Handlebar bolts cover removal

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Handlebar bolts cover removal

Post by raito »

I am in the process of deciding which RAM Mounts components to get, and for the base I kinda like the handlebar clamp base. But first I'd like to know how to remove the bolt cover the proper way without damaging anything.
DSC_0257.JPG
DSC_0257.JPG (194.67 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
ImageImageImage
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Handlebar bolts cover removal

Post by iceman »

Myself and others asked this - someone said you could place sticky tape over them and pull them off - not sure how you would remove the cat, that can be even more tricky :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yes, get the very stickiest duct tape or buy a small roll of gorilla tape. Work the tape over each cosmetic cap getting into the outer edges with your finger nail as deep as possible... rip off. Then be prepared for some of the tightest hex drive bolts on the PCX. Use a top quality drive and extended leverage (impact wrench) perhaps to loosen. I did this to push up the bars for a more comfortable riding position and the caps are a snap but the bolts are a BEAR!

Nice little Russian grey 8)
raito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by raito »

Nice, I will try that.

One more thing, the description on Ram mount says "Have an M8 by 25, 30, or 35mm handlebar bolt?". Is it safe to assume the ones in my PCX are M8 bolts in one of those lengths?
ImageImageImage
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

They are a pia to get off, I used a jewelers flat screwdriver to pry off easily.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

raito wrote:Nice, I will try that.

One more thing, the description on Ram mount says "Have an M8 by 25, 30, or 35mm handlebar bolt?". Is it safe to assume the ones in my PCX are M8 bolts in one of those lengths?
My SM does not mention handle bar removal, fastener sizes or torque values for the 4 bolts. The instruction above was trial and error. I think people destroyed the caps before asking for assistance or using tape. Good use of this forum to ask.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi raito
Yes, use pieces of sticky tape and apply as mentioned. But first fold a corner down on each piece so you can use it to pull each cap off. A quick pull at that ;)

Once you've exposed the for bar bolts try using this set-up. It worked easy peasy for me.
I used a 6mm hex drive head and ratchet. "Before" you're ready to set those bolts back in, apply a dab of loctite to their threads. Good luck! :P

Sorry the pics are so big
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (172.14 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I like that socket set. It's shiny.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
raito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by raito »

That was easy. I first tried using cheap ordinary tape (not sticky enough), and then tried to pry using bicycle tyre lever (not thin enough). So before trying to find a stickier tape, had to try prying with a sharper object: cutter knife.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (161 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
No luck with bolt though. Only had my bicycle multi-tools with me, that would just break apart if I turned strong enough. Anyways, good news is that it seems we have M8 bolts if I got my info right..
6mm hex size means M8
6mm hex size means M8
Socket-screw-cap-head-allen-bolts-dimensions-fasteners-metric-4.jpg (172.25 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
ImageImageImage
raito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by raito »

WhiteNoise wrote:"Before" you're ready to set those bolts back in, apply a dab of loctite to their threads. Good luck! :P
Not sure if I can find this loctite here.. What problems would I get if I don't loctite? You got nice clean tools set!
ImageImageImage
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

You don't face any problems if you don't use the Loctite, it's a good idea, but just check them every couple months to see that they're tight .
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Be care full with that loctite stuff it can cause more problems than it is worth
I don't think those bolts-four of them are going to fall out
if you want to dink around with your handlebars leave the caps out -anti-seize the four bolts
and give them a twist if you think they need it
I looked into those ram mounts and gave upon the idea
I think you will end up with with problems with your cables being too short
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Is it time for the video of cap removal again? Don't peal it, pull straight up :D I don't know where you will get shiny new caps if you pry this out people. The tape works every time if its tacky enough. I did not use lock tight and the bars have not moved since they were moved up. Merciless next time with lock tight. Since the failure of under tightening would be a slight movement in your handle bars I think that's easily corrected without thread lockers.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Help's here with buying Shiny caps :P
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch909772

Honda fixes the bolts tight.
Use some Blaster PB. Carefully spray a bit around the bolts. Watch Out for overspray! Cover The surrounding area. Let liquid sit around them for awhile. I sprayed at night and they were Easily removed by morning.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Love all Me Tools! Nice day, Clean work area, clean tools (some new) and a phone to call for help :D (well....ya never know!) And a few swigs H2O
Oh...and bug spray! Those skeeter's are a biatch!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (280.19 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I would not use any fastener glue . Manufactuers like to use it do avoid liability when assembling critical components. Not really necessary on re assembling but many like the security. Heat is utilized to break the bond if overly tight.Use a heat gun (be careful) then loosen.. Should help.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Help's here with buying Shiny caps :P
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch909772
Good work WN, you are like the parts manager or a supply Sargent. Ye can pry away now :lol: go get some new ones. 10.00 plus shipping :o o_O :roll: that's not how precious and I roll :lol:

It is the perfect Indian summer Chicago day! Already put 40 miles this morning and now a sponge bath, wax and Chief says "all day should be Indian day"
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:It is the perfect Indian summer Chicago day! Already put 40 miles this morning and now a sponge bath, wax and Chief says "all day should be Indian day"
Same for the bike I hope..?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:It is the perfect Indian summer Chicago day! Already put 40 miles this morning and now a sponge bath, wax and Chief says "all day should be Indian day"
Same for the bike I hope..?
Very funny youyou, Hey I'm about to retire the crash list with the next off. That's 50 accidents too many and i'm sure the victims will second that motion but before we wipe the history how about a poll 8) How many crashes were incurred on joy rides verses business?
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Once again, a great post that can really help people. This is not covered in service manuals! Cheers all!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r