Engine leaking

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

J.edwards1995

Engine leaking

Post by J.edwards1995 »

Hello :D

I have a honda pcx 125 2010 model and was looking at the engine (been boring) :lol: and I noticed that I had a small leak from a ring/hoop right under the engine just wondered what it could of been and how to stop it

Sorry for bad quality of photo :/
Sorry for bad quality of photo :/
image.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Engine leaking

Post by gn2 »

Is it oil?
If so it looks like a broken crankcase.
The loop is the mount hole for he centre stand.
A few options....
Keep topping the'oil up and ignore it
Clean it off and use some type of molecular metal polymer filler
Strip it and get it welded
Strip it and replace the crankcase
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Does the bike have a centre stand or just a side stand? It looks like the mount for the centre stand that's leaking. They are a known fault on early 125 models. The stand seizes and the lugs either crack the engine casing or break off all together. The lugs were strengthened on the later ESP engined bikes to fix this fault.

If it's leaking then you would be better to get it fixed as oil loss could lead to engine failure. The oil capacity is only 0.8 of a litre so even a small loss could be a potential problem.

It may be possible to get it welded if there is a decent engineering company close to you but the engine might have to be removed to do this. (Not too bad a job).
J.edwards1995

Post by J.edwards1995 »

Is it worth fixing? And would my local honda dealership be able to fix it? And how do I expect?
J.edwards1995

Post by J.edwards1995 »

Could it be just the gasket or the full crankcase?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If it is a cracked crankcase the labour charge at a Honda dealer would be around £700, if its out of warranty Honda should still supply the parts for free.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1395
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
J.edwards1995

Post by J.edwards1995 »

I have a friend who could weld it or put the part on would that be better?
But I have found a site that sell the part but it says '1 crankcase comp L' and '1 crankcase comp R' what does this mean?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:? Left side, right side (of crankcase) but need confirmation on that
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

J.edwards1995 wrote:
image.jpg
It's hard to tell from the picture, but that looks like a poorly-done weld on the spot where the centerstand used to go. That hoop/ring is where the centerstand mounted, and the weld that is to the left in the picture is NOT on the stock crankcase (the crankcase is a cast part, not a welded one). Someone cracked the crankcase by using the centerstand and sloppily repaired it.

Sadly, this is a known issue with just the 2011 Honda PCX. It happened to my PCX too (see this thread: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... tand#p2185)

The right way to fix it would be to replace the crankcase, which given the low cost of a PCX in the states, isn't worth it. I'd drain the oil completely, clean up the area as best you can, and slop some JBweld all over that joint around the hoop.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes