Basic Tools Required for PCX 150 Maintenance

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Basic Tools Required for PCX 150 Maintenance

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .so from what I understand so far I should be equipped with an electric impact wrench (something like the cheapo $40 Harbor Freight one or better?). The stock variator doesn't have the two holes in it to place one of those Motion Pro Clutch Holding Tools right? So as Homie showed in a video a strap wrench will do to re-tighten the variator nut? What brand or type of strap wrench?

The NCY variator kit does have the two holes it seems so if I did get Motion Pro Clutch Holding Tool #08-0008 I should be able to use it for both nut removal and reinstallation on the Variator and Cultch . . . does that sound right?

Tool source: http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools ... lding-tool

I know I have a 22mm wrench but I'll have to check on my sockets. Those I can get at Ace I think. . .Craftsman brand. Will see.

Any advice n Plastic Body Removal Tools? Should I get the Honda ones or something like the ones you can get at Advanced Auto Parts will do?

Tool source:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/auto ... swod7EkC_A

I have a torque wrench and all the basic metric wrenches and sockets. I can use a 4mm wrench on the valve adjusting screws? I'll check but I think I can use a special tool I have from one of my motorcycles also. . .

Any other advice?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Basic Tools Required for PCX 150 Maintenance

Post by Mel46 »

I bought my plastic panels removal tools from Harbor Freight. They are cheap enough that you could even order them from amazon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... 6+Moulding
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Scoobscoot
Color: RED

Post by Scoobscoot »

The stock variator has the two holes, the NCY does not have holes(at least mine doesn't)

Use the impact wrench to take the nut off, then use the strap to hold the NCY variator to torque it back on to spec
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Any suggestions on a good brand or type of strap wrench? I was going to get one of those Motion Pro Holding tools if the variator had the two holes. When I do the first oil change I'll pull the CVT cover to have a look-see at the general condition and any dust accumulation.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I didn't have to use a strap wrench, so I guess you can consider it as an option. I do have a Motion Pro Holding tool though.
An oil change takes about 10 minutes.
Tools I would suggest that you have are: a good metric set of sockets, short and long, along with a good socket wrench. I also bought a good variable speed drill with various adapters. These make removing screws and bolts much quicker. Don't forget drill bits and screw driver bits.
Also the Motion Pro Holding tool and the larger socket...I think it is a 22mm. I have both 21mm and 22mm so I can't remember which it is.

Anything else you need you can get along the way, but I think these tools will get you by.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

So the consensus is the stock variators do come with the two holes to use a holding tool? If that's the case then I'll just get the Motion Pro tool. . .wouldn't need the strap wrench unless I got an aftermarket part. The clutch should be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to check to see if I've got a 22mm socket stashed somewhere and buy an electric (plug in type) impact wrench. The one I have now is the "old school" hit it with a hammer type. My torque wrench is ancient but they made them good in the old days. :lol:

I think I've got the other tools I'll need from working on the motorcycles. . .just need to know about the two holes in the stock variator being like that right from the factory.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don't believe that the stock variator has the two holes, but I didn't need anything else other than the Motion Pro Tool to remove the variator. Maddiedog showed me how, but I am not sure if he has a 'How-To' on its removal.

Found it!! http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2598
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I don't believe that the stock variator has the two holes, but I didn't need anything else other than the Motion Pro Tool to remove the variator.
The 2015 stock variator does have the support holes for the special tool. The torque on the nut is only mid 40's foot pounds so you can use a common good quality (large oil filter) belt strap type tool if you don't have the caliper type wench. You will need the belt strap to install the aftermarket faces anyway because they don't go to the trouble milling out support holes... keeping the cost of their variators down.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks guys.

I'll probably just go ahead and order the variator/clutch holding tool and some other stuff that I don't really need just to get the free shipping. I could always use something with Honda or Kawasaki written on it though. :lol:

As an added note I found a miserly way to wash my motorcycles and soon to be PCX yesterday using a manual pump pressure sprayer to get the crap off my new Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 tires I just had mounted for my KLR 650. I inherited it from my Dad and never thought to use it until now. We've been having serious drought conditions in our part of the country and the "conserve water" message has been passed around since last year.
ChapinSpayer.JPG
ChapinSpayer.JPG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Instead of getting out 50 feet of hose and going through that ritual I can just dump a gallon or two of water into the sprayer from and empty plastic jug, pump until pressure is enough, and I'm good to go. The nice thing is that you can adjust the nozzle from jet to spray and since it's light pressure you can work around the gauges and areas of the bike that you needed to be careful of before using the hose water off the house. It may not seem like much but I couldn't believe how far one gallon would go. But I'd recommend two gallons on an initial fill if you have one that will hold that much. Also, you have to be careful not to hold your face near the top of the sprayer when you go to relieve the pressure when you are done. . .twist slowly. . .allow the hiss. . .and keep your head to the side in case it goes rocket on you. Oh. . .the other thing is that since you still use a separate soap bucket you can mix hot and cold water as needed when you fill it up depending on whether it's warm or cold outside. Since there won't be a huge puddle at the end of the driveway passers by won't think you are draining the lake. :o
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

That is an excellent idea! I have often wondered how I could wash the tire areas without having to drag out the hose and end up getting the rest of the bike wet anyway. Most of my rides are on streets, so only the tire areas end up dirty. Thanks for the tip.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

My Motion Pro Clutch Holding Tool arrived today. It was like a pair of sideways vice-grips on steroids. . .hefty too. Seems well made. :D