Cheap front stand; What're you using?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Cheap front stand; What're you using?

Post by Smaug »

I got a quote for changing tires; $200 if I just bring in the bike. Half that if I bring in the wheels. Still high, but worth the effort to take the wheels off.

The center stand balances the PCX with the rear wheel off the ground. I need something to hold up the front of the bike, so I can bring the wheels in together.

Whatchoo got?
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Cheap front stand; What're you using?

Post by homie »

Jeremy don't be tempted to grab your sport bike front jack stand o_O
This will not work as any bike needs the rear jack stand in place first before the front can be lifted.
Because there is no rear jack stand for a PCX to be had and the Center stand will NOT double as one. Your precious scoot will promptly topple over on the deck when you attempt to lift the front with traditional motorbike jack stands. Very deceiving, as it all looks good up front until... BOOOOM!

What you need is the C-stand down and a padded scissor jack to lift the belly of the PCX after you have loosened the axle nuts just like you would an automobile. Second hand ones are all over Craigslist for 50-100 bucks.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/6197028681.html
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

What you need is the C-stand down and a padded scissor jack to lift the belly of the PCX after you have loosened the axle nuts just like you would an automobile. Second hand ones are all over Craigslist for 50-100 bucks.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/6197028681.html
Exact same type of scissor jack I have. Mine is a 1500 lb. capacity also. I use the bars on the sides as emergency stops in case the hydraulic pressure declines while the bike is on the lift for a few days. They stop the thing from collapsing but you have to make sure to set them. :geek:

Depending on which bike I use it for I sometimes add pieces of wood or rags to block and pad the jack so that nothing gets damaged. You have to be careful of exhaust pipe routing, side stand attachment areas, oil drain plugs, or anything that may get bent or damaged. The last time I changed both tires on my KLR I actually tied off the passenger grab rails to the framing on my over-sized shed to keep it level (port to starboard) and shoved something under the front forks just to give them something to rest on. The bike was literally "in the air" and it's a fragile time in bike maintenance world. One can't wait to get wheels back on and let the bike touch earth again. ;)

It takes a little finesse and one size does not fit all. That being said. . .SAFETY FIRST!!! If it doesn't feel right then just let the dealer do it. ;)

I paid about $50 per wheel to have a local dealer remove the old tire/tube and install the new ones on each of my KLR wheels while I waited. I ordered the tubes and tires from Bike Bandit. I wanted to have the tires/tubes in hand so when the dealership told me when it was good to come (they were slow) I could get the wheels off the KLR at that time bring everything in to have it done while I waited. I felt the less time the bike is on the stand unattended the better. It came to a little more than $100 with tax and weights etc.... If I let the dealership order the tires they would have charged me about $30 per tire roughly. That was my most recent experience earlier this year. I've used the same jack for my Suzuki Bandit. . .but only one wheel at a time. . .never both off at once. . .500 lbs is a bit heavy. :roll:

You can save money by removing the wheels yourself but you have to be careful and take it slow but sure IMHO. 8)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Rear tire wears first and is replaced first. Later the front.
But you know that, so must be wanting to upgrade both stock tires.
I'd make two trips. Keep one end of scoot on the ground.
Paid $35 to have a Vespa dealer do the rear, plus install new bearing in rear fork.....handed him the wheel and the fork, new tire and new bearing. Same day work.
Fish
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Rear tire wears first and is replaced first. Later the front.
But you know that, so must be wanting to upgrade both stock tires.
I'd make two trips. Keep one end of scoot on the ground.
Paid $35 to have a Vespa dealer do the rear, plus install new bearing in rear fork.....handed him the wheel and the fork, new tire and new bearing. Same day work.
Fish
Fish makes sense and it's safer doing them one at a time. Hope your dealer is close nearby so if you make a few trips it won't be too much out of the way. :geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

HEY LOOKY - Harbor Freight has them for 89.00 new and shiney! Yes the PCX will sit nicely with both wheels off the bike balanced on this jack and it does not rest under hydraulic load when you leave, as it has a segmented locking system. Keep it low, turn your axle bolts before you lift and tighten them back up after you let down. I once had a video of my PCX on this stand pushing it all around the garage. WN remembers that video I bet.

If you are nervous your kids will polk at the wheelless bike while you are at the tire shop strap it. Or take them with you... how bout that?
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-c ... 60536.html
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

PCX150Rider wrote: The last time I changed both tires on my KLR I actually tied off the passenger grab rails to the framing on my over-sized shed to keep it level (port to starboard) and shoved something under the front forks just to give them something to rest on. The bike was literally "in the air" and it's a fragile time in bike maintenance world. One can't wait to get wheels back on and let the bike touch earth again. ;)
I did something similar on my FJR. I had it on the center stand, and the rear wheel was up. Took that off. Then, I put an eye bolt into a wall stud of the garage, and a pulley into the ceiling joist. Tied rope around the handlebar clip-ons, pulled on rope to lift the front end a bit, tied it off to the eye bolt on the wall, then took the front wheel off too.

I left it like that for a couple days, and by the time I got back, the front end of the bike was a few inches lower and the ceiling joist was sagging. (FJRs are heavy bikes and ceiling joists are only 2x4 or 2x6)

You mentioned KLRs, which don't have (factory) centerstands. The KLR guys used to make props out of orthopedic canes. Lever up the bike under the engine on the opposite side from the side stand, so the bike was resting on the side stand, front tire, and lever, and the rear was off the ground to allow us to service the tire or lube the chain easily it in the field.

The PCX is a MUCH lighter bike than an FJR or KLR. There should be some relatively safe way to Rube Goldberg it.

How about cutting a 2x4 to fit under the rear fender while the rear tire is off. Just as a prop so it can't tip backwards. Then, when the front end is lifted slightly with something.

I won't buy anything from Harbor Freight again. Each time I cave in and do, they find new ways to disappoint me with the quality.

I think this will work, if there's enough solid-flat space under the bike. All the users who review it are using it on cruisers...
https://smile.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycl ... l_huc_item
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Maybe some kind of frame to go over the bike, then tie rope round and support the front end of the bike by the frame? With the prop under the rear to keep it from tipping backwards?
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Smaug wrote:Maybe some kind of frame to go over the bike, then tie rope round and support the front end of the bike by the frame? With the prop under the rear to keep it from tipping backwards?
I can tell you your garage door track rails where they anchor to the ceiling will support a 400 lbs bike easily from ratchet straps. That's using both left and right side connections NOT dangling from only one. I have hung the Buell from these supports several times, no worries.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

You got one of these in your car? Find the frame under the pcx?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

I went out to the garage, got my floor jack and a 1x6 scrap and put it underneath and across the bottom of the scoot, near the front. It was VERY easy to get the front end an inch or two off the floor.

Without the weight of the muffler and rear wheel/tire, I wouldn't think there would be much chance of it tipping backwards, using this method. Or from using a prong-type front stand: http://www.discountramps.com/front-moto ... /BW-10-V2/

fish: to your comment about replacing them one at a time. and the rear wearing faster. I'm not down to the wear bars on either the front or rear tire, but I'm starting to see some age cracking in the treads, which worries me a bit. Makes me think they probably will not stick as hard as they should, in case I get into a panic braking situation. The bike has around 7k on it, and I presume they're original tires from 2012 or 2013.
Attachments
20170712_232616_HDR_resized.jpg
20170712_232616_HDR_resized.jpg (339.19 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
20170712_232607_HDR_resized.jpg
20170712_232607_HDR_resized.jpg (290.18 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
-Jeremy
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

That hydrologic jack might lose pressure after awhile!
That's why i suggested the screw type scissor jack.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

My (mouse) trigger finger is twitching for this $35 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike ... 1244096950
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:My (mouse) trigger finger is twitching for this $35 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike ... 1244096950

I've got something similar but really it's not necessary.

You are all overthinking this.

For the front jack the bike up whilst on the centre stand. Once you've removed the front wheel pop the axle back in, straighten the forks and put an axle stand under the axle. Lower the bike until it's resting. Bingo, it's a safe as having the wheel in.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:You are all overthinking this.
Yep, that rear stand will not secure the front end of anything. If you don't want the right tool then drop C-stand find big woman to sit on the pillion. The bike will rock back and you can block up the belly... maybe, I don't have big woman to test this but there are lots of them around :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I give up.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you worry that someone...such as your kids...might accidentally tip the bike over with the tires off, you can makeshift a tripod to hold the bike steady while it is on the Jack. /_\
A 2x4 on the bottom, and a 2x4 on each side. Run the bottom 2x4 under the bike. Then attach the top ends to your bike by way of a strap attached to the 2x4s. If the strap is tight the whole assembly should be very stable. I don't know if I explained it correctly but I have seen it used by other back yard mechanics.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Check out this vespa front wheel removal technique. In natures setting He uses his pet carrier! WOT?!
A Thumbs up video!

:roll: Would a plastic milk crate (altered/customized-or similar) get the scoot up? If unsteady make a platform of plywood add 2-4 u-bolts or ring bolts and anchor the scoot to the bolts with straps.
Scoot up and secured.
Okay, that's my vision. Can it work? :roll: Would this fail?

@ homie, YES I most certainly remember your "for cheap lift" with you swinging your scoot around atop it in your garage. I looked through one eye at "that" video :lol: it held steady!!
How did your under fairings fair? All good?
Where is that video anywho? You Pull it?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:How did your under fairings fair? All good?
Where is that video anywho? You Pull it?
I did delete it long time back sorry. The fairings are not damaged in any way with a (padded) lift like this one that spans the width of the belly on a PCX. Do not put a hot header on the rubber pads people :roll: ... just so's you know.

I envy your big bike lift WN but I have no room.
Attachments
lift.jpg
lift.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

You call this "having room?" :lol: This is a one car narrow garage. I pull bicycles out onto the driveway when working on scoot. The scoot is always on the lift. I removed the chock that came with the lift and installed a condor scoot chock in its place (drilling involved and longer bolts). Haha, I ended up removing that chock too and just use the center-stand now. No wait! The base of the condor chock stays in place on the lift, it's upper parts are easily put on and off. Those parts are off now.
See Condor front left of pic. Right front - 3 different length ramps, siphon and lotsa stuff. Orange cones for above for Kiddies in family on bicycles. I have them riding around them. Training 'em young :D

What a deal harbor freight runs on this lift! On sale several times a year it was a no brainer for me. Not many parts involved. I enjoyed the Assembly. Prep and Buy pump oil. Mine was bone dry. Check first folks - Do not attempt first lift without it!

Look at All this Room I have homie. You have a 2car correct? I did have 3. Miss that Big time!! :(
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.77 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You