NCY shocks...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

NCY shocks...

Post by homie »

Quote from advertisements on the net....

Nitrogen dampening action via a small knob, allowing to dial in the perfect setting for your particular riding conditions and preferences.

That's it? Does anyone know what the adjustable collar on top is used for? Sorry I didn't get instructions with these used ones and I'd like to test them properly.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (282.56 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: NCY shocks...

Post by Jge64 »

The collar at the top is the same as coilovers for a car, they let you adjust the length of the shock so you can raise/lower the bike a bit. In turn ,it adjusts the preload of the spring at the same time.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Never used these kind of shocks. Just the regular ones with the spring pre-load adjustments. May eventually get a pair though as the stock ones wear out. . ..
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Oh jack it up a little, that might be nice!
Thanks
And the little screw above that probably lets the magic smoke out. Probably don't want to mess with that :)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Jge64 wrote:The collar at the top is the same as coilovers for a car, they let you adjust the length of the shock so you can raise/lower the bike a bit. In turn ,it adjusts the preload of the spring at the same time.
They won't change the stroke length, they just increase the compression (pre-load) on the spring to make them firmer. They are always 310mm long CC for example.
The dial at the bottom increases or decreases the eyelet that the oil passes through to increase or decrease the damping rate (bump only usually, but not rebound).
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

I definitely noticed that the rear shocks could use some improvement....

What's the model # on these?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Well poo... Jge64 got me all excited!
I appreciate the instructions chickaboo and even though these are more about ball cushions then a lift kit... I still love ya Jge64

Whisper'ers :roll:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

grndslm wrote:What's the model # on these?
No model number. Don't buy these until I see what all the hubub is about. Stock shocks never bothered me, the seller price was too tempting so I'll give em a go. Might be a big O'l money flush ;) they sure are purdy though.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

grndslm wrote:I definitely noticed that the rear shocks could use some improvement....

What's the model # on these?
The best value shocks are YSS Z series without the oil reservoirs.
PCXdemon and I have both had our YSS G-Euro shocks leak...
The newer G-Plus shocks with the reservoir at the top may not leak?
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

What's the difference between the Z-series and the V-series (called "hybrid")??

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2056#p29718
The marking in packaging printed as follow:
YSS V-Series
TB220-315P-05-11-XD
Hybrid-S220 PCX Chrome/Chrome

220 is the shock type number and 315 is the shock size in mm
and Chrome/Chrome being the color of the shock,
other color option being Black-Red but I choose Chrome
because from my previous experience on other scooter with
red painted shock absorber the paint will easily get scratch
I want to upgrade this immediately, but I'll more than likely turn this into a Winter upgrade after seeing more comparisons of the NCY and YYS shocks...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

grndslm wrote:What's the difference between the Z-series and the V-series (called "hybrid")??
W, X and Y? :lol:

No idea sorry, find the specs and compare, look at the prices and make a choice.
Also, YSS are half the price of NCY, so it's up to you if you want to wait or not...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Fancy! Gee, what else do they do?

Wait!! Don't touch those dials! If you connect a monitor you can watch the next TV show!...or you can turn that little dial and watch the local news, weather, and traffic. :-)

What ever happened to the good old days of changing shocks on a PCX, turning one dial, and riding off into the sunset??
If you get those shocks, let us know how they are as apposed to say, YSS shocks. (You really can't compare any aftermarket shocks to the bottom line ones that come with the PCX.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

There IS an easier way. Honda should have two holes in the luggage box. Snap out covers over the holes (remove and replace) and shocks would take ten minutes to install. So silly to take down the bike like this... oops youtube's going to tag this for the song in the background, I should know better :lol: video probably won't be up long

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

If you're crafty with small delicate petite hands/wrists (Asian), you can get away with just removing the grab rail and lifting the back of the bin.
I am not blessed with such qualities, so I take the whole seat storage bucket/bin thing out, but leave all the side panels on (for the OWL anyway).

Homie: Make sure you increase your pre-load before putting the bodywork back on. Good luck doing it afterwards!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote: Homie: Make sure you increase your pre-load before putting the bodywork back on. Good luck doing it afterwards!
I haven't reassembled yet, are you suggesting one rides around without panels or seat messing with the pre-load :lol: There is a set screw on the pre-load ring so I will leave it loose, THANKS! Should be able to turn the collar fine with panels and leave the set screw in the best position for an allen wrench.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

As a ballpark, I found 21mm or almost 7/8" to work OK for me. And funnily enough I've seen other people recommend that much pre-load, too.
Because my pre-load is adjusted from the bottom I don't have to remove stuff, but I can only do tiny 1/8 turns at a time, so it takes a while...
I might be soon increasing my pre-load to 25mm or 1" since I seem to be getting a bit (more) portly since the accident. :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Good to know Chicaboo, as for a review of the NCY Shock - I had a bigger WOW moment when I switched to oversized tires for comfort and looks. I'm sure these are fabulous shocks and 5 star eye candy but my balloon tires smoothed me out a long time ago. Glad I didn't pay too much for these shocks because they are pre-owned but the adjustments are noticeable.
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

homie wrote:Good to know Chicaboo, as for a review of the NCY Shock - I had a bigger WOW moment when I switched to oversized tires for comfort and looks. I'm sure these are fabulous shocks and 5 star eye candy but my balloon tires smoothed me out a long time ago. Glad I didn't pay too much for these shocks because they are pre-owned but the adjustments are noticeable.
Hey Homie, I am a brand new owner 2016 PCX. I took off that rear rack on Sat in order wire in my Shad top box brake light, lol
But hey I have a few questions.
1. Can you bore those holes while everything is in place with a hole saw kit?

2. I have brand new shocks but are those replacements worth the money if mine aren't bad? What I mean is, should i junk the stcok shocks now and go with the aftermarket and enjoy the new ride right away?

3. What are the sizes of the larger tires you mention?

Thanks,
Mark
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'll bet the reason they didn't put access holes for the shock fasteners in the underseat storage area is because they thought it may effect their claims of "weather resistant". Whatever you use to cover the holes up is going to have to withstand the carrier loads and yet be easy enough to install or remove when needed. It could be a job for "Gorilla Tape" unless you want to try something like a mechanical pipe plug or rubber stopper. The thing is I don't know if the mechanical plug will have enough material on the "pet carrier" to grab onto without distorting it. At the end of the day a simple piece of tape may be adequate.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2- ... /100342630

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Plug-Inch ... B00M0VT5TY
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

markcap wrote: Hey Homie, I am a brand new owner 2016 PCX. I took off that rear rack on Sat in order wire in my Shad top box brake light, lol
But hey I have a few questions.
1. Can you bore those holes while everything is in place with a hole saw kit? I don't see why not but you should know I got distracted and wondered off the idea after fashioning a backup seat release mod. So this shock bolt access mod is on the back burner for me and maybe one of you people can take it through it's challenges, success or failure.

2. I have brand new shocks but are those replacements worth the money if mine aren't bad? What I mean is, should i junk the stcok shocks now and go with the aftermarket and enjoy the new ride right away? I have to say the adjustable aftermarket NCY shocks are only slightly better than stock with oversized tires for gaining a better ride sorry.

3. What are the sizes of the larger tires you mention? The front-120/70-14 & the rear-140/70-14 to get the rear in requires moving the airbox off 3/8" and raising rear fender 1/2". No modification is needed to the front end as the 120 fits fine as is. Michelin city grips

Video shows the spacer locations to get the larger rear tire installed (minor mod) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Rh1nmcdAo