Overfilled my coolant reservoir

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Overfilled my coolant reservoir

Post by alx123 »

So today I decided to go to Honda and buy their gear oil, and coolant, as I see my coolant level near the low indicator.

Bought these

Honda gear oil for scooters, 120ml

Honda coolant,pre-mixed

I also saw their their fully synthetic 10w30 motor oil..will buy next time

Once I got home, I decided to skip lunch and go directly to business..(bad decision)

Changed the gear oil, easy.

Emptied the entire 120ml but I dont see the oil overflowing..will surely add more next week to make sure..theyre cheap at $1.5

HERE COMES TROUBLE...

Next, filled the coolant reservoir but i over-estimated its size and overfilled it to almost near the reservoir cap. :oops:

I decided to strip the side cover to gain access to the reservoir drain plug. :x

As usual it's a pain in the arse. Why Honda did this is beyond me.

If you want to change or drain the coolant, you'll need to remove the side plastic cover, then remove the radiator cover..

Took me 15 minutes just for that..Unbelievable :o

I'm still confused why Honda needs to do this..

Anyway, after I removed all of this plastics. :roll:

I caught a glimpse of this..dang! :o

A removable fluid line where you can easily drain the coolant without removing all the plastic.. :roll:

So yeah, maybe some of you will someday accidentally overfill your coolant reservoir..there's an easy way to drain it.

No need to curse Honda..

Tip: Make sure youre not hungry when doing your maintenance.. mistakes are inevitable..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Re: Overfilled my coolant reservoir

Post by djbass »

When they wanted to purge from insects heatsink was not able to remove the protective screen and also thought of the designers of the Honda :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

Well think of it as good training, if it were me I would have just sucked the excess out of the overflow reservoir with a hose. You weren't due for a full coolant flush for some time if ever. At the rate the coolant evaporates in the PCX you are hitting the low mark every 5k miles or less. So here is what really pisses me off.

You went to your dealer for the 5k service and that **** didn't even top off your coolant. But I bet the bastards were too happy to take your money for the long check list at 5K they did absolutely NOTHING :x report this dealership to Honda please.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

homie wrote:Well think of it as good training, if it were me I would have just sucked the excess out of the overflow reservoir with a hose. You weren't due for a full coolant flush for some time if ever. At the rate the coolant evaporates in the PCX you are hitting the low mark every 5k miles or less. So here is what really pisses me off... you went in to your dealer for the 5k service at that **** didn't even top off you coolant. But I bet the bastards took your money :x
It crossed my mind to, but unfortunately i don't have any extra hose around.

Yeah, 5k service was just a simple change oil. No other check whatsoever. Didn't even bother to clean the oil screen even after I requested for it.

Service is free, I only paid for the oil. not a lot of money but ill never go back there again. Reason why I'm trying to learn the ropes on the PCX.

Honda Thailand has been disappointing. Plus the Thai culture of complacency.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Yeah, 5k service was just a simple change oil. No other check whatsoever. Didn't even bother to clean the oil screen even after I requested for it.
I'm taking mine back for it's first service shortly. In order for me to check if they cleaned the oil screen, can I remove it to verify/ clean it - and then just top off the oil? Or will removing it drain all the oil as well and require me to refill it entirely ? Thanks!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I caught a glimpse of this..dang! :o
Thanks for posting those radiator/coolant bottle pics. . .. Good tip about the drainage. 8)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

springer1 wrote:
I'm taking mine back for it's first service shortly. In order for me to check if they cleaned the oil screen, can I remove it to verify/ clean it - and then just top off the oil? Or will removing it drain all the oil as well and require me to refill it entirely ? Thanks!
removing it will drain all the oil..should clean it before refilling oil..
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

removing it will drain all the oil..should clean it before refilling oil..
Thanks !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

IMG_20170711_125025.jpg
IMG_20170711_125025.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
I was looking at your picture and I noticed what looks like a Crack. Is it just the light or is there a problem?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

@Mel I will a closer look later, thanks for the heads up
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Mel46 wrote: I was looking at your picture and I noticed what looks like a Crack. Is it just the light or is there a problem?
I took a closer look and there's no crack. It's part of the chassis holding the engine. Thanks
qcpcx
Color: red

Post by qcpcx »

I just drained and refilled the coolant myself and also over filled it. I have a 2013 so it is past the high mark in the resovoir tank. I was wondering why it is necessary to remove the excess like the OP did. I am guessing I will pipette it out.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

qcpcx wrote:I just drained and refilled the coolant myself and also over filled it. I have a 2013 so it is past the high mark in the resovoir tank. I was wondering why it is necessary to remove the excess like the OP did. I am guessing I will pipette it out.
Having a little over in the reservoir shouldn't be a problem. Do check the coolant often people or you'll be suprized. Unlike your car it gets away from you over the summer and will need some added.
qcpcx
Color: red

Post by qcpcx »

homie wrote:
qcpcx wrote:I just drained and refilled the coolant myself and also over filled it. I have a 2013 so it is past the high mark in the resovoir tank. I was wondering why it is necessary to remove the excess like the OP did. I am guessing I will pipette it out.
Having a little over in the reservoir shouldn't be a problem. Do check the coolant often people or you'll be suprized. Unlike your car it gets away from you over the summer and will need some added.

I started another thread to ask this question, but I wanted to get your input.... I incorrectly filled my radiator by filling the entire system through the reserve tank. Realized it once I got to the step to bleed the air out. Can you advise? Should I drain the reserve tank and bleed system, then close radiator cap and then refill reserve tank?

Is there a practice way to drain the reserve tank? It flows out when I open the radiator cap now.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I took a quick look at mine the other day while the engine was running and it appeared half full. Only about 2300 miles on it so far. Just got it a year ago and I've never topped it off. That said I did buy the genuine Honda non-abrasive coolant at the dealership the day I bought the PCX to have on hand. 8)
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

my final gear uses 10w30 not gear lube.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.