Ignition switch shutter stuck

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

woodenman

Ignition switch shutter stuck

Post by woodenman »

Hi all,

Just drove back my new (to me) 125 tonight and am having difficulty with the ignition switch shutter (fortunately stuck in the open position rather than the shut!)

Do they tend to get stuck, or are they just stiff?
Is there any way to release it?
Is it any real practical deterrent or a waste of time? (my Hollywood-derived hotwiring knowledge involved getting wires out and shorting them rather than messing with a keyhole)

Also I have a DataTag security system that I need to install - are there any instructions on how to get to the foam underneath the seat and to the underside of some of the panels around anywhere?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Ignition switch shutter stuck

Post by Mel46 »

Go to the dealer and have them check it. If the previous owner changed out the ignition but not the shutter, you won't be able to use the shutter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

They might keep dust out, but not thieves.
Some wd40 should free it up unless its been damaged.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
prenders88

Post by prenders88 »

They don't keep the thieves out, nor stop the bike getting nicked here in Thailand.
The stock alarm has got to be the Worlds most useless.
I have noticed the same shutter is used on the Click, Scoopy.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

prenders88 wrote:I have noticed the same shutter is used on the Click, Scoopy.
----------
Honda uses it on many models now, even on the Wave. I think it's useful in that it could prevent vandalism (somebody sticking rubbish in the key hole so you can't start your own scooter).
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
woodenman

Post by woodenman »

OK, think the dealer I bought it from switched the ignition at an earlier service (at least there's 'fit a new lock set' on the service list), no idea why they'd need to do that though?

If it isn't providing much protection I'll leave it - not really worth trekking all the way to the opposite end of London if it doesn't do anything, I'll leave it covered to try and stop people sticking twigs down it!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

woodenman, Take 1: Dealer is responsible. You've got in writing that they switched it out, now it's stuck. Why was it replaced? You're far away, How about asking your dealer to come fetch your scoot? Or maybe suggest meeting halfway? You should have an "all new and all parts functioning scoot." That's what you paid for. This could be one of those "put yourself out else it won't get done" kinda things. Yep, Unfair :|
Take 2: The PCX ain't about this. Truth be told, I hardly ever use the hide-a-way. This scoot proudly rolls regardless. Good luck ;)

Sorry, I know nada about running a Security System. Anyone else?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

Oh pooh, sounds like I have a similar problem but I have the Forza - the PCXs big brother! There is a switch for the left fairing box and is broken already - I've only had the bike for 6 days (when the problem occurred) and Honda are saying they're going to have to take the bike to bits to get at it and resolve the problem. That's all well and good but I'm now thinking "what if the same thing happens to the right-hand switch, i.e. the one for the fuel and seat - even more disastrous if that goes capput"! Grrrr, very peed off and will demand a replacement scoot/full refund IF they are unable to resolve the issue and/or if I have the same problem with the right-hand switch. It's very annoying because the Forza is a lovely scoot otherwise .......