Tips for wheel removal and reassembly

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Tips for wheel removal and reassembly

Post by Smaug »

When you go to get your tires changed, you'll find that it costs double if you just bring your bike in and have the mechanic do the whole job. In my case, I saved $100 by taking the wheels off and bringing them in. Local mechanic with a day job mounted and balanced both tires for $50.

I just finished re-assembling it all, so I want to write this while it's fresh in my head:

Tools to have ahead of time:
  • 3/8" drive Metric socket set going up to 19mm and starting at 10mm or less
  • 15/16 or 24mm socket for the rear axle nut. I'm not sure if a box wrench would fit in there. Open end is quite risky; don't use that. You'll probably need a 1/2" drive ratchet for that. A short extension was also handy, to let the ratchet handle clear the swingarm.
  • Short socket extensions
  • A flashlight
  • Some 2x2 or 2x4 to cut to legnth as a front axle prop, for when you get the front wheel off. Cut a notch or a semi-circular cutout for the axle to nest in.
  • Some molybdenum grease, to re-grease the axles and drive splines after cleaning them and before putting the bike back together.
  • A few paper towels and maybe an old toothbrush, to clean the dirt, brake dust and such out of the nooks and crannies while you have everything apart.
  • (optional)nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean. I bought a big box of them at Home Depot. Otherwise, it'll take quite some scrubbing afterwards, to get the grease, dirt and brake dust out of your hands' fingerprints.
  • A long zip tie or string, to secure the rear shock out of the way
  • A 15/16" or 24mm socket, for the rear axle nut. This is not something that is included in most small socket or combination wrench sets, so plan ahead and get one. I'm not sure if a box end wrench would fit in the recess to access this nut.
  • Copper grease or "anti-seize" for the exhaust studs, so the next time you need to take off the exhaust, it's easy. I also used copper grease on all the bolts that were bolted to the muffler. I figure they may get hot and try to seize up as well.
  • The muffler heat shield bolts and the exhaust pipe acorn nuts need 10mm socket.
  • I found that a 3/8" drive deep socket and a 4" extension were the perfect length to reach the acorn nuts that hold the exhaust pipe flange onto the cylinder head. Another inch or two longer would have been fine too.
  • The front axle bolt and nut are common metric sizes that you'd have in a decent socket or combo wrench kit.
  • Since the bike's weight is quite front-biased when on the center stand, (especially once the muffler, rear wheel and right side swingarm are off) all you need is some way to prop up the front end. The way I did it was to jack up on the 1x6 across the front/belly of the bike, and have my son prop it with a 2x2 while I manually lifted the front off the bike. This might be risky, if your garage floor is smooth, but mine's all pock-marked from salt damage and cracks in the concrete. I'd guess it only took about 50 lbs. worth of lifting force, so you don't even really need a jack, if you have a buddy to help you.
  • Check (eyeball) your brake shoes (rear) and pads (front) while you have the rear wheel off. For reference, my 2013 PCX had about 6675 miles on it and there was still a lot of brake material left on the rear and a fair amount left on the front.
  • When you take off the bottom of the right rear shock, replace the bolt in the shock and hang it up with a zip tie, somewhere, so it's out of the way when you're trying to maneuver the rear wheel off.
  • Loosen the two (5mm) allen bolts that hold the rear tire hugger on. No need to take them all the way out, but you'll need a bit of wiggle room.
I'll add more when I think of it, and of course you all are as well.
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tips for wheel removal and reassembly

Post by you you »

Cheers. I'm just about to do this.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

When you go to get your tires changed, you'll find that it costs double if you just bring your bike in and have the mechanic do the whole job. In my case, I saved $100 by taking the wheels off and bringing them in. Local mechanic with a day job mounted and balanced both tires for $50.

I just finished re-assembling it all, so I want to write this while it's fresh in my head:
Thanks!

Not a 5 minute job eh? :lol:

When I do this I'll make sure to send out for a pizza. ;)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

PCX150Rider wrote:

Thanks!

Not a 5 minute job eh? :lol:

When I do this I'll make sure to send out for a pizza. ;)
It's not a 5 minute job, but it's not hard at all, either. No risk of dropping nuts inside the engine, for example. ;)

Everything is straightforward and pretty easy to get to. The acorn nuts on the exhaust pipe flange are recessed inside the frame on the very bottom of the bike, so plan on getting on your back to reach them. There's a little hole in the body work, through which you can see them from a side angle that really helps.

Have a ratchet, short extension, and 10, 14, 19 and 24 mm sockets and a 5mm Allen key, and you're good to go. Oh and an box wrench or adjustable wrench to hold the front axle while you go to work on the nut on the other side. Forgot what size that one is; maybe 14mm?

Copper grease for the exhaust studs and bolts, to play it safe.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Why didn't my fancy bullet lists work? Should I have removed the '=' from the
  • tag?
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

What brand of copper grease do you recommend? Loctite?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Smaug wrote:Why didn't my fancy bullet lists work? Should I have removed the '=' from the
  • tag?
Did you place your bullet(?) between the brackets?
Type gets placed AFTER the =]
  • type goes here
Trying to help, I hope I'm making sense :roll:

By the way Smaug, this is excellent regardless of bullet biz. Thank you!! I'd consider this a How-To, how about you?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

WhiteNoise wrote:
Smaug wrote:Why didn't my fancy bullet lists work? Should I have removed the '=' from the
  • tag?
  • type goes here

By the way Smaug, this is excellent regardless of bullet biz. Thank you!! I'd consider this a How-To, how about you?
I'm not sure if it's quite that caliber. I'll think about making a quick video, then maybe it'd be worthy.

I'll leave it up to you.

In other forums using BBCode, it goes like this:
  • First bullet item
  • Second bullet item
  • etc.
Ah, there it worked. The '=' has to be removed for a bullet list. The '=' is only needed for an ordered list.
  1. First item
  2. Second item
This was with {list=1} (replace {} with square brackets) as the opening tag.
-Jeremy
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

So...would you like me to remove every '=' in your list above? Will that make it right?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:
  • tag?
  • type goes here

I'm not sure if it's quite that caliber. I'll think about making a quick video, then maybe it'd be worthy.

I'll leave it up to you.

In other forums using BBCode, it goes like this:
  • First bullet item
  • Second bullet item
  • etc.
Ah, there it worked. The '=' has to be removed for a bullet list. The '=' is only needed for an ordered list.
  1. First item
  2. Second item
This was with {list=1} (replace {} with square brackets) as the opening tag.
It's calibre, not caliber. The same as its centre not center.

Try to use the same English as the rest of the world does. It really is annoying.

Hint. Calibre, calibrate. Centre, central etc.

Try that with caliber and center.

Homie, help Smaug out.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Here's the video I watched to teach myself how to remove the rear wheel. Short, low production quality, and to the point: just my style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGRtcZ ... 1s&list=WL
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:Here's the video I watched to teach myself how to remove the rear wheel. Short, low production quality, and to the point: just my style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGRtcZ ... 1s&list=WL

Useful ta. I'm just about to do this.