How do I patch a punctured rear tire? Is it safe?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Vince
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: How do I patch a punctured rear tire? Is it safe?

Post by Vince »

you you wrote:As GN2 has alluded to. There are two types of plug. The temporary get you home ones and the permanent ones.

Both are entirely suitable for their intended uses, and it's your choice to use them or not.

Neither will stop the sky falling.
u33db wrote:I have one of those plug kits but not had occasion to use it.

The only time i would would use it would be as a get-me-home solution if i was stranded somewhere with a blatant hole in my car tyre.

I would not use it on a bike for safety reasons.

A slow puncture is not a good reason to try a plug kit out as it is cheap enough to buy a tyre and fit it yourself with minimal tools. Even if you can't DIY you could buy a used tyre and get that mounted somewhere which is still infinity preferable to plugging.
thanks.

unfortunately, the dealership doesn't patch tires, because it goes against manufacturer guidelines due to liability risks.

and i don't know how to remove and reinstall a tire myself, especially the rear one. otherwise, i would do it myself.

therefore, i have to resort to a temporary plug in the meantime.

i may or may not have the tires replaced, or just scrap the entire bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Come get your IRC's Vince ;) no plugs, 200 miles on them FREE!
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (161.13 KiB) Viewed 957 times
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

I don't like putting in a plug with those do it yourself kits. You wind up enlarging the tiny hole created by a nail. I have a very small leak due to a finishing nail on my Aprillia. Gonna patch it from the inside when I get time. Hopefully it should seal.
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Vince wrote:
you you wrote:As GN2 has alluded to. There are two types of plug. The temporary get you home ones and the permanent ones.

Both are entirely suitable for their intended uses, and it's your choice to use them or not.

Neither will stop the sky falling.
u33db wrote:I have one of those plug kits but not had occasion to use it.

The only time i would would use it would be as a get-me-home solution if i was stranded somewhere with a blatant hole in my car tyre.

I would not use it on a bike for safety reasons.

A slow puncture is not a good reason to try a plug kit out as it is cheap enough to buy a tyre and fit it yourself with minimal tools. Even if you can't DIY you could buy a used tyre and get that mounted somewhere which is still infinity preferable to plugging.
thanks.

unfortunately, the dealership doesn't patch tires, because it goes against manufacturer guidelines due to liability risks.

and i don't know how to remove and reinstall a tire myself, especially the rear one. otherwise, i would do it myself.

therefore, i have to resort to a temporary plug in the meantime.

i may or may not have the tires replaced, or just scrap the entire bike.
Yes just scrap the bike. It's for the best. :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

markcap wrote:I don't like putting in a plug with those do it yourself kits. You wind up enlarging the tiny hole created by a nail. I have a very small leak due to a finishing nail on my Aprillia. Gonna patch it from the inside when I get time. Hopefully it should seal.
We've been through this. Watch my lips. You can't patch a tyre.
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:Come get your IRC's Vince ;) no plugs, 200 miles on them FREE!
Wow, thanks again, Bob. They are perfect. It was nice meeting you today. You really know your stuff about bikes. Fantastic. :D
Vince

Post by Vince »

you you wrote:Yes just scrap the bike. It's for the best. :roll:
Not with new shiny tires, I won't. :D

I'm going to have to replace the brakes very soon though.

I'm not sure what the maximum mileage is for a PCX150. I'm almost at 20000 miles. Not sure what's safe.

I spilled the bike three times now, but it still runs. There's some frame damage, and the rear wheel is a bit loose.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

My new PCX 200miles, got a nail in the middle, took to a local rickshaw repair shop, the man thrust a black thing into the tyre, done, wow, so simple.
2000 miles since, not a problem. all I want is, it does not blow like a bomb, leak is OK.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Vince wrote:
Wow, thanks again, Bob. They are perfect. It was nice meeting you today. You really know your stuff about bikes. Fantastic. :D
Like wise, have you given anymore thought about taking me up on the offer to install these aftermarket parts I ordered on your 20k PCX. I would love to have a go at your 3 spill high mileage 2013 :D We get those tires mounted, install a new variator, rollers and boss bearing, replace the entire clutch pack and wheel bearings. We can go after your brakes and any and everything else due in maintenance. Big job? yes, take some time? probably a few days less if you help but mostly waiting on parts as we need them. What do I get out of this work? NOTHING ITS FUN! and you get a lovely restored 13 model... or a pile of crap :lol:

Hey this is the first you mentioned frame damage o_O what up with your frame?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Vince wrote:
Like wise, have you given anymore thought about taking me up on the offer to install these aftermarket parts I ordered on your 20k PCX. I would love to have a go at your 3 spill high mileage 2013 :D We get those tires mounted, install a new variator, rollers and boss bearing, replace the entire clutch pack and wheel bearings. We can go after your brakes and any and everything else due in maintenance. Big job? yes, take some time? probably a few days less if you help but mostly waiting on parts as we need them. What do I get out of this work? NOTHING ITS FUN! and you get a lovely restored 13 model... or a pile of crap :lol:

You're a decent bloke Homie. Good on you.
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:Like wise, have you given anymore thought about taking me up on the offer to install these aftermarket parts I ordered on your 20k PCX. I would love to have a go at your 3 spill high mileage 2013 :D We get those tires mounted, install a new variator, rollers and boss bearing, replace the entire clutch pack and wheel bearings. We can go after your brakes and any and everything else due in maintenance. Big job? yes, take some time? probably a few days less if you help but mostly waiting on parts as we need them. What do I get out of this work? NOTHING ITS FUN! and you get a lovely restored 13 model... or a pile of crap :lol:
Yah, I'll definitely take you up on it. I just have to warn you though, that it's pretty beat up. I've shattered three different windshields on it, for example. I can show it to you, and you can decide whether it's worth your time. I'm just trying to get it functional during it's last miles, but I don't expect it to look nice.
Actually, I should correct myself. It's not the frame. There are a couple of cosmetic cracks on the outside plastic panels. Nothing dangerous. It just looks pretty banged up. I used to keep the bike perfectly maintained through the dealership service department when it was newer, but I let it go as it got older, so as not to pour too much money into it. The bike is a workhorse and not used for show, so I let it go when it exceeded 15000 miles. My goal has been to ride it as long as safely possible, and then retire it. I go through a bike every three or four years at 20000 miles each, using it for work routes throughout the city and suburbs. It's seen some harsh times.

And technically, the panels didn't get cracked from me spilling it. (Although I shattered three windshields.) Some lady backed into my parked bike about a year ago and knocked it over onto it's side. This caused a couple of cracks in the outer panels. I walked out of the local store and my bike was laying sideways on the side of the street where i had parked it. It was a hit-and-run. A witness said she saw a lady hit it, but couldn't identify who it was exactly.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ALRIGHTY THEN!!!!
Lets make a silk purse out of a sow's ear... WOOT! Bring to 'Homies Garage' ASAP

I will get the brake pads and fluids on order & I think since you say the rear wheel has excessive side to side play, bearings for the final drive. We have a stock variator complete with a new clutch pack. The cogged belt I have may or may not fit since it was for a 2015 and yours is a 13 but someone here might answer that. My man at Goodyear will mount those new tires if we deliver the wheels off the bike.

So excited NOW!
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:ALRIGHTY THEN!!!!
Lets make a silk purse out of a sow's ear... WOOT! Bring to 'Homies Garage' ASAP

I will get the brake pads and fluids on order & I think since you say the rear wheel has excessive side to side play, bearings for the final drive. We have a stock variator complete with a new clutch pack. The cogged belt I have may or may not fit since it was for a 2015 and yours is a 13 but someone here might answer that. My man at Goodyear will mount those new tires if we deliver the wheels off the bike.

So excited NOW!
Please wait a bit first. The dealership is going to confirm with me what parts are actually needed, before anything should be placed on order. How much do these parts cost?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Sure thing Vince, here are some of the outrageous costs for PCX parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-BRAK ... rG&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/743-20-30-Drive ... 5731.m3795

I have a new stock variatior & choice of rollers. I have the clutch pack and belt already as well. Brake pads 25 bucks, tire mounts probably free. So that leaves the wiggle in the rear wheel bearings. The new clutch pack has two bearings in it already but if you need the one in the final drive (gear box) I would guess at most 5 dollars. Honda oil for both crank case and gear box 15.00

Vince you will be riding like new for less than 50 bucks... LET'S DO THIS, who needs a dealer.
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:Sure thing Vince, here are some of the outrageous costs for PCX parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-BRAK ... rG&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/743-20-30-Drive ... 5731.m3795

I have a new stock variatior & choice of rollers. I have the clutch pack and belt already as well. Brake pads 25 bucks, tire mounts probably free. So that leaves the wiggle in the rear wheel bearings. The new clutch pack has two bearings in it already but if you need the one in the final drive (gear box) I would guess at most 5 dollars. Honda oil for both crank case and gear box 15.00

Vince you will be riding like new for less than 50 bucks... LET'S DO THIS, who needs a dealer.
Oh okay, thanks. I didn't realize that the parts cost so little. I will know Monday night if I have jury duty on Tuesday. Then I can give you a timeline. Is that okay?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yep... Hey check out this guys vision for Honda PCX

all that creative spirit and he forgot to redesign the seat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:Yep... Hey check out this guys vision for Honda PCX

all that creative spirit and he forgot to redesign the seat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting. I never heard of a PCX250. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa homie! Diggin' the redesign in the vid! Which one? White :D or would it be Gold :roll:
I keep on saying a 250 would be the sweet spot. Going up over the years 50cc at a time? C'mon get on with it! Whadda they say here in the USA? "You're Milkin' It!" Dang, you could pop wheelie's at 300 lbs with some more umph. :lol: Nah, not me. I gots to keep the rubber on da ground. Safety and all, ya know

By the way, I tip my lid to you kind sir (as I have done before :D ), for your human kindness. Cheers to you bro!
And you sir vince are one lucky man. Who would've thought that you would come onboard, living in the same vicinity as homie, (without posting your location in your profile, hello?) make a few posts and quicker than you can sign in....Get free tires! Holy Smoker's that's just crazy man!

Offers are still on the table and homie's garage is open for business, your business. Shoot! if I were nearby I'd come for a viewing.

Now ya see how easy it is to get excited! Aw shucks, this chokes me up.
Cheers fellas, now make it happen 8)

homie, You Rock!

Wait! 2yous pm'd me earlier and said.....you are the "Awesome in Awesomeness!" :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

YES! WN... that guy has a dream. He should be working for Honda's designs.

Vince isn't Con'Vinced yet :lol: He's thinking this is too good to be true. I don't blame him but if you are in proximity of Homie's garage and you have a PCX on the way to the salvage yard COME ON LETS TEAR INTO IT! Any one of your guys would do the same.

Vince, You know that body panel damage you have, you could replace all of it changing the color entirely if you are of a mind to do so 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-125-1 ... g-&vxp=mtr
Vince

Post by Vince »

homie wrote:Vince, You know that body panel damage you have, you could replace all of it changing the color entirely if you are of a mind to do so 8)
Tempting. But I don't know how much money I should pour into it with the high mileage. I just want to keep it functional as long as possible for work purposes. Less miles on my car that way. I easily put 5K miles a year on the motorbike. About 40K miles between this bike and the last one. But that's 40K less miles on the car.
WhiteNoise wrote:And you sir vince are one lucky man. Who would've thought that you would come onboard, living in the same vicinity as homie, (without posting your location in your profile, hello?) make a few posts and quicker than you can sign in....Get free tires! Holy Smoker's that's just crazy man!
Totally unexpected. I never would have guessed. Thank you, Homie. :D
Offers are still on the table and homie's garage is open for business, your business. Shoot! if I were nearby I'd come for a viewing.
Perhaps it can go on YouTube. Before, during and after.