locked key

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

s492m
Year: 2010
Color: black

locked key

Post by s492m »

Hey All,

this is silly one - unfortunately I only have one key (bought used) for my 2010 PCX 125 and i managed to lock my key under the seat and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of if there is a way to get it open before i resort to taking it to the garage to have it opened.

thanks
Tipover
Year: 2011
Color: Candy red

Re: locked key

Post by Tipover »

Someone else did this recently and said they ripped their seat off. Another person said you could pry the seat up slightly and fish out the key with something, coat hanger maybe?

Good luck.
Welcome to the forum!
s492m
Year: 2010
Color: black

Post by s492m »

Tipover wrote:Someone else did this recently and said they ripped their seat off. Another person said you could pry the seat up slightly and fish out the key with something, coat hanger maybe?

Good luck.
Welcome to the forum!
thanks - i'm trying not to rip up the seat for obvious reasons lol..... i tried pushing a flathead screwdriver into the catch but not much happened there so was wondering if there are any tricks i can use without resorting to breaking it completely....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

s492m wrote:
Tipover wrote:Someone else did this recently and said they ripped their seat off. Another person said you could pry the seat up slightly and fish out the key with something, coat hanger maybe?

Good luck.
Welcome to the forum!
thanks - i'm trying not to rip up the seat for obvious reasons lol..... i tried pushing a flathead screwdriver into the catch but not much happened there so was wondering if there are any tricks i can use without resorting to breaking it completely....

Sorry, non that I know of
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Is there any way that you can slip a magnet attached to a string in there, or possibly one at the end of a flexible coil spring type rod? There are tools like that available quite inexpensively.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The first question should be do you know exactly where they are under the seat, because if you don't then you will be fishing under there all day trying to find it. Second, is there anything attached to it that can be grabbed to make capturing it easier?
With a little luck and the help of a friend you might be able to fit one of those spring type grab tools used to pick up nuts and bolts dropped down in the engine area, or even that magnet on a long arm while someone holds the light for you. You would have to try to wedge a large screwdriver between the seat and base to give you room to fish around, though. Hopefully you won't break anything doing this....and next time, make a copy of the key. You aren't the only one who has done this, so you need to find out how to get a second key made.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

I locked mine in ended up ripping mine off to get in as I had no tools with me! If you have access to a pair of kitchen tongs you should be able to get em out without damage
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

hi everyone still need to get my seat fixed from when I had to break into it, anybody have a clue what parts I need to order?
Attachments
IMG_0329 (1).JPG
IMG_0329 (1).JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You need a whole new luggage box: https://bikerzbits.com/storage-box-hond ... n-711.html
There are 3 types: original V1 non-eSP, V2 eSP, and the V3 LED. I think you're the V2 eSP?
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

Thanks Chickaboo I was expecting a fortune for the whole tray!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

It's really not funny but with all the stuff we can mod, fix and tweak every time someone does this we still have no good answer or back door into the luggage box. I feel like Dr McCoy in startrek... "barbarians"
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not familiar with this bike , but my first inclination would be to go underneath the scooter and see if I could find the latch cable. If located then I would cut about 1/2 inch off the sheathing and use a needle nose to pull the steel inner cable.Then again not being familiar It might be feasible to remove side panel or the plastic around the ignition and then cut and pull the cable. Only need a short pull to unlatch it.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Good luck trying to get a new key blank. You will have better luck trying to see the Pope in person.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Remove 3-4 plastics in the handlebar area and the latch/ignition sw. cables +levers should become
visible (and movable). True of my Forza, if I remember well (as I took the front apart to lube the
steering).

The better idea is to add a hidden little cable to the latch lever (okay, next time...)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Wouldn't a 2010 be a non-eSP? As I understand it about the PCX, it was first produced as a 2011, back in 2010. The way to tell if it is an eSP or not is to look on the side of the (I think) air cleaner cover, on the left above the silver belt/variator cover. If it does not say eSP, it isn't.
By the way, where are you located? You don't show it in your profile. If you were in the United States you could send for the luggage box for around $25. Also, just a thought, but you might be able to use something like an epoxy glue to reassemble the broken pieces on your present luggage box. It would have to be a very good glue, and you might even put a piece of metal as a backing to re-enforce it. Take the parts off of the seat hinge that need to be reattached first. The hinge itself can remain on the seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

I definitely would've tried prying THE SIDE of the seat with some sort of wedge and then stuck a coat hanger with magnet on the end to recover the keys.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Can a Honda Dealer order an extra set of keys or get duplicates made? The hex and key combo does make it unique for the security cover and ignition/gas/seat operation. Just wondered. If nobody knows I'll ask the next time I visit the dealership.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

PCX150Rider wrote:Can a Honda Dealer order an extra set of keys or get duplicates made? The hex and key combo does make it unique for the security cover and ignition/gas/seat operation. Just wondered. If nobody knows I'll ask the next time I visit the dealership.
Good luck on that. If I ever lose the one and only key I have I will get a whole new ignition with two new keys. :x
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You can get blanks and see your local smith. I did this already only to find the guy had them hanging on the wall :lol: There is no security in the homeland

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-ignition- ... SwdGFYuWB3
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Duly noted and bookmarked. They cost a few quid in the UK but can be shipped abroad. . ..

If I get any additional info from the Honda dealer that is useful I'll post it. 8)

Knock on wood I've never stranded myself due to a misplaced or lost key but I have had some fun trying to ride a bike home with a broken clutch cable a few times. . .it's all about the rolling start. :lol: