Tappet Nut lost...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tappet Nut lost...

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:Retrofit some kind of easy-out underseat storage compartment?, etc.)

That's not a bad idea at all.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:Retrofit some kind of easy-out underseat storage compartment?, etc.) <--- what is this, some things don't register to me right off
RuckinEMT
Year: 2017 PCX 150eSP

Post by RuckinEMT »

Well, no luck locating the nut. I have a service manual and I'm going to have to tear the engine down it looks like. Not looking forward to that... :cry:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:Retrofit some kind of easy-out underseat storage compartment?, etc.) <--- what is this, some things don't register to me right off

Modifying the seat tub so it can be removed without removing the plastics?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

There's a lot of song and dance and Latin going on here about valve check tools and "correct" procedure.
Bologna. ...snug things up any darn way you want. Then check with feeler blade again, and with a scooter: rotate engine and check again. If tightened properly and gap good - you're good to go.
40+ years of doing VW and scooter valve adjustments.
Fingers and pliers will get proper clearances.
Bummer to drop the nut.
Good luck.
Fish
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I remember a mechanic who used to work on BSA, Triumph, Norton, and Royal Enfield and he used to gap the spark plugs by how it felt. . .used his finger nails. He did so many of them he kind of knew. :lol:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I remember a mechanic who used to work on BSA, Triumph, Norton, and Royal Enfield and he used to gap the spark plugs by how it felt. . .used his finger nails. He did so many of them he kind of knew.
LoL, yeah, the spark plug gaps on those older Brit bikes was .025", and a thumb nail could get you close. But there's no mechanical impact on a spark plug and I think the PCX valve clearance is just .004"intake and .009" exhaust, both with only .001" spec deviation recommended.

What I've always been told is that .... Over tight and the valve stem & rocker surfaces get dinged from impact and once that happens, trying to adjust the valve is useless because the resulting dent in the rocker's face (not to mention the carbon on the valve seat) give a false reading to the feeler gauge. Too loose and the same things happen. but for different reasons. Either way, the rockers and valves/valve springs are not operating in harmony ...... Does all this sound right?

I'm hoping that on mine after the 600m check/ adjustment, the next interval shows all is within spec and so it's likely that subsequent ones every 2500m are not all necessary and greater intervals are OK.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

No. Too tight can cause excess heat on the valve seats. Too loose and you can lose power.

Loose is safer.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

No. Too tight can cause excess heat on the valve seats. Too loose and you can lose power.

Loose is safer.
That's what I've heard. . .a noisy valve is a happy valve. If it's set on the loose side at least you know it is closing. It's good to keep an ear to changing sounds in the engine. . .especially if the performance gets funky. On that premise I'm waiting until 4000 miles before I pull the panels on my 2017 and set the valves. That's what the U.K. manual says and that is good enough for me. Here in the U.S. they still publish that check and adjust at 600 and then every 2500 miles and I can't understand the double standard. As long as my engine continues to run like it is now and sounds like it is now I'll be happy. It also will give me more time to pick up a good set of panel puller tools. :D
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The 600 mile check is probably the most significant. The other intervals are for HONDA getting you into the dealership to make $.. The first one is when the initial "wear in" period is experienced. Once the valves seat, then you can set the lash to the correct tolerances.. They don't generally tend to change much after the first break in period.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

The 600 mile check is probably the most significant. The other intervals are for HONDA getting you into the dealership to make $.. The first one is when the initial "wear in" period is experienced. Once the valves seat, then you can set the lash to the correct tolerances.. They don't generally tend to change much after the first break in period.
It's a throw of the dice. . .in this case though Honda does indicate no valve inspection check until 4,000 miles on the U.K. manual and every 4,000 miles after that. That being said I will keep my situation awareness about the valve noise and performance moving forward. Any changes in sound or acceleration and off come the panels and in I go with my mighty feeler gauges. :lol:

Here's a page from the U.K. manual.
IMG_3241ManualUK1.jpg
IMG_3241ManualUK1.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 870 times
If it's still running fine right up to 4,000 miles then you will all know here when I post my first valve inspection/adjustment results. It will hopefully give us an indication of fact vs wishful thinking. ;)

Adjusting valves isn't anything new to me. Removing and replacing panels like on the PCX is. There's a lot of blind access trying to find the pry points and cracking or breaking tabs is a harsh possibility. On motorcycles I've worked on it can be tricky removing panels and stuff but at least with a flashlight and mirrors you can see what the hell you have to do. :o

I guess I'll be the Guinea Pig on this side of the pond to see if the PCX's they sell here have the same kind of engine durability the PCX's they sell in the U.K. do. Time will tell. Call me crazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

It's a throw of the dice. . .in this case though Honda does indicate no valve inspection check until 4,000 miles on the U.K. manual and every 4,000 miles after that. That being said I will keep my situation awareness about the valve noise and performance moving forward. Any changes in sound or acceleration and off come the panels and in I go with my mighty feeler gauges. :lol:

Here's a page from the U.K. manual.
Wow, thanks much for posting that ......... It certainly follows what most other engines' maintenance schedules are and makes sense (but I'll still check them at 600m).

I agree with keeping a close ear for sound changes, especially since its a liquid cooled engine without cylinder & head cooling fins to amplify/ resonate the pings like air cooled engines do. Thanks again !
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

GREAT NEWS! So, its been awhile, I had kind of given up hope. Well, A co-workers husband is Master Mechanic (ASE cert) and a motorcycle enthusiast. Needless to say, I owe the guy! Adjusted the tappets again and confirmed the lost Tappet wasn't in the engine.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Tappet wasn't in the engine.
Where was it ??
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Tappet wasn't in the engine.
Where was it ??
X2 8)
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

easyrider wrote:Tappet wasn't in the engine.
Where was it ??
Let me clarify: He said he couldn't locate it. Not sure if it's in the the oil pan or not in the engine at all. The bike runs better than it did new... so I'll take it
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Lafree »

Hi You You , u say mod the under seat tub so u can remove it without the plastic can u enlarge on that, Lafree
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

RuckinEMT wrote:GREAT NEWS! So, its been awhile, I had kind of given up hope. Well, A co-workers husband is Master Mechanic (ASE cert) and a motorcycle enthusiast. Needless to say, I owe the guy! Adjusted the tappets again and confirmed the lost Tappet wasn't in the engine.
Man you lucky duck! So whats the lesson here for all members who DYI the valve clearance adjustment?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Did he need to order & get a replacement nut ?
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

springer1 wrote:Did he need to order & get a replacement nut ?
Replaced it