2 mechanics, 2 opinions... what do you guys think?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 2 mechanics, 2 opinions... what do you guys think?

Post by TheMaverick »

Has the radiator been checked?
megb
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by megb »

TheMaverick wrote:Has the radiator been checked?
Checked for...? :|

Mech2 did make some side-comment the last time about "otherwise maybe we must get a new radiator on there". And also another something about "if we find the piston is cracked" when replacing the head.

...which is all why I'm worried about the expense of committing to the head gasket job, only to find it still doesn't solve the problem! :(
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

megb wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Has the radiator been checked?
Checked for...? :|

Mech2 did make some side-comment the last time about "otherwise maybe we must get a new radiator on there". And also another something about "if we find the piston is cracked" when replacing the head.

...which is all why I'm worried about the expense of committing to the head gasket job, only to find it still doesn't solve the problem! :(
Just wondering if we're missing the elephant in the room. Could the faulty hose have resulted in a blocked radiator or a failed water pump?
megb

Post by megb »

TheMaverick wrote:
Just wondering if we're missing the elephant in the room. Could the faulty hose have resulted in a blocked radiator or a failed water pump?
I think Mech2 did do that then. He had mentioned before that he's flushed the system a few times, run hoses through, somehow checked that the water is flowing, etc etc. (Can't remember exactly what terms/phrases he used to describe what he did, but I think it matches up to what you're describing re checking that there is a flow of liquid happening)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I think Mech2 did do that then. He had mentioned before that he's flushed the system a few times, run hoses through, somehow checked that the water is flowing, etc etc. (Can't remember exactly what terms/phrases he used to describe what he did, but I think it matches up to what you're describing re checking that there is a flow of liquid happening)
Then I agree with you-you's last post. If coolant is verified as flowing when the systems hot and coolant isn't leaking anywhere, then next suspect a head gasket problem. Also, stop using cheap coolant now; they usually are for automotive use and have abrasive silicates ..... scooter & MC coolant pumps have different types of gaskets which cannot tolerate them.

If you don't want to go down this path, you can always sell the scoot, while advising buyers of the unresolved issue.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote: Then I agree with you-you's last post.

Wot :D. A first :lol:

I think its at least time to pull the plastics and have a good look around. Then whip off the head.

Might as well. Continuing to ride it is a waste of time as a minimum, harmful at worst.
megb

Post by megb »

Thanks for the input, folks! Really appreciate it. I've told Mech2 I want to go ahead with the gasket replacement (though requesting that I only pay him for labour once we've confirmed it works, considering how much I've spent with him on it already!)

Selling the bike has been a consideration. However Honda no longer sells PCXs here (South Africa), and because of the higher price point, I'd find it difficult to replace second-hand too. I really enjoy the ride though and would be so sad to part with it :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

megb wrote:Selling the bike has been a consideration. However Honda no longer sells PCXs here (South Africa)(
o_O wow! Honda pulled PCX out of South Africa. How do we find out why?
megb

Post by megb »

homie wrote: o_O wow! Honda pulled PCX out of South Africa. How do we find out why?
Not 100% sure, but I heard rumours that it was just too expensive for the market (which is largely dominated by the cheap Chinese junk as far as scooters go). They still import the Elite 125, but not the PCX. :cry:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

South Africa? Whoa...welcome megb :P I'm glad to read that some of our gifted mechanic's were able to help you. Cheers to that!

Would you help us now? We ask that you please complete your profile by adding your location. We will then "see it" to the left under your forum name. That added bit of info will help us to help you now and in the future. To get that done, just follow my easy directions below.
Thank you and Ride Safely ~Always~
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
megb

Post by megb »

WhiteNoise wrote:South Africa? Whoa...welcome megb :P I'm glad to read that some of our gifted mechanic's were able to help you. Cheers to that!

Would you help us now? We ask that you please complete your profile by adding your location. We will then "see it" to the left under your forum name. That added bit of info will help us to help you now and in the future. To get that done, just follow my easy directions below.
Thank you and Ride Safely ~Always~
For sure, done! :) Didn't even realise I hadn't put that in...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Don't be afraid of the machining of the head, as the work is done by a machine shop. The only draw back might be that the machine shop will have to make new mounting tools for the head, in order to work on it with their machinery. It does sound more and more like a blown head gasket. Because of the overheating, there might be some cracks on the head or cylinder, which would mean a replacement would be in order of that part.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
megb

Post by megb »

All those potential extras are what scare me! Most parts need to be ordered ex Japan, and so are expensive and take 3 weeks to arrive :/

A thought: a friend is going to be in the US soon... any suggestions for good, well-priced spares places that I could order the parts from and have delivered to her while there's there?

And (eek, sorry!) an indication of which parts I would need?

Exchange rate is against me, but maybe it's still cheaper...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

megb wrote:All those potential extras are what scare me! Most parts need to be ordered ex Japan, and so are expensive and take 3 weeks to arrive :/

A thought: a friend is going to be in the US soon... any suggestions for good, well-priced spares places that I could order the parts from and have delivered to her while there's there?

And (eek, sorry!) an indication of which parts I would need?

Exchange rate is against me, but maybe it's still cheaper...
Don't say her and US in one sentence. You'll have a testosterone pumped Homie all over it/her. :lol: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

It's only wednesday youyou and you stopped by the pub again... Oh I can tell :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:It's only wednesday youyou and you stopped by the pub again... Oh I can tell :)
I wish. Slipped disc :cry:
megb

Post by megb »

Hahaha well, she is just one of your very own Americans going home for a brief trip. So I'm sure she knows how to handle your brand of testosterone-filled men. (How well she's doing with our own brand over here.... that's another question!)

In more useful thoughts... ;P Any suggestions of a reliable online store that I could look at to order the parts to send back with her?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

megb wrote:Hahaha well, she is just one of your very own Americans going home for a brief trip. So I'm sure she knows how to handle your brand of testosterone-filled men. (How well she's doing with our own brand over here.... that's another question!)

In more useful thoughts... ;P Any suggestions of a reliable online store that I could look at to order the parts to send back with her?

www.horneyhomie.com :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:It's only wednesday youyou and you stopped by the pub again... Oh I can tell :)
I wish. Slipped disc :cry:

Five days of ibuprofen and aspirin. The dream of the pub on a Friday night lives.

It LIVES!!!

And it's prosecco night :D