Battery Tender Charging With Battery Being Enclosed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Battery Tender Charging With Battery Being Enclosed

Post by kramnala58 »

I will be returning to the US next week for a 3 week break. When I am done, I will leave the battery in my Yamaha Majesty connected to a Battery Tender. I did this last winter with the battery sitting on a shelf and it worked great.

This year, I want to simply connect the pig-tail to the battery while it is still in its compartment and run the pig-tail through the plastic so that it is exposed on the outside where I can readily connect/disconnect the Tender.

My question is, is it okay to do this with the battery enclosed in its compartment, or should I remove some of the plastics (tupperware) to let it breath?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Battery Tender Charging With Battery Being Enclosed

Post by you you »

kramnala58 wrote:I will be returning to the US next week for a 3 week break. When I am done, I will leave the battery in my Yamaha Majesty connected to a Battery Tender. I did this last winter with the battery sitting on a shelf and it worked great.

This year, I want to simply connect the pig-tail to the battery while it is still in its compartment and run the pig-tail through the plastic so that it is exposed on the outside where I can readily connect/disconnect the Tender.

My question is, is it okay to do this with the battery enclosed in its compartment, or should I remove some of the plastics (tupperware) to let it breath?

It'll be absolutely fine.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Back to the U.S.A. to your Majesty (his scooter folks) :P
Yes fine. Mine is set up exactly the same way during winter. The pigtail exits the battery cover then runs out the front of the (under) seat where it dangles outside for quick connect/disconnect.

In addition, I keep a bucket of "Damp Rid" near the rear wheel to absorb any moisture in my garage. I purchased it at Home Depot but it's sold at Walmart, Amazon etc.

Here's Walmart's offerings:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=damp%20rid
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
BarryPCX
Year: Forza 300 2018
Color: Blue

Post by BarryPCX »

kramnala58 wrote:I will be returning to the US next week for a 3 week break. When I am done, I will leave the battery in my Yamaha Majesty connected to a Battery Tender. I did this last winter with the battery sitting on a shelf and it worked great.

I use a CTEK charger like that in the UK. The 'pig tail' is permanently connected so I can plug in at any time. No problems over the 3 years I have been using it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've got one of these http://www.jpcycles.com/product/350-117 ... gJfdPD_BwE

Also at Wally World . . .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tend ... 3=&veh=sem

I originally got it at Bike Bandit but the one they have now is referred to as "Super-Smart-Battery-Tender Plus" for 12V systems. http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools ... ender-plus

I've used it to charge new batteries on the shelf before installing them and also to refresh batteries in the motorcycles during the cold months of winter. Never had a problem with it. Works great!

That being said I've never left the thing plugged in charging my motorcycles for more than a couple of days at a time. . .not for a whole season. Some people do though.

When the indicator light glows green that "it's done" I disconnect. If you continue to leave it on at that stage it's in "storage mode" and backs off on the charging phase. Read the details. :geek:

Maybe more people can chime in who use their chargers for the whole season to give you more info on their experiences also. :geek:
Clivebroad
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by Clivebroad »

you you wrote:

It'll be absolutely fine.
i use an Optimate 3 on my bike and have never had any problems.