Drivebelt casing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

themerryone

Drivebelt casing

Post by themerryone »

Hi fellow PCX devotee's,

I am a proud owner of the 125 PCX which is now 16 months old, which I bought from new. The bike has now covered over 5000 miles and has lived up Honda's reputation for reliability. However I've noticed that the drivebelt casing appears to have perforated(corrosion starting from the inside). This has caused a bubbling effect to the casing finish. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I've owned previous Honda bikes over 30 years, and have never had this phenomenon happen before.

Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Drivebelt casing

Post by gn2 »

Pretty normal.
Nothing stays new forever.
The only bits of my PCX which didn't corrode were the plastic bits.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
themerryone

Post by themerryone »

gn2 wrote:Pretty normal.
Nothing stays new forever.
The only bits of my PCX which didn't corrode were the plastic bits.
Thanks,

I took the PCX into the the Honda dealers today where they concluded that it was corrosion caused by road salt. My PCX is cleaned at least twice weekly particularly as its winter and gets a thorough check over. I'm just amazed at how quick, between cleaning, the damage takes to reveal it self!!

The dealers are going replace it free of charge as the scooter is still under warranty. It appears that its not a common problem though as the dealer said this is only the 2nd time they have come across this particular problem. It was interesting to note during our discussion that depending where the scoot/bike was manufactured i.e Japan/ India/ Thailand, there is a slight variance with the quality of materials used in manufacture, despite the Honda brand.

Happy Scooting
markz

Post by markz »

I live a mile off the Florida beach. Anything aluminum turns white, on anything that is bare. Trucks, cars, bikes, mailbox's, BBQ grills.

My second hand two year old unit has the same signs. I recently unmounted my ECU module, to brush off the white powder, and spray a coat of paint on it, just to slow things down (expensive module to replace).

All it takes is a microscopic place for corrosion to start to ruin your painted/coated surface.

Warranties will expire. Keep an eye on your unit. A wire brush, sandpaper and spray paint are what is going to keep you unit from eating expensive parts in the future...

Metallurgy can be a bitch....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

markz wrote:I live a mile off the Florida beach. Anything aluminum turns white, on anything that is bare. Trucks, cars, bikes, mailbox's, BBQ grills.

My second hand two year old unit has the same signs. I recently unmounted my ECU module, to brush off the white powder, and spray a coat of paint on it, just to slow things down (expensive module to replace).

All it takes is a microscopic place for corrosion to start to ruin your painted/coated surface.

Warranties will expire. Keep an eye on your unit. A wire brush, sandpaper and spray paint are what is going to keep you unit from eating expensive parts in the future...

Metallurgy can be a bitch....
All these words and I'm not sure I've learned anything

Wots a unit and metallurgy is feminine?
ericpcx1

Post by ericpcx1 »

I have exactly the same problem on my drive belt casing, and the scoot is only 2 years old. In the summer I will be removing it and cleaning it up and respraying it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Best to wait till drive belt repacement time and do it then.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong