know..
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

hi guys , today i checked my scooter 12v socket, it's active only when the engine is turn on, ignition is on 12v is on, igniton off , 12v socket off..it's mean i can charge battery from there with battery socket right?
If the socket is ONLY energized with the ignition ON, doesn't that mean there is no connectivity from the socket to the battery for charging when the ignition is OFF?

You should do what you like - but if it were me, I'd stick with charging the battery directly to its terminals with the ignition turned OFF, especially given the PCX alternator / starter circuitry.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

I own a 12 volt 11/2 / 0.75 amp charger with a cigarette lighter male end. Very useful. Just keep in mind that car and most motorcycle female cigarette lighter recepticles
are powered through the accessory position only. This is to keep you from running a radio or DVD player all night long killing a battery ! Those outlets are powered only with the key in the ignition, key turned at least to the accessory position. Key out, the cigarette lighter is disconnected from the battery.
Therefore, to make this useful on a Honda PCX150, you should run black and red wires going to a mountable cigarette lighter recepticle directly through ring terminals to the positive and negative terminals of the scooter battery. In case there is a short someday in the future, it might be nice to add one or two 15 amp fuses or circuit breakers to the circuit. I personally believe in fusing BOTH sides. So what would THAT give you ? Answer: one, the ability to charge the battery at any time with a battery charger with a male end. Why do that ? Answer: to recharge a discharged battery, and to insure that the battery is fully charged year round for longest life, Also you could charge another motorcycle battery. Three it becomes a power source for charging gps's, i-phones, emergency lights, or even powering heated gloves or a suit in the winter (as long as you can keep the amperage below 8 amperes !)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If you put one of these on your battery you won't have any problem charging the battery or connecting accessories.
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica-Mo ... 3C0A3YZSVR
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"Beam me up, Scotty" or is it, "Scotty, beam me up?" :roll:
Anywho, sharing some pics of Battery Tender, accessory leads, etc

Simples :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.73 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

A 12V pocket lighter is a bit of much, isn't it?
I've learned most of the 48 States on match books!
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Somewhere among my misc junk I have a 12 volt accessory receptacle that plugs into the battery accessory cable that comes with the Battery Tender that I bought. I eventually shelved it because I mostly used it as a usb port, but I found one of those and no longer needed the receptacle. Determine what you would use the outlet for and I bet you could find a connector that would have it on it already.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150