PCX 150 Variator Nut and Clutch Outer Nut

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

PCX 150 Variator Nut and Clutch Outer Nut

Post by PCX150Rider »

My understanding is that the Variator Nut is a 22mm on the PCX 150. . .am I correct?

Also what is the size of the Clutch Outer Nut?

The bigger nut inside to disassemble the clutch itself is a 39mm or what? That you can do by holding the assembly carefully and using a large adjustable wrench bang the handle on the floor to loosen?

I've got to get an electric impact wrench/driver and wanted to pick up the correct additional sockets while I'm at it.

I already have the Motion Pro clutch holding tool.

BTW is it true that the stock variator on the PCX has the two holes in it for the holding tool?

I'll be getting a new PCX in about a month or so and wanted to make sure I have the additional tools for the basic maintenance. I've already got your basic metric wrench and socket sets and other stuff. I will be picking up some body panel clip removal tools.

I plan on keeping it stock for a while except for the addition of some panniers.

Got all the Homie how-to videos bookmarked. :geek:

Am I forgetting anything? o_O
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: PCX 150 Variator Nut and Clutch Outer Nut

Post by homie »

Did you find a service manual? I would not want you to work without an SM. There are things in it like (wet) torque's and exploded views so you get everything back together correctly.
Attachments
pcx2.jpg
pcx2.jpg (156.81 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:My understanding is that the Variator Nut is a 22mm on the PCX 150. . .am I correct? std 15/16th will work I think

I've got to get an electric impact wrench/driver and wanted to pick up the correct additional sockets while I'm at it. SM won't give nut sizes, at least I don't see them

BTW is it true that the stock variator on the PCX has the two holes in it for the holding tool? Yes

I will be picking up some body panel clip removal tools. Harbor Freight sells a simple 6 piece set
Yes, impact wrench is the way to go BUT don't use it to TIGHTEN anything o_O ... buy a torque wrench and study the SM please
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good you mentioned that! ;)

I planned on ordering the manual at point of purchase as part of the deal. . ..

Also was going to see what the salesperson had to say about soft luggage or if they had anything in stock they'd want to deal on. Otherwise I'll get it online. 8)

I've got one of those old Craftsman twist for the setting type torque wrenches. Kind of like fishing. . .you'll know you're at the proper torque when you feel the thing move/release.

It's most unfortunate that the SM doesn't provide the nut sizes. I can always wait and measure after I get it. I've got open ended and box wrenches in metric and sockets (but not necessarily in the sizes required to work with the impact wrench on the CVT).

It's good to know the stock variator has the two holes. I may play games with weights later on but want to get to the first valve adjustment at 4k miles before I do that. I'll change the fluids and clean the oil screen at 600 miles and give it the "once over". Not big on buying extended warranties. :geek:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It's been two weeks since I changed my clutch, but from memory it's 22mm on the variator nut, 17 or 19mm on the clutch bell nut, and 39mm on the clutch nut.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

BTW this member helped me realize how trim clips work when he did work on his sidestand switch. Trim clips were first introduced on 2015 LED PCX and pushing in the pins FIRST will make prying them out easier and cleaner.

Tip: Put a rag around your side stand BEFORE you pop the lower panel off to avoid nicking the paint on the panel. Note how aggressively it pops loose onto your (deployed) side stand. Take care and good luck on purchasing a new PCX soon 8)

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks for the info guys. . .. I'm starting to get psyched for the new ride. Could be a 2018 but may take the generous discount for the 2017 leftover. . .time will tell.

Today I did get a Craftsman 22mm socket with 1/2 inch drive at Ace. Not impact specific or serrated but I think it should work. The ones they had on the shelf skipped the 23mm size for some reason. So I threw the dice and just got the 22mm. Sounds like I should be good to go. . ..

The largest metric socket I had already is a 27mm from working on my motorcycles but the next one down from that was a 19mm. Nothing in between until now. Sounds like I'll be all set for the variator and outer clutch face nut. I think I've got a big enough Crescent Wrench to do the 39mm clutch nut but probably won't need to do anything there for a long time. I'm off the line with enthusiasm when I ride so my clutch doesn't get glazed from lazy starts.

I looked into the electric impact driver but they didn't have what I wanted in stock. The clerk recommended a DeWalt and I wanted the kind you plug in. . .not battery operated because I won't need to use it that much and don't want to futz with replacement batteries. As long as it lasts me until I croak that will work for me.

This one looks reasonable http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1311163

I know Harbor Freight has them for less than $50 but at the end of the day I like to use quality tools.
Last edited by PCX150Rider on Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

BTW this member helped me realize how trim clips work when he did work on his sidestand switch. Trim clips were first introduced on 2015 LED PCX and pushing in the pins FIRST will make prying them out easier and cleaner.

Tip: Put a rag around your side stand BEFORE you pop the lower panel off to avoid nicking the paint on the panel. Note how aggressively it pops loose onto your (deployed) side stand. Take care and good luck on purchasing a new PCX soon 8)
Never a shortage of rags at my Shanty. I'll make sure I keep them handy! 8)

My insurance renewal is paid up for next year already and ticks over the end of May so after that it's hunting season on PCXs. :lol:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You won't get that 39mm nut off with a wrench, it's only 2mm thick with rounded corners. It would just deform.
That 39mm nut is made of weak pig/pop steel with a dodgy thread. So use a quality 39mm 6-sided socket.
Add to that it has a huge amount of force behind it due to the contra spring, so you need to compress it first.
I put the drive face on the floor with my feet on each half of the clutch to stop it from shooting off at me face.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

You won't get that 39mm nut off with a wrench, it's only 2mm thick with rounded corners. It would just deform.
That 39mm nut is made of weak pig/pop steel with a dodgy thread. So use a quality 39mm 6-sided socket.
Add to that it has a huge amount of force behind it due to the contra spring, so you need to compress it first.
I put the drive face on the floor with my feet on each half of the clutch to stop it from shooting off at me face.
Words of wisdom indeed and that contra spring is very "here and now" when it's let lose. :o

I saw this video on YouTube for DIY efforts from Mitch's Scooter Stuff.

Mitch had a good one for removing/tightening the nut. . .he shows stuff in good detail on his videos. I guess you can use this method with some relative safety and a little finesse. This is more in tune with what I believe you are suggesting using the 39mm socket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQty3EYxFM :D

I've already got 2 big C Clamps and a workbench so I think I'll use your idea the way Mitch showed it. I'll pick up a 39mm socket next time I'm in the store. I can probably tap the socket wrench with a hammer to get it to loosen up and I've got a torque wrench for the reinstall. 8)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The clamps can be tricky, as you still somewhat need to compress the contra spring by hand first.
It's nothing for a chicaboo, a fish, or a PCXdemon to compress a contra spring by hand, but maybe not all. :P
You may want to pay attention to the condition of the 39mm nut on his clutch, too. They're almost single use quality... :roll:
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

homie wrote:BTW this member helped me realize how trim clips work when he did work on his sidestand switch. Trim clips were first introduced on 2015 LED PCX and pushing in the pins FIRST will make prying them out easier and cleaner.
]
The actual trim clips are readily available on the net. I bought a pack of 50 recently. Can't remember exactly how much, but not expensive.