US Version PCX: Lack of Idle Stop Feature

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

markz

US Version PCX: Lack of Idle Stop Feature

Post by markz »

Having never out growing my love of Honda Mini's, I think this PCX model is one trick ride.

A 125cc four stroke, water cooled, fuel injection etc etc is so cool.

Then I found out as an American, my government protected me from the dastardly "idle stop" feature that the ROW enjoys.

Being anarchist at heart, and an engineer by trade, I feel compelled to make Idle Stop work on my PCX.

I recon, obtaining a "non US" ECU would be a great place to start, but I wonder if there are other things to consider.

I ordered a factory manual, and I'm hoping it is covers the international models as well, but I suspect that won't be included in my US ordered manual.

Has anybody on the forum looked at a non US shop manual? Or better yet are there any Honda engineers on the forum? (I had to ask...)

:D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: US Version PCX: Lack of Idle Stop Feature

Post by gn2 »

Its an interesting question, imo for what you would gain its not really worth it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
markz

Post by markz »

I thought it looked like a great feature...

So in practice do you turn the feature off?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No I had it turned on but the fuel savings were absolutely minimal.

Scooter Station did a test...
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ml&act=url

1.1 litres per 1000km in US terms is half a gallon per thousand miles and that's in heavy city centre traffic.
Out of town the savings are even less.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Idle stop mechanism makes sense in a city like Rome or Bangkok, where you have to wait at major intersections and the weather is hot. That said, I must tell you I hardly ever use it. My PCX rides take place here in the sticks and there's really no use for it. This place I call home has only one set of traffic lights, so I don't see the point. It should've been made available to customers in the US, particularly in California, where emissions control has been a hot debate for decades.

Maybe Honda's idle stop (or similar technology) will eventually be made mandatory for all vehicles, unless combustion engines are eradicated in favour of electric powered vehicles first.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
bruno_09

Post by bruno_09 »

markz wrote:I thought it looked like a great feature...

So in practice do you turn the feature off?
Only when I know I'll be taking off a few seconds after stopping. Or if I just filtered and I really need to be off the mark the second the lights turn green.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The engine starts in three tenths of a second from standby so there's very little to be gained by turning it off.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Mine is always on, the only time I turn it off is if I have a 2nd helmet under the seat and it can stop the feature from working or coming back on.

Helmet now goes in the topbox, why not use the feature if its there :)

But I agree, its no deal breaker and I certainly wouldn't bother wasting time doing it.
markz

Post by markz »

Great feed back!

I have more pressing matters with my PCX, with the swing arm bearing seized upon the output shaft, among other maintenance items.

I love the starter technology in this scooter, and with the idle stop feature's potential I was really geeked, as I do like killing the motor at stop lights.

I'll keep it in the back of my mind, but for now I'd like to thank this group for saving me from myself!

:)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Re that seized bearing, if penetrating fluid/heat doesn't free it methinks you'll need to cut the A-bracket and bearing off.
Or just take it to a shop to fit a new tyre and let them deal with it.