PCX 125 oil

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: PCX 125 oil

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Got that from google :) - but other sites suggested less of a temp range but 10w30 is still good for most climates. 10w4

0 through 5w40 is starting to get to thin or thick for most climates - heck 10w30 covers at least -20 - +38 C!. Any good oil will do as most of the discussion on oil for the pcx is worrying about nothing - you do not need Moly (Honda even removed that from some of their oils), you do not need MB rated oil (Honda stick that nonsense in in relation to dry clutch CVT) and although fully synth is better any good semi-synth will work just as well - the bike will be just fine (just do not use 2 stroke oil, ever as it leaves deposits as part of it's spec). If people have trouble it's because they bought a no brand $5 piece of crap from a side street or dodgy Ebay dealer :)
Almost all well known modern brands have additives for the right reasons, oil that lasts and works well in modern engines and there are loads of cheap fully synth 4 stroke oils around - in the UK such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 10w30 or 10w40, Motul, Silkolene, etc, etc.

Exactly there are plenty of other things to angst about inthe world if thats your nature
Bidlack78
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Bidlack78 »

I'm running mobil 1 full synthetic 10w 30.
Cavallo

Post by Cavallo »

I use eni i ride scooter 10w40 semi synt on my forza 300. My country gets hot in summer. Around 40 degrees centigrade and in the winter around 10 degrees centigrade during night.
TaNeRiMu
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by TaNeRiMu »

Hey people first post:)
I got a 2015 PCX 125cc and done the first oil change on my own on 1100k.m. with oil drain and filter clean. I put Motul 3000 10w30 but now I got confused should I stick with mineral based 10w30 (i.e. Motul 3000 or next oil should be Motul 5100 10w30 semi-synthetic oil). And also bike came with shitty IRC tyres so I bought Michelin City Grip set for it to get changed, dealer going to change the tyres for me, after tyre change does bike needs balancing or there is no such a thing? Thanks for help in advance.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

You can use oil spec SG or higher (API Classification) SAE 10w30 JASO MB

The semi synthetic it's better than straight mineral oil so I'd use that. I think everybody and their dog has got an opinion on what oil to use but as long it's the spec recommended in the owners manual and of a reasonable quality you can't really go wrong.

The wheels aren't balanced from new, they don't really go fast enough to to really need it so probably wouldn't bother
TaNeRiMu

Post by TaNeRiMu »

Thanks for the answer so my next oil going to be motul 5100 then, another question in the hand book it recommends next oil change would be in 4000 k.m. what is the interval for oil change?
Thanks for help in advance
lightpower
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by lightpower »

I was given 10w50 by Yamaha at 600 miles (Yamaha dealer is closer to my location than Honda)
My engine is still alive (over 2K now) - I hope it will not blow up :)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

I'm sure it'll be fine. As long as it's a reasonable quality oil. Just get the recommended grade next change.
If your really worried about it replace it yourself, it's easy and the price of the oil. There's a how to on the forum.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=5346
roskota
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by roskota »

I´m not a professional, but general think is: Use 10w30 (in our country Honda service use Castrol formula 1, but doesn’t matter), (best choice and recommendation from Honda)
Or 10w 40 (it is approved by Honda as well, but it is not synthetically oil)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cavallo wrote:I use eni i ride scooter 10w40 semi synt on my forza 300. My country gets hot in summer. Around 40 degrees centigrade and in the winter around 10 degrees centigrade during night.
And your country is? Pop it in the location?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

As a matter of interest, I have just had my dealer do a 12,000km service on my PCX and as usual, when I got home I drained 40ml of oil and added Liqui Moly. The oil I drained off was BLACK and appeared to be identical in colour to the moly. The service sheet says they used GN4 10x30 Genuine Honda Oil and I have no reason to doubt them, but previous oil changes were not the same colour. :o :o

The first thing I noticed when I picked the bike up was it ran really smooth and quick. I'm happy using dealer service, apart from the brain surgeon charges for mechanics. My Honda Jazz service charges are almost the same cost as the bike, but I was particularly pleased when the bike felt so much smoother after the service.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hope it keeps running that good for a long time! I know what you mean though about having some trepidation when bringing your machine to a dealer mechanic. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JohnL wrote:The oil I drained off was BLACK
Which might suggest that they didn't actually change the oil.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The first thing I noticed when I picked the bike up was it ran really smooth and quick. I'm happy using dealer service, apart from the brain surgeon charges for mechanics. My Honda Jazz service charges are almost the same cost as the bike, but I was particularly pleased when the bike felt so much smoother after the service.[/quote]

Try doing it yourself and save the surgeon fees.. I bet it will run just as smooth and fast..
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

easyrider wrote:Try doing it yourself and save the surgeon fees.. I bet it will run just as smooth and fast..
My only excuses are arthritic hands, lower back problems, titanium knee, dodgy shoulders. :) :)

It's tough enough draining the oil and replacing with moly. I usually wait for my able bodied son to visit to do any mechanical work.

It's a bugger getting old but much better than the alternative. Riding the PCX helps make it worthwhile :D :D :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
JohnL wrote:The oil I drained off was BLACK
Which might suggest that they didn't actually change the oil.

Suggest? :D
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

JohnL wrote:It's tough enough draining the oil and replacing with moly. I usually wait for my able bodied son to visit to do any mechanical work.
You'll have to invite him around more often :)
It's a bugger getting old but much better than the alternative. Riding the PCX helps make it worthwhile :D :D :D
My Mum (since departed) used to say "It's horrible getting old - nothing works like it used to and all your friends start dying". It's hard to argue with that, unfortunately. Guess all we can do is make the most of what we have while we have it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:
It's a bugger getting old but much better than the alternative.

:lol: I'll pinch that if I may