2015 PCX Valve Clearance Adustment

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: 2015 PCX Valve Clearance Adustment

Post by pcxpower »

Awesome!!! Thank you very much for the effort and time to record these instructions, and I'm sure that they will be really helpful for those who decide to do their own maintenance to their PCXs :D :D :D :D :D :D

An advice for those living in the USA: Don't even hesitate about purchasing the Service Manual, as you can buy it really cheap (in comparison to those living abroad) and it will be extremely helpful and will save you lots of money, without having to take the scooter to the Honda dealer ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

pcxpower wrote:Awesome!!! Thank you very much for the effort and time to record these instructions, and I'm sure that they will be really helpful for those who decide to do their own maintenance to their PCXs :D
here is the playlist in order of service... good luck 8)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... oyVAcpcIwl
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

It's really a very good job, and we all appreciate it! :D :D :D :D
2015 Honda PCX 125
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

homie wrote:In review I note there was no reason to remove the crank case cover on the left side. I assume it was to place a socket and turn the crank shaft for timing and I used my thumb on the fins instead (one person method).

Also you could remove the body panels without removing the luggage bucket if you knew exactly what was going on under all that plastic but for a first time rookie like me... it worked out better.

Here is a picture of the point at which you check the clearances and I do note there will be no actual adjustment footage because SORRY I don't need one :x However if you did need a little tweak there are special tiny wrenches involved that someone should show you in this thread. There are square flats on the stem and one lock nut. Loosen the nut turn the flats to achieve desired clearance then lock it back down while holding the flats on the stem in position (thus the special wrenches). Tappet wrench 3mm 07908-KE90000 (USA ONLY)

Cylinder head cover bolts torque spec was not provided, but use common sense and make them snug.
When I did this (and uploaded a link to a public Facebook photo gallery as I did not know how else to share), I asked folks about the special tappet wrench. My gaps were still in spec at 9,000 kilo / 6,000 mile, so I had not need to loosen / adjust. Soon (at about 18,000 kilo) I will check again, but this time I want to be prepared to adjust. As you said 'US only' in your thread, and as it's not in my very expensive manual, I'd like to ask what is 'US only' - the tool availability or the need for a 3mm tappet wrench? Is my 2015 LED PCX (chassis kf18-100****) bought in Japan likely to have difference sized square head tappet adjuster screws?
Thank you.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Steph wrote:Never had the valves checked.

Me neither, on either of the PCXs. The world keeps on revolving...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pxc-in-japan wrote:
homie wrote:In review I note there was no reason to remove the crank case cover on the left side. I assume it was to place a socket and turn the crank shaft for timing and I used my thumb on the fins instead (one person method).

Also you could remove the body panels without removing the luggage bucket if you knew exactly what was going on under all that plastic but for a first time rookie like me... it worked out better.

Here is a picture of the point at which you check the clearances and I do note there will be no actual adjustment footage because SORRY I don't need one :x However if you did need a little tweak there are special tiny wrenches involved that someone should show you in this thread. There are square flats on the stem and one lock nut. Loosen the nut turn the flats to achieve desired clearance then lock it back down while holding the flats on the stem in position (thus the special wrenches). Tappet wrench 3mm 07908-KE90000 (USA ONLY)

Cylinder head cover bolts torque spec was not provided, but use common sense and make them snug.
When I did this (and uploaded a link to a public Facebook photo gallery as I did not know how else to share), I asked folks about the special tappet wrench. My gaps were still in spec at 9,000 kilo / 6,000 mile, so I had not need to loosen / adjust. Soon (at about 18,000 kilo) I will check again, but this time I want to be prepared to adjust. As you said 'US only' in your thread, and as it's not in my very expensive manual, I'd like to ask what is 'US only' - the tool availability or the need for a 3mm tappet wrench? Is my 2015 LED PCX (chassis kf18-100****) bought in Japan likely to have difference sized square head tappet adjuster screws?
Thank you.
They'll be the same.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

homie wrote:
iceman wrote:Thanks for al that Homie! Makes sense to remove the seat well for added easy of access.
dasshreddar wrote: So you did all that and didn't even adjust them??? only needed .001 more... come on, you can do it ;)
I don't use any "gasket goop"... as long as the gasket is smooth, clean/lightly oiled and torqued evenly... it wont leak.
Even though I could tear apart a pcx with my eyes closed... I still enjoyed watching your videos, thanks.
"what a mess" :lol: ;)
Coming from a pro I consider your interest in this an honor. SM shows the sealer and where to put it so since I have it. But you are right it doesn't look like it would need it. And its just in the corners as shown.
I recommend that sealant as we, my friends and I, have used it in cold rainy conditions to seal a leaking gasket without properly cleaning the surfaces. It was used on a cloned honda engine from japan with a bit too wide of gaps on the engine gaps. It's worth the 9 dollars that it sells for.

GIl
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

you you wrote:
pxc-in-japan wrote:

Thank you.
They'll be the same.
Thanks, then I will go ahead and buy a 10mm / 3mm tool for it. I used my finger tips when doing the (fully visible and very easy) ones on my 2010 Suzuki Address 125, but the lack of visibility and poor access (in my opinion) on the PCX leaves me less confident / less calm. I wonder if I could see it all if I removed the under-cowling - the black plastic? Overkill? Probably.
Thanks.

Prefer this style to the on listed above, though. (pic shown is not right spec, I know).
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%87%E3%8 ... 3%E3%83%81
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image