Tapping noise coming from bottom end of engine

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: Tapping noise coming from bottom end of engine

Post by aguim »

Dragon,

I'm not 100% sure your tensioner should 'stay in- position' after winding it's spring up. I'd rather think
it should immediately un-wind. I have a little jamming 'insert' here, that I use to keep them in-
position while I reinstall them, lest they quickly expand...

Just to make sure about that tensioner, remove its cap bolt and use a small screwdriver to
'stabilize' it while the engine is idling. A frantically shaking screwdriver will automatically
indicate a faulty tensioner (twist it clockwise a bit, and the chain noise will go off).

Flashy metalic particles in the oil would rather point to a failed rod bearing, though...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

aguim wrote:I'm not 100% sure your tensioner should 'stay in- position' after winding it's spring up. I'd rather think
it should immediately un-wind. I have a little jamming 'insert' here, that I use to keep them in-
position while I reinstall them, lest they quickly expand...
This is absolutely true.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

Two tensioners I've ever dealt with on pcx both stayed locked in up position but even a very jentle tap on them would unwind them straight away so it's not like they are staying in out position constantly.
I was thinking rod bearing too but top and bottom of the rod has only holes to get oil in and create oil film. I didn't separate big end yet but had a good look with torch and couldn't see any bearings there.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Uhh. If cylinder and piston were marked have you checked the connecting rod? i had to replace all 3 when my pcx V1 got noisier and developed a shudder at idle. The mech showed me the marked piston and cylinder. I was given no explanation for this, apart that i had fallen once a year before and that when bike is lying on the side with the engine running the oil pump could be starved of oil. The whole thing lasted for less than a minute though to pick up bike again so i am not 100% sure that was the reason.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

But this bike was never on its side with engine running, never starved on oil and the marks on the cylinder and piston are minor. Connecting rod is fine, it spins freely, doesn't get stuck and pin sits nicely inside piston between those to circlips.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Check the tensioner dynamic, not static ,operation. Very easy as shown above.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

aguim wrote:Check the tensioner dynamic, not static ,operation. Very easy as shown above.
+1
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

My vote = Exhaust noise .
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

Ok I went to Chiswick Honda main dealer to get #18 and #19 bearings so I can get spare clutch set ready for when my one goes. This is where we've bought two brand new pcxs from and there's quite few Polish mechanics. Spoke to one of them who looked at my video and suggested it is big end crank rod problem. I so want to strip this bloody engine again now and get to bottom of this annoying issue.
BTW it's not the exhaust. Trust me it ain't
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well I am not a mechanic but I play one on TV, so..... :-) I just had to say that.

When we had our accident both bikes lay running on their sides until I could make my way over to turn them off. They seem to run fine now. I don't hear any extraneous engine noises and they definitely still have lots of pep.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

Dragon_uk wrote:Ok I went to Chiswick Honda main dealer to get #18 and #19 bearings so I can get spare clutch set ready for when my one goes. This is where we've bought two brand new pcxs from and there's quite few Polish mechanics. Spoke to one of them who looked at my video and suggested it is big end crank rod problem. I so want to strip this bloody engine again now and get to bottom of this annoying issue.
BTW it's not the exhaust. Trust me it ain't
Yuminashi sells con rod for pcx. Honda only sells whole set with crank shaft so have a look on yuminashi website if you have to change it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

You could get a second hand engine complete off fleabay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182354816835

Might be less hassle.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

I have purchased another engine with only 6k miles and bike is onthe road again. I've also purchased another engine (don't ask why. My mistake, got mk1 engine, top fitting, doesn't fit any of my scooters) stripped it completely so can play now, this is why I'm trying to repair the other one. And I will! I won't give up untill the engine is running again.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

Ok guys finally got bit of free time and this weekend will swap engines again. Fingers crossed it will run fine this time.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

So engine went back in and it doesn't have that tapping noise anymore so it was crankshaft then.
On the other hand it run for about half a minute and then stoped, started again and run for about 15sec. Starting it was getting harder and harder. Wouldn't go on higher revs what so ever. Every now and then comes with flashing EML and it shows code 52. Towards the end it would only turn over once.
Checked valves posision and it all looks fine to me.

Link to video of it not starting
https://youtu.be/d_5ZoEWmGG4

Any ideas?