smell of burning rubber

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

chet
Year: 2013
Color: red

smell of burning rubber

Post by chet »

i have my 2013 PCX for about 3 weeks now, put almost 400miles on it, had 820 when i bought it, i noticed mainly on some hills the smell of the belt burning or slipping, is this common, if not where do i start looking into solving this issue, no problems on level roads,

Chet
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: smell of burning rubber

Post by homie »

just road up and down a hill several times and did not smell any rubber... so no, not common

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kP8GgdnzD4
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Were you holding the front brake and the throttle at the same time, thus spinning the rear tire? That's a sure way to get a burned rubber smell. :D

Your belt is still new. There might be a bit of smell as the belt breaks in and any imperfections on the edges burn away. I had a bit of that after installing a new belt on my old scoot and a touch when my PCX was brand new, but it should be just a whiff, not too pungent. I'd suggest popping off the CVT cover and looking at the belt to make sure it's not wearing unevenly...If you're not sure what to look for, have a mechanic or the dealer look at it.

The few times I have gotten a strong scent of burning rubber or other burning smells, there's usually a big dumptruck in front of me. :D
There's a lot of those around here (I live a quarter mile from a stone quarry).
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

chet wrote:i have my 2013 PCX for about 3 weeks now, put almost 400miles on it, had 820 when i bought it, i noticed mainly on some hills the smell of the belt burning or slipping, is this common, if not where do i start looking into solving this issue, no problems on level roads,

Chet
As its a new bike there's going to be smells.
Nothing to worry about, all perfectly normal.
Ride and enjoy.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
douce
Color: red/white

Post by douce »

I have a 2013 PCX150 with 800km
on it.
I have the same problem, smell of burning rubber.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Seemingly the most logical thinking would be the belt wearing /slipping causing some friction and burning of the rubber... However after 1200 miles or so I would think that the belt has worn in by now. I would also check the muffler area underneath and around to see if anything rubberish is melting or may have gotten stuck to the muffler like a bag or something. Also the previous owner may have spruced it up by adding some paint to the muffler , .. The paint burning off could be odorous.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Make sure the brake adjustment for the rear wheel is not too tight. See if the rear hub seems hot or smells. Your lever or cable may be binding at some point. . ..

The point about checking the muffler from Easy Rider is valid too. It's happened to me more than once. . .a plastic bag gets drawn up underneath from road debris and sticks/melts on contact with the pipe.

The other comments above are related to the CVT belt break in period. Since I'm still on cue to buy my new PCX I can only say that my 49cc scooter never gave me any trouble with belt break-in smells. . .but that's just me.

One other thought is to look to see if any oil may have gotten spilled anywhere. . .especially if it's been changed recently or something wasn't tightened properly.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Maybe your grand child put a GI joe in the tail pipe... WHAT! could happen