Mpg question/ idle question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mike888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Gray pcx150

Mpg question/ idle question

Post by Mike888 »

Hi, I am currently on my third fill up on my new pcx and was wondering if it is normal to be getting 78.9mpg currently. I also wanted to know what might be the issue that when I start it up, very rarely it seems the idle is very low and wants to die but doesn't. When I add some gas to it, there is a gas smell from muffler and it goes back to normal. Thanks for your help mike
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Mpg question/ idle question

Post by DanFromVegas »

The expression "your mileage may vary" really applies. If you can keep your speeds down and reduce your starts and stops, you will get better mileage. Also, until the motor is broken in your mileage will be lower than normal. Finally, when reading mileage claims from other posters, remember that the UK uses a magical 5 quart gallon or some such nonsense. It helps to know where the person is located.

As for the gas smell, modern fuel systems are not allowed to vent to the atmosphere. The excess fuel/fumes are collected in a canister and routed into the engine on startup. I haven't checked what system the PCX uses but this could be what you are experiencing.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Mpg question/ idle question

Post by Gil »

I'm averaging 75 mpg, but I do mostly 60 mph+ roads and have to deal with heavy wind. If you do more of the 45mph roads then you might match the claimed MPG. It's still good non the less. As for your engine troubles, do you have any more info on your bike? After riding my scoot i get this hot exhaust smell from the rear muffler, it's a particular smell unlike fuel vapor. Now where in California are you located?

gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.