Is this an oil leak

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

Is this an oil leak

Post by Duke82 »

Hi guys this is a picture taken from under my scooter. Just serviced, runs great no weird sounds. What is likely in thee photo? 2016 4100 miles
Attachments
IMG_20170705_091636.jpg
IMG_20170705_091636.jpg (854.98 KiB) Viewed 981 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Is this an oil leak

Post by you you »

Did you notice anything before the service?
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

It was like that but a lot lot less. (Engine oil level is fine) I'm wondering if it's from the lubricant they sprayed on the drum brake adjuster nut making it like worse.

To me it looks like something is not tight and oil is seeping out but having motorcycles in the past I have no clue about the scooter and what parts are where.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Gear oil seeping from loose drain or fill bolt?
Gently check that all three in photo are snug. DON'T over tighten. ...just snug.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

By the way, what is the rusty item in the Picture? You need to take care of it. If it is your center stand you will need to clean it up and put a protective coating on it. Then grease it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's a 2016? The Final Drive maintenance is to change the oil once every 2 years according to SM page 3-5, Note 5, for after 2013 models.

So if you've never changed it then there is a possibility that when your PCX was being made they had to wipe some oil off the "fill" hole area that left a slight residue which would collect dust over time. My new 2017 was collecting a bit of dust in the same area. No leaks though. I'll keep an eye on it. Your photo doesn't appear to show actual leaks. . .just a dust covered film. That being said it does look like the "fill hole" bolt was removed for a level check at one time. The bolt head has some signs of wear. Just my 2 cents worth of a guess. :geek:

Your theory about the lube sprayed on the brake linkage could be a possibility also. You aren't seeing actual drips clinging to the bottom of the CVT case or Final Drive case right? Nothing on the ground where you regularly park it? :geek:

Always a good idea to check bolts for tightness on a regular basis on any motorcycle or scooter. :D
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

Cheers. No drips or leaks
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:By the way, what is the rusty item in the Picture? You need to take care of it. If it is your center stand you will need to clean it up and put a protective coating on it. Then grease it.
Mel, it's just the base of the center stand. It hasn't been used for a while.
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

Its just two nuts on the crankcase breather tube. (From memory, I'm out the country at the moment so can't check)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Not this again... you know we have seen something similar to this recently on a 2017... still unresolved by the poster.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=oil+leak
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Double checked the "fill" and "drain hole" bolts and that area in general on my 2017 again today and no problems. Actually I gave it it's first wash right after I did the first oil change a few days ago and wiped that area clean. If it was a leak I'd see some residue on my fingers and there was nothing. The bolts were tight and no seepage coming from under those either. The wheels look much better now as well. Road dust is the pits. :lol:
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

That looks like clean engine oil. Maybe we both have gasket issues? I'll get. Onto my dealer when I'm back in the UK
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

It's going to the dealer Friday
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150

Post by hondamatic »

homie wrote:Not this again... you know we have seen something similar to this recently on a 2017... still unresolved by the poster.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=oil+leak
Well after 30 some miles after I got it back from the dealership I checked the housing.....no leak! I guess it was what they said, some dirt under the drain bolt washer on the axle housing. They did change out both washers to copper washers rather than aluminum.
I will be checking after each ride, the next morning just to make sure it is still dry.
Hope this helps take the worry out.....CHECK THOSE WASHERS under the drain bolts. It must have come from the factory like that since it only had 75 miles on it when it started leaking.
Sorry to highjack this thread but I thought it would be read quicker since this is a newer thread than mine.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

im really pleased you got yours fixed. the dealers mechanic had a look at the scooter today. i forgot what he said but basically amounts to we spilt some oil when changing some other oil. clean it off and dont worry.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150

Post by hondamatic »

Great news, I guess we both lucked out this time.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!