Ethanol in fuel ?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

twlguy

Ethanol in fuel ?

Post by twlguy »

Hard to get where I live, but should gas w/out ethanol be used in my bike?

What about those ethanol treatments? Any advice as to whether or what kind?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Ethanol in fuel ?

Post by Mel46 »

These bikes today are set up so that they can run with a 10% mixture of ethanol, but that does not mean that they MUST have ethanol. They run fine on regular unleaded gas without ethanol. In fact, I have found that they run smoother without ethanol in the mix, so when I am out riding I try to go out into the country where some gas stations do not have any ethanol in their gas. You don't have to run high test in your pcx either. They are set up to run fine on regular gas. So, in answer to your question, don't worry about it. Just fill it up and go. It will run fine, with or without ethanol.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I never did SOAK off the build up on my old pistons, replaced them and took the old ones to a wire brush eventually removing the baked on carbon corn :D

Note the dirty pistons at the end of my video, I wonder what non-ethanol pistons would look like with 25k miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9ckDq3mx0
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

FYI.. every time I tested the fuel in my area it averages about 13 percent.They are sneaking more into it than the ten percent.If you use up the fuel and don't let it sit too long you will never know the difference or have any issues.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:FYI.. every time I tested the fuel in my area it averages about 13 percent.They are sneaking more into it than the ten percent.If you use up the fuel and don't let it sit too long you will never know the difference or have any issues.
Or if you lease vehicles. But seriously if they put one of these pure gas outlets within my range my next new vehicle will never know of these crappy fuel blends. We have so many regulated seasonal blends in my area changing all the time. I'm certain the engines don't handle them ALL as well as advertise because no ones gives a rats azz about my property but me :D
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I use only Top Tier fuels (SHELL) in cars, mower and scoots.
Our most popular station in mid Ohio (Speedway).does not offer Top Tier formulae in any of their blends. I doubt many customers know this. Prices are exactly the same at the two TT stations just down the road.
Want the best gas for your engine? Explore what a Top Tier fuel has to offer.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I only use Chevron/Texaco or Exxon/Mobil. Even then, some of my cars perform better with one vs the other.

I will never use those offbeat brands such as Racetrac. There was an article in our paper not too long ago about someone who filled up at one of those stations and didn't get more than a block away from the station before their car quit. The mechanic found that the gas contained a large percentage of water in it. Racetrac picked up the bill for fixing the car, thanks to a threatened lawsuit.

QuickTrip is a different story. I no longer consider them an offbeat brand. They guarantee their gas, and they have a booming business around here. I use them when I am paying cash, like when we are out on the bikes. The bikes have had not problems with that gas.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I only use Chevron/Texaco or Exxon/Mobil. Even then, some of my cars perform better with one vs the other.

I will never use those offbeat brands such as Racetrac. There was an article in our paper not too long ago about someone who filled up at one of those stations and didn't get more than a block away from the station before their car quit. The mechanic found that the gas contained a large percentage of water in it. Racetrac picked up the bill for fixing the car, thanks to a threatened lawsuit.

QuickTrip is a different story. I no longer consider them an offbeat brand. They guarantee their gas, and they have a booming business around here. I use them when I am paying cash, like when we are out on the bikes. The bikes have had not problems with that gas.
Check web site...see if quicktrip is blended to top tier standards.Are they on the list?
The TT fuels are the same price as "Betty's Burgers and Gaz!".....
Using a Top Tier fuel insures that you are running your engine with a fuel that meets higher standards and
removes the guesswork, heresay, marketing and popularity of a local no-name brand.
Check the list.....even costco is on there...we're not talking Shell, etc. as your only way of giving your engine the finest treatment possible.

Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oh God.

Bring back bob the oil guy..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I only use Chevron/Texaco or Exxon/Mobil. Even then, some of my cars perform better with one vs the other.

Check web site...see if quicktrip is blended to top tier standards.Are they on the list?
Using a Top Tier fuel insures that you are running your engine with a fuel that meets higher standards and
removes the guesswork, heresay, marketing and popularity of a local no-name brand.
Check the list.....even costco is on there...we're not talking Shell, etc. as your only way of giving your engine the finest treatment possible.

Fish

You know Betty's burger and gaz don't have their own poor quality refinery don't you?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
fish wrote:

Fish

You know Betty's burger and gaz don't have their own poor quality refinery don't you?
That's right.. It all comes from the same place.. Bettys or Gaz?? However you might avoid an older gas station that has underground tanks leaking water into them. Also if they run the tank near empty you have a possibility of picking up bottom water that has settled due to tank condensation. They are supposed to stick their tanks and measure the water at the bottom, but don't see that much anymore. Racetrack usually does fast turnover in gasoline. Maybe missed a shipment and it got real low and they pumped in the water. They all get their gas from same tanker or pipeline. Additives are proprietary to named brands however. For example,Chevron uses a well known detergent called TECHRON.. They all have their own..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

QuickTrip (QT) is on the list. Racetrac, nope.

Top Tier retailers include 76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Co-op, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express, Exxon, Holiday, Kwik Star Stores, Kwik Trip, Mahalo, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Petro-Canada, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell / Shell V-Power, Sinclair Standard, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Tempo, Texaco, Tri-Par, and Valero.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Correct.however keep in mind that all gasoline comes from the same refinery.Its all the same.Where the difference is in the additive detergent package the fueler uses.To get a top tier license you have to buy a certified additive package and pay that company for it.Its like using Dexos approved oil.You have to buy a GM certification.Many oils refuse to buy the certification including some big oil companies although they meet all standards and may even exceed GM requirements.So Racetrack may not want to pay extra for these certified packages.It is important to add that all fuelers must add a detergent package that meets EPA detergent requirements.All US fuels must use a EPA approved detergent package.Its all anout the perception and bring a member of the club...not necessarily a better fuel.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:
you you wrote:
fish wrote:

Fish

That's right.. It all comes from the same place.. Bettys or Gaz?? However you might avoid an older gas station that has underground tanks leaking water into them. Also if they run the tank near empty you have a possibility of picking up bottom water that has settled due to tank condensation. They are supposed to stick their tanks and measure the water at the bottom, but don't see that much anymore. Racetrack usually does fast turnover in gasoline. Maybe missed a shipment and it got real low and they pumped in the water. They all get their gas from same tanker or pipeline. Additives are proprietary to named brands however. For example,Chevron uses a well known detergent called TECHRON.. They all have their own..[/quote]

Oh God. You are so right. I just thought it was was petrol to make our twickle teeny weeny scooters go.

You carry on, I will too.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Well I have been using what ever is in my neighbors truck and is runs great
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ItBeMe wrote:Well I have been using what ever is in my neighbors truck and is runs great
Bonus. It can light the BBQ too. Invite them over :lol:
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

LOL on the neighbours truck!

I can actually hear my PCX ping on Shell low test gas. Esso (ExxonMobil) runs great. Speedway in the states runs fine too. Meh. To each their own... But I always avoid the no name stuff.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r