2 brake fluid reservoirs? And immediate problem.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterCommuter

2 brake fluid reservoirs? And immediate problem.

Post by ScooterCommuter »

So, in an attempt to try to stay on top of all maintenance and make sure there's no fluid levels I'm forgetting to check, I discovered that the front brake and CBS brake have different reservoir. When I grabbed flashlight to check the CBS brake reservoir window, I discovered that it looks completely empty even though the front brake has a normal level. The manual suggested this may be because of a leak. Does anyone have experience with one reservoir being empty while the other one is normal?
current: Honda Pcx 150
previous: Honda Reflex 250, Suzuki Gs500, Yamaha Vino 70 mod
'Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly'
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 2 brake fluid reservoirs? And immediate problem.

Post by gn2 »

There are two separate hydraulic systems on the front brake, look at the caliper you'll see there are two bleed nipples.
The front brake actuates the two outer pistons, the CBS actuates the centre piston.
The window is difficult to use, if the level is not visible, how can you tell if its full or empty....?
Maybe try leaning the bike to either side to see if the level becomes visible.
To check the front element of the CBS brake, lift the front wheel clear of the deck, easy way is with it on the centrestand ask someone to apply weight to the rear.
With the front wheel in the air, pull the left CBS brake lever really hard, try turning the front wheel, you'll know soon enough if you have a problem. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooterCommuter

Post by ScooterCommuter »

Thanks for that. I will try the front wheel test. I did read on a different moto forum that other pcx owners are having trouble seeing the CBS level as well. I guess it just not as user friendly as the window on the front brake.
current: Honda Pcx 150
previous: Honda Reflex 250, Suzuki Gs500, Yamaha Vino 70 mod
'Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly'
rp150
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rp150 »

The dealer I got my 150 from said that is a common complaint. Mine To. He said the reservoir is filled to the top and the fluid is clear so it looks empty. I did what gn2 suggested and the wheel wouldn't move. Everything seems to be fine. I'll find out for sure when in do my Winter Tear Down Inspection.