Cheap front stand; What're you using?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Cheap front stand; What're you using?

Post by homie »

Excellent! easy on the knee's... how does it get wheels off the ground for what the OP needs to do?

btw - I like a big girl
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

How? Haven't done this but you would roll the bike on ass backwards till the front wheel sat over the "drop out" floor panel. Then set scoot on it's center stand. Remove floor panel. Now you can remove wheel. Correct or not?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:How? Haven't done this but you would roll the bike on ass backwards till the front wheel sat over the "drop out" floor panel. Then set scoot on it's center stand. Remove floor panel. Now you can remove wheel. Correct or not?
Never do that, you still need to support the belly of the bike LOL. Might as well get a jack stand and at least be closer to the ground when things go over. Surely that fancy lift came with some instruction on removing wheels for bikes with no center stand and some means of support for front and rear wheel removal. Maybe not, but why else would a panel drop out from under a wheel?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I went out to the garage, got my floor jack and a 1x6 scrap and put it underneath and across the bottom of the scoot, near the front. It was VERY easy to get the front end an inch or two off the floor.
Thanks for the pics. They show the undercarriage of the PCX well. I guess you could even put a rag or towel or something on the wood. 8)

I used to have a jack like that for a long time but it became a "leaker" and I couldn't trust it so I re-cycled it at the town dump. Been meaning to get another one but just haven't gotten around to it. That being said I may take another look at my axle jack for my Jeep to see if that may possibly work instead. My concern is that it could wobble though. :roll:

The more that I look at the pics it makes me wonder if my 1500 lb. scissor jack will even fit under the PCX. I'll have to check that out this weekend. Will post the result. :geek: 8)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:You are all overthinking this.
Yep, that rear stand will not secure the front end of anything. If you don't want the right tool then drop C-stand find big woman to sit on the pillion. The bike will rock back and you can block up the belly... maybe, I don't have big woman to test this but there are lots of them around :D
Whoops! Linked the wrong one. This is the one I meant:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcycle- ... -O&vxp=mtr
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Well, I wound up doing what I tried last night, only I cut a 2x2 to replace the jack for holding the front end up for a couple days while I wait for them to mount the tires.

I lifted the front end off the jack while my son positioned the prop according to my instructions.

Looks a little dicey, but the floor has LOTS of friction, as you can see, and if no one bumps it, it'll be OK.

Now, to see if it'll be on its side in the morning, hehehe.
Attachments
Front view
Front view
20170713_214033_HDR.jpg (397.12 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Almost looks like it's flying...
Almost looks like it's flying...
20170713_213806_HDR.jpg (341.64 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Front prop
Front prop
20170713_213751_HDR.jpg (332.5 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Rear prop
Rear prop
20170713_213739_HDR.jpg (338.13 KiB) Viewed 934 times
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:My (mouse) trigger finger is twitching for this $35 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike ... 1244096950

I've got something similar but really it's not necessary.

You are all overthinking this.

For the front jack the bike up whilst on the centre stand. Once you've removed the front wheel pop the axle back in, straighten the forks and put an axle stand under the axle. Lower the bike until it's resting. Bingo, it's a safe as having the wheel in.
This is what I'm going to do next time. It's just the kind of simple but secure solution I was looking for. Building a little jack stand with a V-notch cut out for the front axle to rest in would have been more secure than what I did.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Thanks for all your help and ideas, guys. Much appreciated.
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:
you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:My (mouse) trigger finger is twitching for this $35 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike ... 1244096950

I've got something similar but really it's not necessary.

You are all overthinking this.

For the front jack the bike up whilst on the centre stand. Once you've removed the front wheel pop the axle back in, straighten the forks and put an axle stand under the axle. Lower the bike until it's resting. Bingo, it's a safe as having the wheel in.
This is what I'm going to do next time. It's just the kind of simple but secure solution I was looking for. Building a little jack stand with a V-notch cut out for the front axle to rest in would have been more secure than what I did.
Hurray.

Doesn't really need a notch just don't turn the bars :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I love it! Chief says it's crazy :roll: But it's risky and exciting like taking a scooter on the expressway. Hey are you putting up a pigeon coop or building something for the kids? Thats a real cinderblock car port brother, reminds me of a well house... nice!
Attachments
chief.jpg
chief.jpg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 929 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I haven't heard of any scheduled earth quakes so you should be good to go! :lol:

A prime example of "Yankee Ingenuity". ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:How? Haven't done this but you would roll the bike on ass backwards till the front wheel sat over the "drop out" floor panel. Then set scoot on it's center stand. Remove floor panel. Now you can remove wheel. Correct or not?
Never do that, you still need to support the belly of the bike LOL. Might as well get a jack stand and at least be closer to the ground when things go over. Surely that fancy lift came with some instruction on removing wheels for bikes with no center stand and some means of support for front and rear wheel removal. Maybe not, but why else would a panel drop out from under a wheel?
Belly? Did someone say Belly? WN ain't gots no Belly! It be flat :lol:
No, the instruction manual does Not tell you how to lift your bike,.... YouTube and homie does :lol: ;)
Okay, let's try this again. Forgot to mention that I have U-bolts alongside the ramp's tabletop.
Safer: roll me scoot face forward onto the lift, set the center stand down, place scissor jack under scoot's "belly" then raise her. Looks good? Then Buckle her down. Would that work?

Just one tool missing :D I'd have to buy me one of these:

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle ... p/MC-JACK/
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:I love it! Chief says it's crazy :roll: But it's risky and exciting like taking a scooter on the expressway. Hey are you putting up a pigeon coop or building something for the kids? Thats a real cinderblock car port brother, reminds me of a well house... nice!
My daughter's 5, and will soon not fit in her convertible crib/bed. So I'm building her this playhouse loft bed: http://www.ana-white.com/2011/04/little ... e-loft-bed

I need to get cracking on that and finish it up, but not until the PCX is back together; I can't be getting sawdust in the brakes and drive splines. :geek:

It's made with common grade lumber, and one of the verticals is so bowed it's not even funny. Where does one measure for square against a curved piece? Should be interesting, putting it together.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

by the way, looking at my post above, the one with all the pix, the 2x2 supporting the back of the bike was totally unnecessary. When it's on the center stand, it's pretty front-heavy. After removing the rear wheel and muffler, even MORE so.

I was afraid I would need to have the front end up several inches, so the tire would clear the front fender. But this was more than enough. Skip the rear prop, if you do it this way.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Smaug wrote:
homie wrote:Hey are you putting up a pigeon coop or building something for the kids?
I'm building her this playhouse loft bed: http://www.ana-white.com/2011/04/little ... e-loft-bed
So you are a carpenter! If she can't appreciate that I will take it off your hands... put some pigeons in it 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:by the way, looking at my post above, the one with all the pix, the 2x2 supporting the back of the bike was totally unnecessary. When it's on the center stand, it's pretty front-heavy. After removing the rear wheel and muffler, even MORE so.

I was afraid I would need to have the front end up several inches, so the tire would clear the front fender. But this was more than enough. Skip the rear prop, if you do it this way.

Yes, for the love of God and all that's holy ALL YOU NEED IS A FRONT AXLE STAND!!! You can even do without a lift if you've got someone to sit on the rear seat for 5 mins.

You've got it, not sure what Whitenoise and Homie are sniffing.

I think your idea of a post prop at the rear is good as inevitably you lean on the bike seat and have to catch it. Been there, done that.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Home cookin'.... Italian style :D It's all Good!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

hehe, pictures are fun... we need more. I wish I had me a detached garage made out of cinderblock. WOOT! turn the whole thing into a loft. Coons couldn't tear that down with their big brains and tiny hands.
Attachments
pigeon.jpg
pigeon.jpg (4.28 KiB) Viewed 918 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Every pidgeon is called Walter. It's the law.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WN that little motorbike scissor jack is all we need. The price is the same as harbor freights large one with wheels when it goes on sale. But if you don't have the space nor care to roll the PCX around on it... perfect find!