Professional paint advice needed...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Professional paint advice needed...

Post by homie »

I finally twisted enough arms and paid enough ransom to collect an entire second set of tupperware for my street bike. Seven pieces in a variety of colors to be taken into a local custom paint shop yet to be determined. All my original plastics will be stored for the lucky bum that gets the bike after me 8) Questions unanswered;

1. What will officer friendly do to me when he sees the color on the bike does not match the registration?
2. Light scratches need to be dealt with on this collection of used parts, should I prep the parts or leave it to the paint shop?
3. Will the different colored plastics pose a problem for the paint shop?
4. How long after fresh paint can I re-apply the emblems, wash, wax and feel confident things are hardened?

The color i'm after will have some pearl essence or bling as in the picture but I don't know this business... yet 8)
Attachments
43841.jpg
43841.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Professional paint advice needed...

Post by Jge64 »

They will vary the primer based on if its paint or plastic. The base plus clear will be the same.

Before painting, they will correct the surface with a polish or wet sand.also maybe a hi build primer that will sand smooth.

Wait 30 days before adding stickers, wax, etc.

Cops don't care about color if VIN matches registration.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Because it is plastic I think you need to leave the prep work and painting to a professional.
What I have found with plastic is that you will need a good primer coating that clings well. Professional painters know about the problems with inexpensive plastics. There have been some members here who have had their bikes painted, so they would know the best way to go about it, but I have replaced some of the plastics on my PCX and I can see how thin they are. Even small scratches cut deep on the cheap plastic.
As far as your concern about the color on the registration vs what you paint it, I think you can explain it to them if the question comes up. You would not be the first person to repaint their bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thanks, is it just a given they will paint the undersides? There are seven pieces in total and i'm about to find out what this will cost. The rag tag collection of used parts need some professional attention that's for sure! Here are the before images.
Attachments
fender.jpg
fender.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 463 times
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 463 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Nothing is a given in the service business. Tell them exactly what you want them to do, and they will do it.
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jge64 wrote:Nothing is a given in the service business. Tell them exactly what you want them to do, and they will do it.
Made the contact, found 20 year experienced people. Talked all about composition of the plastics, prep and primers and won't paint until I approve the swatch. Then he hit me with the estimate o_O So I took the conversation outside and made a better arrangement. Turns out he's part owner of this paint & body shop so we have a cash price. Promised his best man to see it through to satisfaction. Met best man and HEY... looks like he paints :lol: Equipment looks good to me too but what do I know about painting :roll: Well maybe I do know something now if I care to retain it.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Make sure they low temp bake the parts (yes, even the plastic stuff) Heat makes the paint stronger.
Glen
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That should be a given as well, since they low heat bake cars, refrigerators, and just about anything else you can think of.
My step father owned a body and fender repair shop in Florida. That salt air kept him in business for quite some time. Unfortunately, he was terrible at his books, and eventually went broke while owing the IRS a big chunk of change. Then he moved to another state, started another shop, went broke there and moved to yet another state to do it all over again. Who says an 8th grade education is enough to get by in this World? Oh, that's right, he did. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote: Who says an 8th grade education is enough to get by in this World? Oh, that's right, he did. :-/
:lol: Low bake temp, got it. Cash side jobs can get you in trouble with the IRS. But here are the benefits if you can people to do them.

1. You get the best man working his lunch and over time to do the work because dissatisfaction is not an option.
2. You get it done fast bump the line.
3. You get a better price.

I know it's not ethical and I don't accept cash offers in my business but in the case of these precious hard to find plastics I will bend the rules and get the best results.