Bike cut while riding and now will not start!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Techno
Year: 2011
Color: Black

Bike cut while riding and now will not start!

Post by Techno »

Hi all

I'm in need of a bit of help please. I'm a long standing motorcyclist mainly large sports bikes, experienced mechanic but have never worked on a scooter of any kind, as with most bikes each model has common issues I'm hoping this is one of them. I've searched through the forum but found nothing, so I'm hoping you guys can help us. To compound matters the bike is 100 odd miles away from me, so the diagnostics is via phone and web cam, from someone who has very limited mechanical experience.

The issue, my son's PCX125, 2011 model, cut out while he was riding over to me yesterday and now will not start.

The bike's making a slight rattling noise when the starter is pushed, the engine is turning but it will not start, the noise appears to be coming from the front variator. The belt is fine, the rear wheel turns, battery is good, fuel in the tank, there's a spark at the plug, oil in the engine it's low but there, no warning lights came on or are on, bike done almost 11000 miles, the bike's never missed a beat ironically he was coming over to me for the weekend so I could service (14k) it for him!

Thanking you in advance.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Bike cut while riding and now will not start!

Post by homie »

Kill switch, side stand switch, starter and stater... all eliminated. Whats next? I would think since its cranking and not starting there would be clatter in the variator and that noise would end with centrifugal force when it starts so don't focus on that too much. Must go to the next thing keeping it from firing up... fuel blocked? compression?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When did he last put gas in it? Could he have gotten some bad gas?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

As long as the battery is charged up Okay and the terminals are clean and it does respond to the starter switch with enthusiasm but with no results in starting then I'd rule out a battery problem. As you stated the battery seems good. Also spark getting to the plug eh? Which leaves fuel or air. Fuel pump? Contaminated fuel or line blockage? That's a tough one. . .. :o
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Spray some starter fluid into the air box,start cranking..Report back results.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

EZ is on to it...

A compression gauge if you have it can eliminate all the major possibilities in minutes, rings, valves, timing chain. Get the expensive repairs off the table. Would make me feel better right off.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Does the plug get wet with fuel, any oil on the plug?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Ignition, check. Battery, check. That leaves us the fuel. Check fuel lines, or try bleeding or cleaning the carb. See if fuel is reaching the combustion chamber. Also clean air filter.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Here are my Ideas, is there too much oil in the crankcase? I bought my scoot with a rattling noise from the crankcase also and it turned out to be the timing belt tensioner that broke because of too much oil in the crankcase. The belt tensioner isn't hard to remover to inspect.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Here is the noise for a bad cam chain tensioner.
https://youtu.be/YiBHpAUF5A0
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Techno

Post by Techno »

Hi guys thanks for all the replies sorry it's taken so long to respond but I haven't had any notification to my email to say I've had replies?
homie wrote:Kill switch, side stand switch, starter and stater... all eliminated. Whats next? I would think since its cranking and not starting there would be clatter in the variator and that noise would end with centrifugal force when it starts so don't focus on that too much. Must go to the next thing keeping it from firing up... fuel blocked? compression?
Homie yep I'm leaning towards a fuelling issue, possibly the pump.
Mel46 wrote:When did he last put gas in it? Could he have gotten some bad gas?
It's possible but here in the UK it's very unlikely especially from a Shell station, in all the 30 plus years I've been riding never had bad fuel.
PCX150Rider wrote:As long as the battery is charged up Okay and the terminals are clean and it does respond to the starter switch with enthusiasm but with no results in starting then I'd rule out a battery problem. As you stated the battery seems good. Also spark getting to the plug eh? Which leaves fuel or air. Fuel pump? Contaminated fuel or line blockage? That's a tough one. . .. :o
PCX150Rider yep that where I'm going.
homie wrote:EZ is on to it...
A compression gauge if you have it can eliminate all the major possibilities in minutes, rings, valves, timing chain. Get the expensive repairs off the table. Would make me feel better right off.
Chances of a quality well maintained, low mileage, unstressed 4 stoke suffering anything you list is almost impossible without symptoms/noise/issues.
Gil wrote:Here are my Ideas, is there too much oil in the crankcase? I bought my scoot with a rattling noise from the crankcase also and it turned out to be the timing belt tensioner that broke because of too much oil in the crankcase. The belt tensioner isn't hard to remover to inspect.
Gil
Oil is on the low side still in range but low.
alx123 wrote:Ignition, check. Battery, check. That leaves us the fuel. Check fuel lines, or try bleeding or cleaning the carb. See if fuel is reaching the combustion chamber. Also clean air filter.
The bike has single point fuel inject through a throttle body, there is no crab/float bowl.
Gil wrote:Here is the noise for a bad cam chain tensioner.
https://youtu.be/YiBHpAUF5A0

To get this noise the engine has to be running!

I'm going up the fuel supply route, hopefully I'll be able to get over to him this weekend and look for myself.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

if it was me (im half idiot) id spray some starter fluid a very small amount inairfilter box and see if it starts and runs for a few seconds
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Techno wrote:Hi guys thanks for all the replies sorry it's taken so long to respond but I haven't had any notification to my email to say I've had replies?
Look in your Junk folder.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm old school. Always start with checking for a spark at the plug first and go from there...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm old school. Always start with checking for a spark at the plug first and go from there...
Yup. . .you hit the nail on the head!
Techno

Post by Techno »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:
Techno wrote:Hi guys thanks for all the replies sorry it's taken so long to respond but I haven't had any notification to my email to say I've had replies?
Look in your Junk folder.
Yes, done that there's nothing in there.
Techno

Post by Techno »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Yup. . .you hit the nail on the head!
Yep did that and said so in the fist post.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Did u fix it yet ?? Still working on it.. What did you do so far ??
Techno

Post by Techno »

easyrider wrote:Did u fix it yet ?? Still working on it.. What did you do so far ??
Hi no not yet, as I said the bike is at my son's he's 100 odd miles away. I've not as yet had a chance to get over there plus he's got very limited tools/experience, I can't drag all my tools over there just too many plus with a problem like this it's hard to know what you'd actually need.

via web cam I've ruled out, lack of spark/fuel etc. I got him to check there's fuel getting to the throttle body so the pump is working, ruled out blocked tank breather, it's a proper mystery. That said he's got very limited experience and there's only so much you can do via a web cam so it's possible he's missed something.

I'm trying to find a way to collect the bike and get it over to me, but it's a case of when I'm available he's not and or the van isn't!
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Sounds like the last thing to check for is compression. Pull out spark plug, put finger over hole and turn it over.
If he was running down the road with no symptoms and it shut off I would guess value timing. Cam chain or tensioner, cam sensor or sprocket, crank sensor or sprocket. Basic compression test should rule out all but the sensors.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015