Instrument panel lights not working

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

cocteau2x
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Instrument panel lights not working

Post by cocteau2x »

Most of the lights on my instrument panel are not working.
The only ones that are working are the gas gage light and the red speedometer line.
Is this a fuse issue?

Thanks for the help
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Instrument panel lights not working

Post by easyrider »

Good idea to check all fuses and connectors( plugs)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

You should be able to get to the connector plugs just behind the windscreen.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Wingone
Color: Red

Post by Wingone »

If I understand correctly, I have exactly this issue as of a few days ago (bought my scooter new in 2012). Actually, most of the lights work except for the speedometer backlight (scale and blue ring). When you look at my instrument cluster at night, all you see is the red speedometer pointer and fuel level/mileage indicator light. The turn signal indicators work. It's not a huge inconvenience. I'm starting to learn what needle angles correspond to which speed, but it's annoying. Would appreciate any word if somebody knows what the problem is. Thanks!
Perce2
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by Perce2 »

Hi guy's.....my bike has just developed the same problem, also a 2012 model. Started with the speedo backlight going, now the fuel guage backlight went last night!
Has anyone managed to fix this without having to replace the whole speedo module ?
Any photo's or part numbers of the backlight bulbs would be useful, so I can get the parts in stock before dismantling.
Thanks in advance...
Brio
Year: 2014
Color: White with Trim

Post by Brio »

I had a similar problem....but have a Mechanic who tinkers. There are 3 back light LEDS in the PCX 150 2013 Model in Thailand. I am not sure why they would fail, but anyway, they are soldered to the motherboard inside the Speedo Module. Honda wanted to replace the whole unit, about 5000Bt here....or $400. So I go to the tinkerer, and he straight away says LEDs and he can fix.

Trouble with him he stops work on your machine to work on others that just rock up....so took a while. He removed the Speedo Unit, took off the cover, removed the Speed Pointer and the faceplate, and got access to the LEDs. He had a second hand one from somewhere, and unsoldered the ones from his "xmas tree" spare and soldered them in my one. Took a little while to get the pointer on correctly, but back together and now works fine. If he had done a straight run at it, maybe an hours work, but I was there for 3 hours. Cost, 600Bt, about $20.

I did take a few photos from memory, so I will try and track them down and post.

It also occured to me that any LED may be soldered in, as long as polarity is right and colour is right. LEDs run on a few volts, so I guess it is standard.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The LED fascia unit costs about $146 + shipping (around $12 to the UK) so way over price with a quote of $400!
Nemesis
Year: 2012

Post by Nemesis »

For some reason there is a HUGE difference between speedometer for pre LED model 2013 (around 146 USD on Partzilla) and for LED Modell PCX (price around 400 USD for the whole assembly).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Nemesis wrote:For some reason there is a HUGE difference between speedometer for pre LED model 2013 (around 146 USD on Partzilla) and for LED Modell PCX (price around 400 USD for the whole assembly).
Methinks Honda fleecing people for the new bikes, with left over stocks of the old one at lower price. You can get the dash assembly minus the plastic surrounds for $300 but still a lot for what is basically a cheap item to produce - small pcb, leds, plastic.
DushFernando92
Color: Pearl White

Post by DushFernando92 »

I am just reviving the old post since I don't want to ask the same question over again.. I hope you wouldn't mind.. My PCX 125 dashboard "Blue LED" over the speed digits also doesn't work, so I would like to know which type of LED you guys have used if still remember :') Will T4.7 SMD (Surface Mount Device) work on this? or I have to buy one with pins? or any LED works with 12V will do the trick? Thank you :)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Im hundred percent sure the LEDs on the speedo are surface mounted, not through hole.
Never measured voltage on them, but I'm pretty sure they don't get 12V across their terminals.
DushFernando92
Color: Pearl White

Post by DushFernando92 »

Oyabun wrote:Im hundred percent sure the LEDs on the speedo are surface mounted, not through hole.
Never measured voltage on them, but I'm pretty sure they don't get 12V across their terminals.
Hmm thanks, however beside the voltage, do you know any specific size? Or name for them? There are few sizes for speedo meters..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Brio wrote:There are 3 back light LEDS in the PCX 150 2013 Model in Thailand. I am not sure why they would fail
Vibration/impact shock.
LEDs in vehicles can and do fail.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong