Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Post by homie »

hondamatic wrote: I could try what easyrider suggested but I don't know the bolt torque to apply. I have the torque wrench, either inch pounds or foot pounds and not afraid to use them.
You could, IF that's the issue BUT you only have access to 2 case bolts and possibly 3 if you pull one little black plastic cover. To do it proper you need to pull the clutch pack off from under the CVT cover. Again if the leak is in fact the final reduction case gasket here are the 6 total bolts to be tightened in a crisscross pattern to 17 foot pounds. If it were me I wouldn't have a warranty anyway so I would already be in there :D For you to loosen and re-tighten all 6 in sequence wouldn't take much effort but you must at least ask the dealer about your coverage prior to the disassembly.

EZ proposes to torque only the 2 accessible case bolts out of sequence... I think you will be making a trip to the dealer to maintain your one year warranty ;) You can learn about taking the CVT cover, variator, belt and clutch pack off another day.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (83.08 KiB) Viewed 914 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 914 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The good news, if EZ's right the gorillas will have to stand down. Take them 35 minutes to sequence those 6 case bolts 8)
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150

Post by hondamatic »

homie wrote:The good news, if EZ's right the gorillas will have to stand down. Take them 35 minutes to sequence those 6 case bolts 8)
I hope it will only take 35 minutes to sequence those 6 case bolts Homie however I think it is a bad gasket, maybe two gaskets. They did tell me that I would leave it so it may be that they are thinking it will be more than just torqueing bolts. I was going to torque the two I could see but I decided against it and will just let the dealership fix my problem. It is under warranty so why not. I don't think torqueing those two bolts would do it anyway since the leak seems to be coming lower down on the housing. I have been watching the leak and it seems to be getting a little worse so no highway only town until this gets resolved.
Have a good one!
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

hondamatic wrote: I was going to torque the two I could see but I decided against it and will just let the dealership fix my problem. It is under warranty so why not.
Good move, there is no need to take all the tupperware off to replace gaskets for your issue, this was mostly the concern for gorilla activity. I think you will have a good experience, pay no fee's and try and enjoy the trip. How do you plan to transport the PCX back and forth from the dealer?
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

I have a pickup homie, that is how I got it home when I bought it. It's not a bad trip, 4 lane highway and interstate all the way. Besides if my wife goes it will give her an excuse to hit a few stores while we are in the city, if not I'll get to hit Harbor Freight on the way back and take my time! LOL
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Ok latest update on my leak. I had left it at the dealership last Tuesday and they looked at it and cleaned the oil off the housing. The tech had ridden it about 6 miles and they said that they could not see anyplace that it had leaked. They sprayed some white powder all over the rear housing and told me to take it and try it. If I have any more leaks to let them know.
Well I have ridden it about 10 miles or so since picking it up last Saturday and low and behold it is leaking again...or still leaking would be a better choice of words. So I took a couple of pictures and that I have attached and it is as I suspected all along it is the gasket that is plain to see since they sprayed it on the housing.
They are closed today (Monday) but I will call them in the morning and make another trip to the city. Hopefully they can fix it this time.
Oh, I did torque the bolt that you see in the picture and it is torqued correctly to 17 ft/lbs.
More to come as I hear back from them, I will try to make another post tomorrow after talking to the service guy. They are an excellent dealership, this could have been found however if they would have just rode it some more....oh well, we have a new grand baby so that will take some of the pain away. I will take some time with him and pass the day away. Sorry for the long rant.
Attachments
Pic 7A.jpg
Pic 7A.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Pic 6A.jpg
Pic 6A.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Pic 5A.jpg
Pic 5A.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 853 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Sorry to hear about your fiasco.Sounds like a rolled or defective gasket.Sometimes a tweaking or tightening can help,and in your case may have saved you a pita trip of 150 miles.No luck this time for you.So now you have to make a second 150 mile trip to get this simple problem resolved.I feel for you in this regard,and the fact they did not diagnose and repair it the first time.I hope it is covered under warranty and they finally find a fix for your bike.Make sure you leave the oil trail,and you get a tame and experienced gorilla to work on it.Good luck
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

So I called the dealership this morning and sent them the pictures on my previous post. I am taking it back to them this week per their instructions to not clean off the housing and they would look at it in person and see what they could determine.
I have determined that it is that gasket. I don't know if there is a crack in the housing above the brake spring cable or if that is just a casting void. I am looking at Pic 5A2 just to the left of where the cable comes out I have pointed out two areas that could be questionable. The gasket is definitely leaking I think anyway.
Attachments
Pic 5A2.jpg
Pic 5A2.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 834 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Failed gasket. Not rocket science.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

you you wrote:Failed gasket. Not rocket science.
Yes that's what I think also.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Checked mine again tonight. Just dusty/dirty. . .no oil leak. Pushing close to 400 miles on it now. May do Engine oil change at 500 miles. Won't do first Final Drive oil change until end of this year. Manual says every 2 years but for the first one I'll do it sooner. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Checked mine again tonight. Just dusty/dirty. . .no oil leak. Pushing close to 400 miles on it now. May do Engine oil change at 500 miles. Won't do first Final Drive oil change until end of this year. Manual says every 2 years but for the first one I'll do it sooner. 8)

I would do the final drive when you change the oil. Why wouldn't you. 5 min job and it uses the same oil.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Well this is a freak one time factory screw up, do we feel better... No. Had to happen to somebody.
They say you never want a vehicle made on friday from any factory :roll: or was that monday... only wednesday's for me please :lol:
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

LOL homie you are right never made on Monday or Friday... :lol:
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Just to keep you informed....I called the dealership today to see what the status was on my ride since they have had it a week now. The shop foreman told me that they could not get it to leak for them! He told me that they had ridden it about 10 miles but it didn't leak for them. He also told me that he had ordered the gasket in question and some seals that could be the culprit but he didn't know what to replace. I asked him if they had sprayed any more of the white powder to see if it is still seeping where the picture showed, he hadn't but I think they will and check it maybe it will show up for them.
I told him to keep it and ride it because something was not right with it. It should not leak and it is NOT the shipping grease that he originally told me that he thought it was. He was very good and he told me that they would not give it back until it is fixed in order to save me a trip back.
I still have my Met and it has been a blessing, now I don't know if I really want to sell it or not, it's good to have a back up or plan B! LOL I like the guys there and they know their stuff, they are just being cautious with the leak and not doing a shot gun scatter fix. They want to know as much as I do what is wrong.
Have a good day y'all.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

So after about 3 or 4 weeks I got my ride back. I got the call yesterday from the dealership and the foreman told me I could pick it up anytime. I went today and got it home. He told me that they had replaced the 2 washers behind the fill and drain bolts on the rear axle housing with copper washers. I purchased some aluminum washers when I took it in the last time but will use copper washers if this is the fix. Dave told me that they had used a white spray powder product made by Suzuki for finding oil leaks and it works great. He said the tech replaced the washers, cleaned the housing and sprayed the powder then rode it to check for leaks. After a week or so he checked and no leaks. The tech cleaned the housing once again and sprayed it a second time and put more miles on it.....no leaks! The tech put 55 miles on it with no indication of a leak anyplace. They once again cleaned the housing and then made the call to me to come get it. The foreman told me to keep checking (which I will ) and let him know if I found any more oil where it doesn't belong. I assured him that I would and that I would call him in a couple of weeks to let him know one way or the other.
While talking to him he said the tech was very surprised as to how much power and pick up that the PCX has and was disappointed that he had to give it up since I was going to pick it up today.
I will see what happens in the next few miles and weeks and plan on a little road work with it next week I hope. It is supposed to get hot here in the Midwest next week so I might have to put off a long distance trip I was planning but I am going to do some highway miles to check it out for myself and make sure they truly have fixed the problem.
I think I will take a picture as it is now with the new copper washers and take another one once I get some miles on it.
Everyone have a good weekend and stay safe out there!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Issue has been resolved...

The dealership changed out both drain bolt washers to copper washers rather than aluminum.
Recommends checking the drain bolt washers, I did this and mine are copper so we don't want to see any other type or maybe just go old school rubber washer like other bikes. Happy ending but for the next guy hopefully we don't need a service call to get this sorted.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Glad it's fixed but 3 to 4 weeks when the fix was just a couple of washers is ridiculous.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

They kept it that long you you so they could ride it and make double damn sure they had found the problem. I am not upset about the length of time they kept it. I would rather have them keep it until it is fixed than to get it and still have the same problem.
Long story short, it is fixed and I have it at home. End of problem, end of story.