Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Oil leak on rear housing and tire.

Post by homie »

hondamatic wrote:Quick update, I called the dealer today and set up an appointment for the 23rd. I won't be able to get it there before then. I will keep riding it but just for short trips in town. It's still leaking so I guess I'll just take it easy.
If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in!
I'm done, PLEASE follow up with us from the service call. Let the dealer know we are REALLY interested in the how and why for future references.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150

Post by hondamatic »

I want answers also, I will keep this post updated for all. The dealer is from my hometown and I am friends with his family. I think he will let me know exactly what has happened, but after the 23rd.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Quick update: We lost our internet for 5 days and finally got it back Friday and been busy ever since. It was raining cats and dogs on the day I was to take the scooter to the dealer so I called and cancelled my appointment. I tried to re-schedule today but they close at noon and didn't realize it was past noon. Sooo I will call again on Tuesday and set it up once again.
I still have the oil leak but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse or better. I ride it anyway since it is still under warranty.
I will let the dealership know that it is a concern and that this forum would also like answers also. I want to take some longer trips this summer so I want it fixed as soon as I can. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week so I can get it to the dealer, it will be a 100 mile trip there on the back of my pickup.
I don't know what there schedule is so I don't know when I can report the final result. Everyone have a safe holiday and remember those who have served our country and those who didn't make it back home.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

100 miles round trip is long way.. One more time remove the drain bolt.. drain all the oil. Check carefully the threads on the drain bolt for cross threading or any abnormality.. check or better replace the gasket on the drain bolt with a new one or make one from some Teflon gasket material ..(Ace hardware)Reinstall drain bolt snugly then refill to proper capacity.By the way it is not abnormal to use some oil in the first 500 miles so that is something to watch but not get too excited about just yet.
Do the drain bolt /gasket ..and lets see how it goes. Might save you a lot of headache.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Have less than 100 miles on my new 2017 and haven't seen any leaks yet. But I would be interested to know what the dealer tells you. In the mean time I'll check mine daily just in case. . .. If I see oil in the same place I'll post about it here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Have less than 100 miles on my new 2017 and haven't seen any leaks yet. But I would be interested to know what the dealer tells you. In the mean time I'll check mine daily just in case. . .. If I see oil in the same place I'll post about it here.

I wouldnt worry about it tbh
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

you you wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:Have less than 100 miles on my new 2017 and haven't seen any leaks yet. But I would be interested to know what the dealer tells you. In the mean time I'll check mine daily just in case. . .. If I see oil in the same place I'll post about it here.

I am worried about it! Could be a crack in the housing that will get worse as time and miles accumulate. I think that is a good idea, to drain and fill the case to the proper level with a new washer. I'll do this before we go on a road trip to the dealership.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hondamatic wrote:
you you wrote:

I am worried about it! Could be a crack in the housing that will get worse as time and miles accumulate. I think that is a good idea, to drain and fill the case to the proper level with a new washer. I'll do this before we go on a road trip to the dealership.
I was replying to PCX150.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

I was replying to PCX150.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I see that now. Sorry for the misunderstanding you you. Have a good Memorial day.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I'm very interested in resolving this issue, I wish we could get this bike in the shop and hear what the diagnosis is.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

I was going to drain and refill the rear case and decided to take a couple more shots. I think the oil is coming from higher up than the upper fill bolt. I hope the pictures show what I was seeing.
I think it is coming from around the brake lever bar or directly above it.
Attachments
pic 4.jpg
pic 4.jpg (114.21 KiB) Viewed 750 times
pic 3.jpg
pic 3.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 750 times
pic 2.jpg
pic 2.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 750 times
pic 1.jpg
pic 1.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 750 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Ok..this can be an easy fix or a pita repair.If it is not coming from the drain bolt,it looks like there is some seepage in the seam where the gear case mates to clutch housing.You can try tightening those bolts down a bit more.Snug em up real good, especially at the bottom.I suspect they might be loose.Clean real good run awhile and recheck for leakage.If tightening doesn't solve the leak it could be the gasket in between the two halves.In which case major disassembly is required to replace the gasket.Not a big deal,but if under warranty,let them fix it.Its probably a torquing issue or failed gasket.Try tightening first.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Easy there Rider, lets think this thru for a moment considering we have a warranty in play and maybe someone looking for an out at Honda. I would love for a couple of torque checks to fix this but maybe we let the dealer do it and take responsibility for any over tightening or further leaking after re-torquing those bolts and a test period.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

100 miles to closest dealer..A slight turn of a wrench to snug up anything loose won't void any warranty.A simple check will never void any warranty.If he prefers to travel the 100 miles,time off,fuel cost,etc,etc that of course is his choice.But if the dealer only puts a wrench and tightens it up he will look offly silly.Nobody is saying to go balls to the wall with the wrench and breaking anything.. Remember,it's 100 mile trip..I would give it a go..His call.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think Homie is saying in his polite manner "FFS for the amount of time you've spent on the keyboard you could have taken it back to the dealer and made it their problem"

Or maybe not, who knows? Perhaps they could collect :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:I think Homie is saying in his polite manner "FFS for the amount of time you've spent on the keyboard you could have taken it back to the dealer and made it their problem"
Or maybe not, who knows? Perhaps they could collect :D
That's what he will do youyou, he's going in soon. He has wisely done nothing to void his warranty. We should give him support to keep his moral up. This is a rare thing and the gorillas are circling. I don't know how I would handle such a thing but it was bound to happen sooner or later with someones new scoot. I feel his frustration more than he does apparently as he's being pretty casual about it... better man than me :( Missouri folks are pretty easy going I guess, we just start shooting and ask questions later in Chicago.

I sincerely hope EasyRider has got this sorted and the OP can be the big winner here.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I sincerely hope EasyRider has got this sorted and the OP can be the big winner here.

Duh!! whats to sort out.. ?? Its the OP's choice to load up a 200 lb bike on the back of his pick up and then drive it 100 miles to a HONDA dealer or try something at home by snugging up a potentially loose bottom bolt. The fear of voiding warranty is preposterous. All he has to do is put a wrench and feel it to see if its torqued properly. Geeesh.. !! Just trying to save the guy a long trip and day of headache because the dealership will make it a big deal to make money out of it and replace the gasket and everything else. I personally would not want some gorilla ripping it apart if a loose bolt fixes it ??
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

............ WOT!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Up to 114 miles now and checked it again today and no leaks. Tires holding air OK. No sign of anything weird at the silencer. One black ant dared to tread across my gauge cover. . .for the last time! 8)

The only helmet I can get to fit under the sit properly is my old 3/4 HJC CL5 open face. The Shoei and new HJC Symax III full face helmets will need the helmet leash.

That being said, the next Full Moon should be around June 9th and I'm hoping it will be a warm and dry evening by then because I feel like taking the PCX for a good long night run somewhere and pig out on a really greasy Triple Cheeseburger, Dave's Deluxe, at Wendy's. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYhjHCOAyo

Makes me burp just thinkin about it . . . yum! :lol:
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hondamatic »

Ok, just to keep everyone up to speed, the dealer called back today and told me to bring it in on June 6 and be prepared to leave it for a day or so....2 trips now. Oh well if it fixes the problem I don't care. I am not super heated about the problem but I do want it fixed and I want to know what has failed either gasket or cracked housing or loose bolt. I could try what easyrider suggested but I don't know the bolt torque to apply. I have the torque wrench, either inch pounds or foot pounds and not afraid to use them. What I don't want to do is over tighten and possibly shear a bolt which might void my warranty! I will just live with the drip until such time the dealer can look into it.
Homie, we from Missouri are kinda laid back and don't get too excited, doesn't do much good to raise my blood pressure! As for taking time off from work, I am retired so the only work I will be getting out of is the "honey do list". If it takes a trip to the dealer, then so be it, I just would like this issue resolved.
Anyway, that is all I know for now, I do want to get this fixed and keep everyone updated. If anything new develops I will let everyone know.