headlight replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

headlight replacement

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

I am looking for an eventual LED headlight replacement for my current 2013 PCX150.

Just some thing that fits without modifications, and is neither so bright, that other cars flash their high beams at me, when it is on low beam, but yet a little brighter than stock.

I prefer something that lasts.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: headlight replacement

Post by you you »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:I am looking for an eventual LED headlight replacement for my current 2013 PCX150.

Just some thing that fits without modifications, and is neither so bright, that other cars flash their high beams at me, when it is on low beam, but yet a little brighter than stock.

I prefer something that lasts.
Headlight replacement or bulb replacement?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Are you looking to replace the assembly or just the bulbs? Replacing the assembly with the led version would be quite a challenge, and the plastics around the old assembly would not fit the new one.

On the other hand, if you just want more light, you can replace the original bulbs (HS5) with xenon ones. You could probably find those on eBay, or online. Just make sure it stays within the current guidelines (35/30w)

Also, the headlight assembly for the 2013 model in the United States only uses the main headlight sockets. I pulled my assembly, drilled out places for additional sockets, wired them up and now have quite a bit more lights than previously.
Complete.jpg
Complete.jpg (269.93 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Newly wired headlight assembly

I also have spotlights on each side of my front forks with a switch on my handlebar. I have plenty of light at night now.
Front lights now.jpg
Front lights now.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Don't replace-just add a few.
Attachments
lites.jpg
lites.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

There's a challenge for you Mel :D :D :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oldguy...come back, we need your input to go further. Cha cha cha...in the meantime we'll be tossing in some humor. Chuckles are good for the soul. Upwards wrinkles always better than downwards (Damn gravity!)

OhMy God NADman! Look at All "That!" :lol: Is that a buried Vespa? Spotlight heavy? Ya think? :lol:
"Blinded by the Light...."

Anywayyy...
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Just got these for my Honda... truck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH ... UTF8&psc=1
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I can't imagine those additional lights on that scooter actually working. Ok, maybe with an extra battery and alternator. Hmmm....so what do drivers say when they see that "thing" coming at them?!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

NADman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by NADman »

I like the boots.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

Mel46 wrote:I can't imagine those additional lights on that scooter actually working. Ok, maybe with an extra battery and alternator. Hmmm....so what do drivers say when they see that "thing" coming at them?!

I didn't mean quite that much light.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Get these and you will be happy.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/325273827 ... 5880816320

The HS5 bulbs that come in the 2013 PCX are different from the ones above. It is not easy to get to the bulbs on the PCX, but these bulbs are worth the effort.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

theres a ebay headlamp replacement. I asked the seller and he states new assembly uses h1 bulbs inside.
Attachments
pcx headlamp.jpg
pcx headlamp.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
pcx headlamp.jpg
pcx headlamp.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

H1 ?? Really? Here in the United States? Well, if that is the case then try bulbs before believing. Also, you can change out any socket to what you want. You just have to make sure the bulbs aren't so hot that they melt the plastics around that assembly, and that the current draw is not more than the bike's alternator puts out.

Oh, and I recall someone mentioning long ago on this forum that the PCX sold in Thailand have lower wattage bulbs than those in the United States. I don't know if that is true or not.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

paulcoup
Color: Black

Post by paulcoup »

If that gent above 'checks his lights and mirrors' before going anywhere - he wouldn't.
JeffPCX150

Post by JeffPCX150 »

Hi Everyone I am new to this forum. I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150. The Lo beam headlights went out a year ago. I switched on Hi beams which worked but now they went out. The Honda dealer charges $70 a bulb plus shipping. So I ordered some replacement bulbs from China for $10. Unfortunately I can't remove the old bulbs. I tried the recommended procedure I found on this forum to reach up under and pull off the boot cover, push and twist out the bulb etc. I can't seem to get a good and strong grip. Is there another way to remove the old bulbs? Removing the windscreen? Removing the front side panels? Or do I need to find someone with smaller and or stronger hands?

Any help would be appreciated. Also the new bulbs I bought are Halogen. Would I be better off buying some LED replacements from Aliexpress? If so what would you recommend?

Thank you.

Jeff
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by 150pcxer »

JeffPCX150 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:21 am Hi Everyone I am new to this forum. I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150. The Lo beam headlights went out a year ago. I switched on Hi beams which worked but now they went out. The Honda dealer charges $70 a bulb plus shipping. So I ordered some replacement bulbs from China for $10. Unfortunately I can't remove the old bulbs. I tried the recommended procedure I found on this forum to reach up under and pull off the boot cover, push and twist out the bulb etc. I can't seem to get a good and strong grip. Is there another way to remove the old bulbs? Removing the windscreen? Removing the front side panels? Or do I need to find someone with smaller and or stronger hands?

Any help would be appreciated. Also the new bulbs I bought are Halogen. Would I be better off buying some LED replacements from Aliexpress? If so what would you recommend?

Thank you.

Jeff
I'm not a technical-minded person by any means, but I've changed the headlight bulbs before, just recently. I've also had trouble at first removing it on my first try.

Pull out the rubber boot cover until your fingers have enough grip on the connector. Bring your face up and look at the bulb directly. At this point, I did not push it. All I did was to twist it clockwise and it should come loose. Replace with a new bulb. I wore gloves to prevent my skin oil from touching the bulb. Lock it back in by twisting counter-clockwise. Fit back the rubber boot cover. That's all there is to it, imo.

Like you, I bought halogen HS5 bulbs from aliexpress and from the 2nd day onwards, the high beam did not work. I ordered from webike instead and they work perfectly, in both low-beam and high-beam. Japan-made stuff.

https://www.webike.sg/products/21946790.html
https://www.webike.sg/products/21946788.html
JeffPCX150

Post by JeffPCX150 »

150pcxr,

Thank you for the reply. The previous instructions I have found on this site said to push and turn counterclockwise. So you are saying to turn Clockwise and NO push? I will give that a try. There is so little room that I can't get a good hold on the bulb connector base. I have tried multiple times but can only get my fingertips on the base to turn. So either these bulbs are stuck or I need to try harder and twist to the right. BTW, did you sit in front of the lights when removing the bulbs? And thank you for the link for the Japanese bulbs.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

JeffPCX150 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:39 pm 150pcxr,

Thank you for the reply. The previous instructions I have found on this site said to push and turn counterclockwise. So you are saying to turn Clockwise and NO push? I will give that a try. There is so little room that I can't get a good hold on the bulb connector base. I have tried multiple times but can only get my fingertips on the base to turn. So either these bulbs are stuck or I need to try harder and twist to the right. BTW, did you sit in front of the lights when removing the bulbs? And thank you for the link for the Japanese bulbs.
Yeah, I read that instructions from this forum also, but I had trouble following it :?

My uneducated guess is that the bulb has been sitting there for a long long time, so it's really hard to loosen it.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

The bulb comes out as a screw would come out. (c. clockwise] Some rubber gloves or a strip of tire tube wrapped will protect your fingers and give you
better results. Had the same issue as you.............perseverance will get you there. Need that protection for the fingers though.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

mymitzi wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:37 am The bulb comes out as a screw would come out. (c. clockwise] Some rubber gloves or a strip of tire tube wrapped will protect your fingers and give you
better results. Had the same issue as you.............perseverance will get you there. Need that protection for the fingers though.
perhaps it's different for pcxes in the states vs pcxes made in thailand.

my bike was made in thailand and it's clockwise for me to unlock the bulb.