Tappet Nut lost...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

RuckinEMT
Year: 2017 PCX 150eSP
Color: Pearl White

Tappet Nut lost...

Post by RuckinEMT »

So, I was replacing the plastics on my bike (don't ask) I decided to do the Valve Adjustment while I had her stripped. Long story short, the Tappet not came off while doing a test ride. (yes, it was torqued to spec, or so I thought) Oils been drained and a Magnet has been in and out of the spaces I can get into... :oops: :oops:

So, any thoughts on what I should do next? These little bikes are so much harder to wrench on than my Harley
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Re: Tappet Nut lost...

Post by homie »

RuckinEMT wrote:These little bikes are so much harder to wrench on than my Harley
Agreed!
So without the valve cover on, no mid body plastics and no seat... you went for a ride :lol: sorry not funny. How do you know it went down in the engine?
Attachments
inspect3.jpg
inspect3.jpg (192.65 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here are the new wireless ones... way better 8) If you cant find it with this it probably isn't in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Depste ... VG84Q6PFVE

parts catalog attached
Honda OEM part # 90206-001-000 NUT, TAPPET ADJUSTING
Attachments
Parts Catalog Honda PCX150 NEW - 2ND EDITION.PDF
(7.82 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

And if you can move quickly, check out https://computers.woot.com/offers/swiss ... zlm_nd2_39
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

homie wrote:
RuckinEMT wrote:These little bikes are so much harder to wrench on than my Harley
Agreed!
So without the valve cover on, no mid body plastics and no seat... you went for a ride :lol: sorry not funny. How do you know it went down in the engine?
Lol. No, I finished the job, buttoned it up, ran her for a few minutes & cleaned up. Then I went for a ride got a few blocks before a loud rattling. Returned home and ripped it back apart. I can't now take the. Ike apart in 7 minutes flat.

Also, I already have 3 nuts on order
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

The diameter on that camera looks larger than the magnet I was using. I've had a few sets of eyes look for it now... sadly I don't have the money for the camera or to take it to a shop... I'll never buy a scooter again!
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

Also, these nuts are "proprietary" cannot find them anywhere
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Another OOOOHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . ....SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......t moment. OMG. :(

Let us know what happens. It strikes fear in the hearts of those who adjust their own valves to suffer the woe of the orphaned Honda part. :roll:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I wouldn't run the engine until it was found. I assume the nut could have been caught by the cam chain and deposited wherever - and damaged whatever already - is that correct?

(I'm a new member here and have worked on plenty of engines but not a PCX.)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

With no money to pay someone to do it, I think you're going to have to take the engine apart to find it. In the process of that, you'll see if any damage was done.

One question first: did you drain the oil and check at the drain plug?

Man, if I needed another excuse not to mess with my valves, this was it.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ehhhh ... before we do all that, it might be in the oil strainer by now.
In a perfect world that's where it would be ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I know that it can happen, but this is the first time I have heard of it happening on a pcx. That is scary!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just ride it. If it works for the first five minutes it'll be fine for the next five years.

Either that or allow the harbour freight righteous to help you put some more insecurities into your life.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Just ride it. If it works for the first five minutes it'll be fine for the next five years. Either that or allow the harbour freight righteous to help you put some more insecurities into your life.
:lol: :lol: :lol: youyou this a an entire nut, not the little allen bolt nipple I lost down the crank in the Buell last winter. That probably went out with my last oil filter change. We don't have an oil filter on the PCX.
"Harbor freight righteous" :lol: :lol: :lol: you don't even have the lame hardware chain in your country. How did you know it's cheap chinese crap anyway?

We have Chief now, hopefully he will lead us to better tools 8)
Harbor freight righteous....
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I would at least do a complete oil drain, look for weird metal chips or the nut. I'd also check the strainer. There's a bit of a cavity below where you take the strainer out also. Other people have already said this but I concur. Before I would do a motor tear down I'd check the entrails. :geek:

Here's a video of a partial disassembled PCX 125 engine (top end) but it gives you a pretty good idea of the cavities immediately surrounding the valve stems and places where a nut could possibly nest. The PCX 150 and 125 engines are similar so you would get a rough idea what you may see.

Hope this helps. . .. But if all else fails then taking the engine apart may be the only alternative. . .by you or a dealer. You could throw the dice and just ride it but you'll never know when the fickle finger of fate strikes and leaves you up the creek without a paddle. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrxv4WSQ1I
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

would at least do a complete oil drain, look for weird metal chips or the nut. I'd also check the strainer. There's a bit of a cavity below where you take the strainer out also.
Good idea. Also thats a great video that shows all the hiding places in the head. If you can't find it anywhere ..... maybe find a rubber stopper that fits the dipstick threads and drill a hole in it to insert the flexible tube from an aerosol can of "Air Blaster", the stuff PC technicians use. Or better yet get a more powerful air compressor & tank. See if blasts of air down the dipstick hole can dislodge the nut out the drain plug hole or strainer or cam chain run. If not, then replace the drain plug and strainer and try again to see if it flies out past the cam chain.

There are so many crannies and hiding places in the head, I wouldn't be surprised if its hiding somewhere there - or maybe even somewhere outside the head where it fell when you removed the valve cover after it occurred. Stay positive and methodical, man - I feel your pain !
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

FOLLOW UP: Yes, I drained the oil and looked in the strainer, also took off the exhaust to see if it passed into the exhaust. NOW: It will not run, has spark, turns over, no noise or grinding. but will not stay running. :( :x :oops: Thoughts? Also, anyone local to MN that is a PCX whisperer?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RuckinEMT wrote:FOLLOW UP: Yes, I drained the oil and looked in the strainer, also took off the exhaust to see if it passed into the exhaust. NOW: It will not run, has spark, turns over, no noise or grinding. but will not stay running. :( :x :oops: Thoughts? Also, anyone local to MN that is a PCX whisperer?

I'd start by rechecking the tapper clearances.
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

you you wrote:
RuckinEMT wrote:FOLLOW UP: Yes, I drained the oil and looked in the strainer, also took off the exhaust to see if it passed into the exhaust. NOW: It will not run, has spark, turns over, no noise or grinding. but will not stay running. :( :x :oops: Thoughts? Also, anyone local to MN that is a PCX whisperer?

I'd start by rechecking the tapper clearances.
That was my thought process as well...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sorry to hear about that.

I was going to mention some things to check but don't want to insult your intelligence.

The nut is still somewhere in the engine if you lost it and haven't recovered it so far.

GGGeeeezzzzzzzzzzz....that's a real bummer.

If it was me I'd have to take the engine apart and reassemble it to an extent required to find that nut and make sure next time I didn't leave it loose. But that's me. It's only a single cylinder fortunately. Otherwise it would be a mega $$ money job at a dealer mechanic.

Here is a link to a fast forward Kymco Agility 125 motor build video. It will help calm some of the fear of unknown. It's a different engine type and fueled by a carburetor but will give you something to think about. . . as well as your finances and tool inventory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpB83KXfgE

Again, sorry to read about your dilemma. :geek: