Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Post by hondamatic »

I have a 2017 PCX and just noticed this oil leak drip on the rear axle. I hadn't noticed it before yesterday so I took a picture last night and maybe someone could shed a little light on where it might be coming from. It has about 100 miles on it and has spread to the inside of the rear wheel but the picture doesn't show that. I don't know if there is a bolt that might not be tight or something overfilled from the factory. The scoot is under warranty however it is about 100 miles to the nearest dealer.
I don't know if there is something I could check myself or if it is nothing to worry about. I plan on taking a trip of about 200 miles before long so I would like to get to the bottom of this. I looked for a parts diagram but was coming up with nothing.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Oil Leak.jpg
Oil Leak.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Re: Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Post by homie »

Go to 3:02 in this video and check the drain bolt and top off bolt on the final drive oil reservoir. Get these two potential simple fixes off the list first by wiping everything down and checking for the source of leak after a short ride. If either bolt is the source of leak use the torque values in the video to tighten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxkEak ... wokgYeAxFP
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

I will do that later tonight. My wife thinks we need to go out and get something to eat.....she just doesn't understand!
Thanks for the link homie I'll check it out.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

It might of just had too much oil in the rear gear box. If it is that then the leak will stop once enough oil has seeped out.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

hondamatic wrote: I'll check it out.
Keep us posted, really concerned being a 2017. First I've seen of this in here, even for older models. If not 10w30 from the final reduction case fill/drain bolts its certainly not from the paper filter in the air box because that uses a dust adhesive not oil. Here are the troubleshooting possibilities for (oil leak) from final reduction case per the SM. I hope its just overfill. Gil is right... and faster than me :D Bike on center stand, remove the upper bolt in the video and let the overfill out. Torque bolt back to 17 ft pounds.
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (209.83 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (162.68 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

I am going to drop the upper bolt tomorrow and see if any oil drains out while it's on the center stand. Torque the bolt back to 17 ft pounds and go for a ride to the city lake and back home. 6 miles give or take and then see if there is any oil seeping or dripping.
Thanks Homie!
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Oh, I will keep you updated as to the progress.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

hondamatic wrote: ride to the city lake and back home. 6 miles give or take and then see if there is any oil seeping or dripping.
Yea well you better pack your rain gear, and stop blowing that storm up here. Been on lock down all day and now here comes a storm from Missouri :roll:
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

homie wrote:
hondamatic wrote: ride to the city lake and back home. 6 miles give or take and then see if there is any oil seeping or dripping.
Yea well you better pack your rain gear, and stop blowing that storm up here. Been on lock down all day and now here comes a storm from Missouri :roll:
Forecast for tomorrow is 73, partly cloudy same for Friday!
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Is there any oil in the little clear tube on the back of the airbox?
Also, you can squeeze the edges of the little black tube next to it and see if any oil leaks out there, too.

This is nothing to do with the air filter, but there is a breather tube coming up from the CVT that goes into the side of the airbox.
PLEASE make sure that tube is slotted into the airbox, as it's something that gets missed a lot in service/pre-delivery inspection.
Anyhow, if your CVT is overfilled, that breather tube may squirt some oil up into the airbox, which would show in the little tubes.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You should do what he said first HM, makes sense... Chicaboo is on the PCX whisperer list, I don't count myself as one yet.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

chicaboo wrote:Is there any oil in the little clear tube on the back of the airbox?
Also, you can squeeze the edges of the little black tube next to it and see if any oil leaks out there, too.

This is nothing to do with the air filter, but there is a breather tube coming up from the CVT that goes into the side of the airbox.
PLEASE make sure that tube is slotted into the airbox, as it's something that gets missed a lot in service/pre-delivery inspection.
Anyhow, if your CVT is overfilled, that breather tube may squirt some oil up into the airbox, which would show in the little tubes.
Checked that tube already.....bone dry.
Thanks
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

hondamatic wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Is there any oil in the little clear tube on the back of the airbox?

Checked that tube already.....bone dry.
Thanks
Good stuff, just check that breather tube so I can sleep easy tonight. :P
You can reach through from the other side through the wheel to get at it.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Sorry for the late update due to wifey honey do list. I dropped the upper bolt and some oil dripped out of the fill hole so I let it sit and let it drip for an hour or so reinserted the bolt and went for a ride on the highway for about 10 miles. When I got back home I checked for oil.....same drip, same spot. (See photo on first page). The drip didn't seem as big nor was it slung on the wheel as before I drained some oil out of the final drive housing. If nobody has any ideas I am going to call the dealer Monday and have them look at it. I hate to do that since it would be an hour and a half one way.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That's unfortunate, you are running out of easy fixes and good options. Somebody think of something else before the gorilla's start taking things apart. How is the oil level looking in the crankcase?
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

homie wrote:That's unfortunate, you are running out of easy fixes and good options. Somebody think of something else before the gorilla's start taking things apart. How is the oil level looking in the crankcase?
I just checked the oil level and it is down about 3/4 on the cross hatched area of the dipstick. It looks like I am loosing oil from the crankcase now. I won't have time to change the oil today or tomorrow but I will do that and make sure it is at the top of the mark, then watch it very closely. I am going to also check with the dealer and see if they have any ideas about this. The oil should still be at the top of the mark with only 100 miles on the clock.
Updates will follow as I find out more.
My little Met never had this problem with 3,200 miles!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I'm thinking that is gear oil. Color is right for gear oil....wrong for engine oil.....even a new, low mileage engine. Leaking seal?
Bad luck....See the dealer.
Fish
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

fish wrote:I'm thinking that is gear oil. Color is right for gear oil....wrong for engine oil.....even a new, low mileage engine. Leaking seal?
Bad luck....See the dealer.
Fish
I am thinking leaking seal also, however my crankcase oil is low and it has been at the top of the mark on the dipstick. Is there a seal there? I have looked but can't find any diagrams of that.
I guess it's time to call the dealer, I will do that tomorrow and see what they think.
Updates as will be posted as I find out more information. Thanks guys/ladies.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Don't tell the dealer you removed the oil level check bolt on the transfer case. The bad dealers use that as an out...
Just say you've observed the leak, and it comes back after cleaning, and have noticed the level dropping on the dipstick.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Quick update, I called the dealer today and set up an appointment for the 23rd. I won't be able to get it there before then. I will keep riding it but just for short trips in town. It's still leaking so I guess I'll just take it easy.
If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in!