my pcx was hot wired

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SmithBlue
Year: 2015
Color: nightstar black

my pcx was hot wired

Post by SmithBlue »

Hello,
my beloved toy was stolen a few weeks ago. Thankfully the police found it and now its back home. However, it has a lot of issues. The most annoying is that it was hot wired. The ignition is bypassed and once I connect the battery the electrics turn on. So to turn off the bike now I have to unplug the battery. Is it easy to fix this? What could I do? I would prefer to fix it by myself as it can get really expensive in my area. One of the parts that they broke is the fuel cap. No idea why. Also, one fuse from the box that is near the battery was removed.

thank you!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: my pcx was hot wired

Post by Mel46 »

Good luck with it. I don't know what part of the world you are in because it is not in your profile, so I have to guess that it is an English speaking nation. I hope that you have some experience with repairing bikes. Electrical is not easy but can be done with enough time and patience. I would think that it would be more beneficial to let the shop do it, but that too depends on where you are located.
I hope this electrical diagram will help you, though you will have to pull the plastics off to trace some of the wires.
Honda_PCX_2014-more_Electrical_wiring.pdf
(67.41 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Good luck. This is for a 2014 but may work for your bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Sorry to hear this. I'm guessing that it's not something you can get paid for by your insurance company?

My thoughts are along the same lines as Mel46; avionics in the Air Force was my trade for 7 years (so probably fair to say that electrical components & wiring are no stranger to me) and I wouldn't like to take on too big a job like this. It possibly comes down to just what they've done to it; if they've taken off panels to get to the wiring then I guess you're going to have to do the same to see just what they've done - if they've hotwired it with "surgical precision" then the repair may not be too bad - but if they've attacked it with a rip-sh*t-and-bust approach then there's probably significant damage that will mean either replacing parts or a LOT of delicate and time-consuming time to rebuild things.

Probably comes down to cost & convenience -v- time, effort, and inclination. Let us know what you decide and how you get on. Any friends you like projects like this who might like to help?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

SmithBlue wrote:my beloved toy was stolen a few weeks ago!
There was another here recently with a jimmied PCX. They left the front open after hot wiring. If I were you I would start taking the windscreen and upper front cover off per the service manual. This is as far as you need go to see any visual tampering around the ignition and was all the thief needed to remove to steal one. Do you have a service manual?

We should search for a 'how to hot wire a PCX' on the net because this is the second case in recent days. Might be some ne'er do well posting a YT video. If we find the source we could roll back the dirty deed. Go fishing boys and girls, I will get together some snippets if he doesn't have a service manual.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

What you are saying is that they bypassed the ignition switch directly wiring it to the battery.Just undo the bypass wiring and reconnect the existing factory wires they should all be color matched.Remove anything not factory and reconnect .Should not be too bad depending on how they got to the ignition switch is damage.
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

Thank you all for your replies.
The panel near the ignition was broken and underneath I noticed two not so nicely connected cables that may be the source of the problem .I will upload a photo once I go back home today. I stay in London and my insurance does not cover thief . I'm not stranger with electronics but it is not exactly my expertise either. Thank you for the wiring schema but I am afraid that it is for the old model and has a few parts different. I don't have the service manual..is there a PDF online or a place where I could find it?

Thank you all.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SmithBlue wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I don't have the service manual..is there a PDF online or a place where I could find it?
Unfortunately there is not a 2015 SM PDF to get yet.
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

here is the best shot i have :
mini.jpg
mini.jpg (984.24 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
the brown and blackon the right are connected the red and white/black on the left are not connected with anything
any ideas of how it should be? Reminder: now the ignition is bypassed and the electrics just turn on once I connect the battery. also, the socket in the glove box does not have power when I connect the battery

thank you
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Now that's encoraging... The R/W and most likely the B/W are your ignition wires. So were they cut or torn away from the switch? See diagram... and I would get the black and brown separated looking for clues to how they were originally. Black and brown wires are also going to the combi switch and you can see they don't belong spliced together... separate them first.

2015 wiring diagram attached... see the combination switch at the top left
Attachments
PCX LED Wiring.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

Hello, thanks a lot for the diagram. It seems that it is the 4 cables that are connected to the combination switch. It is in the up left side of the diagram and also in lower left side it is it's schema.

Here is a photo from the internet. I think it is this 4p connector.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=168 ... zhJEChFRM:

And here I need your help. Any ideas of how it should be connected?

Thanks
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You are unable the identify the original configuration of the wires? Even with their colors? Not sure where the damage is but I imagine it to be within the line I circled. Is the connector completely gone or still in it's receptor with cut wires sticking out? Without I tear mine down to see where this connector is located I can't know. The SM does not have a actual photograph of this connectors location.

You should be able to sort this UNLESS the male end of the connector has been removed from the female end and cut completely off and no where to be found. So to be clear do you see the white plug in the picture still inserted in it's receptor? If so unplug it and go about the business of soldering and fixing each severed wire to its mate. Plug it back in and fire it up one stage at a time watching for familiar dash activity before starting the engine. Mind your fuses as you might blow one. This would be good indicator you crossed hot wires in the process, so work with battery disconnected.
Attachments
ingnition.jpg
ingnition.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Bro I hope you are getting this figured out. All the clues are there and everything the bad man did can be undone. Challenging I'm sure, but so satisfying if you solve the puzzle. I know you can do this and I wish we could see what you see. So curious am I, I want to get in there with you right now!
WHAT'S HAPPENING!
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

homie wrote:Bro I hope you are getting this figured out. All the clues are there and everything the bad man did can be undone. Challenging I'm sure, but so satisfying if you solve the puzzle. I know you can do this and I wish we could see what you see. So curious am I, I want to get in there with you right now!
WHAT'S HAPPENING!
Thanks a lot for your help!
Basically, I was at work when I saw the diagram and I figured out what it is so I had to wait to go back home. But then it started raining and I did not want to open the motorbike in the rain. Anyway, I looked and I can't find the 4p connector. the 4 cables are not coming from the ignition but from a bunch of many cables. I need to remove the plastics in order to see clearly what is happening.
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

hello everybody ... its been a while since i made this post. I went vacations and i was 2 weeks on bed ill and some more time that it was raining and i could not touch my motorbike. So now i resumed the works on it. I went to the garage and the asked me 250 GBP just for the work.So i think it will worth my time to give it a try. The plastics are broken and i need to remove them. I have removed seat but the side plastics are so difficult. When i try to remove the next part i just realize that i need and different tool for that.
My problem now is the inner screws!! The ones that are inside the plastic fairings and they have like 4 cm space between the body of the mc and the plastic fairing. How am I supposed to remove them? i have mini screwdrivers but are all too big and i have L shaped screwdrivers too but these are big as well!
Is there any tool specific for this job?
Also in the videos that i have seen people use some plastic tools to remove the plastics. I use a credit card with half success. Could someone point me to the proper tools please?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SmithBlue wrote:hello everybody ... its been a while since i made this post. I went vacations and i was 2 weeks on bed ill and some more time that it was raining and i could not touch my motorbike. So now i resumed the works on it. I went to the garage and the asked me 250 GBP just for the work.So i think it will worth my time to give it a try. The plastics are broken and i need to remove them. I have removed seat but the side plastics are so difficult. When i try to remove the next part i just realize that i need and different tool for that.
My problem now is the inner screws!! The ones that are inside the plastic fairings and they have like 4 cm space between the body of the mc and the plastic fairing. How am I supposed to remove them? i have mini screwdrivers but are all too big and i have L shaped screwdrivers too but these are big as well!
Is there any tool specific for this job?
Also in the videos that i have seen people use some plastic tools to remove the plastics. I use a credit card with half success. Could someone point me to the proper tools please?

Where are you based? There may be someone local who can help. There is another thread on a similar issue. Hotwired and damaged bike
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Search trim tools on amazon..like $15 max.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:Search trim tools on amazon..like $15 max.

eBay too in the uk
SmithBlue

Post by SmithBlue »

I am based in London , UK . The screw that caused me the biggest problem, in the end, should be removed after another part. But if there is anyone in London who could help I would be glad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SmithBlue wrote:I am based in London , UK . The screw that caused me the biggest problem, in the end, should be removed after another part. But if there is anyone in London who could help I would be glad

Too far for me - North Yorkshire :). Hopefully someone else wil chime in.

Taking the plastics off the first time is the hardest. First of all they have never been apart before and secondly you haven't the knack. And there's always at least one fastener you forget...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If someone has a service. Manual for a 2015 model they could send you the chapter on plastics removal, including the the order in which the panels are removed. That would probably help you a lot.
I have a 2013 model so I can't be that much of a help to you, but for mine you start at the rear and work your way forward. Taking off the windshield and control panel cover only gets you so far. To get the rest of the way would require starting at the back, taking your time, and being organized. Most of the wires run along the right side.
I am sure that the connector for the ignition has some kind of clear rubber cover to protect the connector. If you don't find that connector you can purchase another one, but first you need to get to that point. Take your time and you will get there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers