engine stalled on freeway, won't start again

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

danyo.26

engine stalled on freeway, won't start again

Post by danyo.26 »

Fairly new 2013 pcx150, have put roughly 3,000 miles on it so far and it's given me no issues until today. I was riding at 60 mph on the freeway and all of a sudden the engine cut power. I tried restarting it and it came back on for about 2 seconds before quitting again. This time I smelled something burnt. Pulled to the shoulder and it wouldn't start; it tries to start but seems like it can't get enough power. I had to get it towed to a friend's house where I measured the battery, and the voltage is fine. Instrument panel is working normally.

I'm not very good with mechanical stuff, any ideas would be appreciated. Apologies in advanced for the poor descriptions, I'm not familiar with many automobile terms. If there's any more info I can provide that might help, please let me know. Thank you all!
kalai1622

Re: engine stalled on freeway, won't start again

Post by kalai1622 »

ohh its very dangerous stalling while riding...go to the dealer and tell him the problem.. maybe your ECU shows what was going wrong...
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Yes, get to a dealer asap. Hopefully it is still under warranty.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Conventional wisdom is that if it stopped suddenly it is electrical and if it spluttered and then stopped it is fuel. Of course now with FI it is all electrical but.. Still using this it is electrical and this is bolstered by your burning smell. The burning small is not a good sign but things do get hot and return to normal.

Has anything changes? Have you done any work adding anything and say pinched a wire under the seat or anything.

Have you checked all the fuses. This would give you a clue. One is likely blown which would point to the source of the problem.

Lift up the seat and remove the luggage bucket and have a "sniff" around.Also have a look at the wiring harness.

Try the simple stuff? Is the Idle stop on or off? Does the headlight go dim or out when you try and start?

It is unlikely you can fix it alone, but at least you may be able to track down the source to avoid be hoodwinked by an unscrupulous dealer.
danyo.26

Post by danyo.26 »

Posting to update. I had the bike towed to the dealer and they've narrowed it down to an engine problem, but they won't know exactly what went wrong until they deconstruct it. Unfortunately, I'm moving out of state and I won't be here anymore when they take it apart, so I opted to sell it back to the dealer for a few hundred dollars. He said they're going to push for Honda to cover it under warranty since I did all the maintenance by the book, but also mentioned that my engine oil was a little low so they might choose to blame it on user negligence.

If the dealership ever calls me to tell me exactly what went wrong, I'll post here to update. Thanks for being a cool community!
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

would have been great to get a final update on what went wrong, just in case of anyone experiencing the same issue. If it was me i would have checked the basics. Plug, Coil, Injector etc...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just because the oil is "a little low" doesn't mean you neglected it! Who decided that it was low, and how low is a little low? I think it is ridiculous that dealers try to find fault with the owners when something goes wrong, even if we follow their rules. If it quit while you were riding it, it could be all sorts of things. I would really like to know what caused it to quit; I am sure others want to know too. It is upsetting that the dealer was so quick to put 'possible' blame on you...will that solve the problem or is it just all about the money? Honda should be concerned if one of their products fail instead of trying to find fault in people.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Mel46 wrote:Just because the oil is "a little low" doesn't mean you neglected it! Who decided that it was low, and how low is a little low? I think it is ridiculous that dealers try to find fault with the owners when something goes wrong, even if we follow their rules. If it quit while you were riding it, it could be all sorts of things. I would really like to know what caused it to quit; I am sure others want to know too. It is upsetting that the dealer was so quick to put 'possible' blame on you...will that solve the problem or is it just all about the money? Honda should be concerned if one of their products fail instead of trying to find fault in people.
Companies do this all the time. When i had my Zuma the 09 model was prone to fuel pump failures. It took till 2013 for Yamaha to address the issue as their own, doing a recall on all the 09's. If you paid out of pocket because your pump failed they would reimburse you the cost. Still pretty crappy of a multimillion dollar company to do this to the consumer.