2015 PCX Valve Clearance Adustment

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

2015 PCX Valve Clearance Adustment

Post by homie »

This will be a long piece of work in video, Please restrain from comment and it will read better for those who want to do their own valve clearance adjustment on a 2015 Honda PCX 150. If not them maybe Maddie will clean it up when its done.

Session 1 - Side Panels and trim clips

Tips & Parts; http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Screw-Riv ... Y6V0368DE3
Place a rag over your side stand (in the down position) when popping the trim clips to avoid nicking your paint on the left side panel.
Keep an eye on your screw fasteners they like to flick away. The side panels are quit secure without replacing the two trim clips.
Attachments
side panels.jpg
side panels.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: 2015 PCX Valve Clearance Adustment

Post by homie »

Session 2 - Seat & Garb Rail Cover

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Manual would have you removing body panels in this session but if you don't know exactly how to hold your mouth this could make for a long day so take the luggage box out first as in the next video then all will make sense as you have a much better view of body panel connections.

Session 3 - Grab Rail - Luggage Box & Body Panels

Tips: Trim clips remove very nicely and can be reused if you use the plastic cowling/fairing tools. http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Window-Mold ... oval+tools
Be patient with the body panel removal, the tail light assembly removes with both panels at the same time.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Session 4 - Battery Box & Cylinder Head Cover Removal

Tip; Probably want to take care with the rubber seal, there will be torque specs for these 4 bolts at the conclusion.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Session 5 - Timing & TDC (top dead center)

The one on top is intake .004 +/- .001
Click on youtube and then to full screen and leave this thumbnail size video for the detailed HD
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Session 6 - Adjustment

Intake was found to be just under .003 in.
Exhaust just under .008 in.

Both Valves are consistent under spec with a cold engine, rotated the crank shaft several times to be sure and there is nothing here to see. Apparently I'm growing into perfect specification or already there with a hot engine so I won't be doing this again any time soon :lol: Seems Honda was having a good day when they built Shay Whitey. Time to put her back together before I forget how o_O

I will follow up with torque specs and any goofiness that occurs during reassembly only if there is something new to learn in the process. I need to find some gasket goop and the manual doesn't offer a brand so any suggestions would be helpful. May take a couple days to reassemble as I see a little dirt under these panels and you know how that will bug me 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

In review I note there was no reason to remove the crank case cover on the left side. I assume it was to place a socket and turn the crank shaft for timing and I used my thumb on the fins instead (one person method).

Also you could remove the body panels without removing the luggage bucket if you knew exactly what was going on under all that plastic but for a first time rookie like me... it worked out better.

Here is a picture of the point at which you check the clearances and I do note there will be no actual adjustment footage because SORRY I don't need one :x However if you did need a little tweak there are special tiny wrenches involved that someone should show you in this thread. There are square flats on the stem and one lock nut. Loosen the nut turn the flats to achieve desired clearance then lock it back down while holding the flats on the stem in position (thus the special wrenches). Tappet wrench 3mm 07908-KE90000 (USA ONLY)

Cylinder head cover bolts torque spec was not provided, but use common sense and make them snug.
Attachments
.003.jpg
.003.jpg (165.74 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I should finish this with as much info as possible without loosening the lock nuts. Not sure what the lock nuts torque to but I will check the manual.

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

homie wrote:Session 6 - Adjustment

Intake was found to be just under .003 in.
Exhaust just under .008 in.

Both Valves are consistent under spec with a cold engine, rotated the crank shaft several times to be sure and there is nothing here to see. Apparently I'm growing into perfect specification or already there with a hot engine so I won't be doing this again any time soon :lol: Seems Honda was having a good day when they built Shay Whitey. Time to put her back together before I forget how o_O

I will follow up with torque specs and any goofiness that occurs during reassembly only if there is something new to learn in the process. I need to find some gasket goop and the manual doesn't offer a brand so any suggestions would be helpful. May take a couple days to reassemble as I see a little dirt under these panels and you know how that will bug me 8)
So you did all that and didn't even adjust them??? only needed .001 more... come on, you can do it ;)
I don't use any "gasket goop"... as long as the gasket is smooth, clean/lightly oiled and torqued evenly... it wont leak.
Even though I could tear apart a pcx with my eyes closed... I still enjoyed watching your videos, thanks.
"what a mess" :lol: ;)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Thanks for al that Homie! Makes sense to remove the seat well for added easy of access.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Excellent tutorial! Are you using the Mobius?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Thanks for al that Homie! Makes sense to remove the seat well for added easy of access.
dasshreddar wrote: So you did all that and didn't even adjust them??? only needed .001 more... come on, you can do it ;)
I don't use any "gasket goop"... as long as the gasket is smooth, clean/lightly oiled and torqued evenly... it wont leak.
Even though I could tear apart a pcx with my eyes closed... I still enjoyed watching your videos, thanks.
"what a mess" :lol: ;)
Coming from a pro I consider your interest in this an honor. SM shows the sealer and where to put it so since I have it. But you are right it doesn't look like it would need it. And its just in the corners as shown.
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Last edited by homie on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Thanks for al that Homie! Makes sense to remove the seat well for added easy of access.
you are most welcome ;)
SECoda wrote:Excellent tutorial! Are you using the Mobius?
absolutely!.. brought to you by Mobius action cams, is why it took 12 hours to do the job, It will go back together faster :lol:
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

:D Well if you can keep it under 20 hours that works out to about $7.50 /hr (@ $150 valve check/job). You beat the Federal minimum wage of $7.25. o_O The fun is worth so much more though. :P

I am glad my Forza doesn't need one until something like 16,000 miles I think (I still need to study that maintenance schedule).

You have convinced me to take my PCX to the dealer for the valve check now that I have the Forza to keep riding. :lol: I watched them for a little bit changing the fuel pump recall on the Forza and that was enough for me to see to change my mind. :ugeek: They have two service techs there that are a wiz with these panels. What a pain. :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Well if you can keep it under 20 hours that works out to about $7.50 /hr (@ $150 valve check/job). You beat the Federal minimum wage of $7.25. o_O The fun is worth so much more though. You have convinced me to take my PCX to the dealer for the valve check, What a pain. :(
This monkey business is certainly not for everyone :roll: But I should say that there is a feelng of dominance over the machine unlike I haven't felt since Chevy and Ford made engines we could actually work on. Putting it back together is quite satisfying so far. Oddly enough I'm not going to complain next time as I want to challenge myself without the service manual. Yea I'm a little pumped up! WOOT :lol: I OWENED IT 8) at least until it doesn't start o_O
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Cool videos Homie. I watched all of the them. I got 3500 miles on my scoot now. Hope my valves hold out for a bit more.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Steph wrote:Cool videos Homie. I watched all of the them. I got 3500 miles on my scoot now. Hope my valves hold out for a bit more.
How many times have you had them checked? Just curious so I can feel better about the effort ;) um that should have been at 6, & 2500 miles... about how much in service fees did I save 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Get after this before it drives you insane... some silliness you might want to avoid.

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Never had the valves checked.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

:P Well at 600 miles my Arctic Cat ATV dealer/mechanic sat on my PCX, ran the engine, tried a few things, and asked me a few questions and said don't waste your money. Does that count? I changed the oil.

I am contemplating the 2500 mile valve inspection at the dealer for the PCX since I have the Forza to ride. They always run coupons so I am hoping to get 15% off of the $150 they said the valve adjustment runs.

After watching them take apart the Forza for a while I have no qualms about letting them work on the PCX. I already bought an air filter if it needs it and have no problem changing/cleaning the oil/strainer and other inspections. I have a walk-out basement with a work shop indoors so it is always room temperature. :P