2 year service performed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

markz

2 year service performed

Post by markz »

I recently acquired a 2011 PCX125 with a bald tire, and 6700 miles on it.

I told you about my tale of woe regarding the stuck swing arm. I opted to put down the big hammers, torches, and electric sawzall's to split the reduction gear box. The end result was great, getting there was a chore. This force me into taking off most of the bikes plastic, and since I was in it, I did what needed to be done, and I took my time and paid homage to the maintenance schedule. ( I like to call it "free labor")

I ordered a (US) manual from Helm Publications for $45.95USD delivered, and I waited until I received it in the mail before I started.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.as ... itemtype=N

(I purchased a 1984 Honda Gyro NN50MD in 1993, and purchased an official shop manual for it. I still own the damn thing, and thanks to having the manual around, I've managed to keep it running great for all these years, and it's never had to go into a professional shop, so if your thinking of maintaining the PCX on your own, spring for the manual, you'll be glad you did!)

Think of taking off the PCX plastic as, well a rubik's cube. The shit has to come off in a certain order. There is hidden screws galore. Clips, secret hand shakes etc... The manual will remove 90% of the heavy thinking. You'll then realize using the manual how well engineered Honda's are.

The bike had damaged plastic on the right side, so I sprung for the right lower cover, and right hand front cover.

SO OFF it all came.

The manual prevented damage on the disassembly, and only two broken tabs here and there on assembly. The end result was very good, with only 4 left over screws, that I have no idea what I missed, where. And I was careful...

Muffler - starting to rust, wire brushed, OSPHO'd and a fresh coat of BBQ flat black. $2 in paint, to extend the life of a $211 muffler/pipe.

Spark Plug - It was due:

Air Cleaner - Replaced
It wasn't bad, but the pores in the paper were filled, and beyond cleaning.

Belt wear - manual calls for replacement at a width of 21 mm, with it being 22 mm at new. I measured 21.5, so it's on target for the 10k mile lifespan.

Drive Pulley - Noted some flat spots on weights. Will order a replacement set.

Oil Change - I my strainer was clear. The oil was ready. I used Pro Honda HM-4M 10-30, since the autoparts store didn't have a suitable alternative. $9.00 qt at Honda.

Gear Box Oil - Needed an extra quart of HM-4M, for the 4 oz the box called for. I had the gearbox apart, with the speed sensor out. Noted a bit of metal sludge buildup on the sensor.

Valve clearance check - I took the cover off, clearances still in spec

Brake Fluid change out - I used a vacuum hand pump with a catch bottle. The CBS (Combined Brake System) reservoir is impossible to deal with, with covers on. The two screw holding the front brake's reservoir's cover was showing white oxide from the aluminum reservoir. I brushed them up and place some anti-seize compound on the screws.

I noted oxidation on my ECM module. I removed it, lightly brushed of the white oxide, taped up the connectors and sprayed a coat of flat black on it, to prevent any further degradation. Also applied some electrical tape onto the electrical harness, where it I thought it would be helpful.

I thought I would write this up, so if you (the reader) are looking at a service interval, you have some frame of reference on what to expect / think about.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: 2 year service performed

Post by dasshreddar »

You should have just bought a new scooter... :lol: (just kidding) great job! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am surprised at how abused the bike was. Most PCX owners have a sense of pride about owning one. The previous owner sounds like a kid! Glad that it is in good hands now. Good job!!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I thought the belt change interval is 15,000 miles?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
markz

Post by markz »

Brain Fart #2

You're right 15,000.

OBTW, I plan on doing the radiator coolant too. Just in case thought I overlooked it..
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

6700 miles valves still in spec

that's good to know

I bet it was the first inspection? Did anything indicate valves were done earlier?
markz

Post by markz »

Judging from the circumstances, information from hobbiest dealer, and general neglect evident, I'm confident I'm the first wrench..

The bike really wasn't that messed up. I'm tickled with the deal. The bike needed a good home, and is happy to be parked in a garage with a tool chest, and some one who has owned many many Honda minis since he was eleven...

I've seen exhaust valves tighten up on these sohc's. But at 6750 miles these were in spec.

I love the roller bearings on the cam, and the rockers. That is a new thing for me coming from the solid valve lifters and journal arrangement I'm so familiar with.

I'm going to invest in the trick tools that will make adjustment easier, as the head to frame confinement on this scooter has complicated things.

I love that video that fellow did, showing the plastic burlesque, before adjusting his PCX's heads...

I tried duct taping my iPhone to my forehead, but it kept coming off! :oops:
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

I saw in a Honda tech bulletin, they are suggesting a new type of feeler gauge. Pre bent they looked really cool I have to find a set

I will try and find a pic of them

Can't have too many of the right tools if you wrench your own bikes I say
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Ole wrote:I saw in a Honda tech bulletin, they are suggesting a new type of feeler gauge. Pre bent they looked really cool I have to find a set

I bought some from autozone that are prebent
ImageImage
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

logepoge1 wrote:
Ole wrote:I saw in a Honda tech bulletin, they are suggesting a new type of feeler gauge. Pre bent they looked really cool I have to find a set

I bought some from autozone that are prebent
Thanks will have to stop there. The ones I saw in the tech bulletin had a somewhat tapered nose to really get in the tight spots. Mine that I have now look like they came over on the Mayflower o_O
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just bend your standard "feeler" gauges if you need to and bend them back when you are finished