Something's not right

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Something's not right

Post by Mel46 »

You only get 5,000 miles on your rear tires? That seems strange to me. We have our original tires on and they have plenty of tread left at almost 7,000 miles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Mileage out of a tire is directly related to riding style. A "slow" casual acceleration and gentle breaking riding style will dramatically increase tire life over hard acceleration and aggressive breaking. That, and people have different views on when a tire needs to be replace reguardless where the manufacturer's wear line is or isn't. City Grips last much longer than stock.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

To put this in perspective..... I've put over 15,000 miles on my PCX, and have complete confidence in knowing its limits. A couple weeks ago I was showing (off) to a couple coworkers how nimble the PCX is by leaning it over around the parking lot at work about 20mph. I ended up putting a couple pretty good scratches along the lower right side plastic. The plastic scraped before the side stand. I don't make a habit of riding like that, but everyone's view of normal riding is amazingly different.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Mel46 wrote:You only get 5,000 miles on your rear tires? That seems strange to me. We have our original tires on and they have plenty of tread left at almost 7,000 miles.
4500 miles on mine and the rear tyre is down to the wear bars.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My first IRC rear tyre lasted just 4700 miles, second one lasted 6800 but was completely shot by around 6000
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

My IRC rear went 7,800 miles. Now running the Michelin.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

My original IRC rear was bald at 3,000. Replaced it with Perelli Diablo and its got 5,000 on it and is just at the wear indicators. Next up will be a city grip ;-)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

scisor34 wrote:To put this in perspective..... I've put over 15,000 miles on my PCX, and have complete confidence in knowing its limits. A couple weeks ago I was showing (off) to a couple coworkers how nimble the PCX is by leaning it over around the parking lot at work about 20mph. I ended up putting a couple pretty good scratches along the lower right side plastic. The plastic scraped before the side stand. I don't make a habit of riding like that, but everyone's view of normal riding is amazingly different.
That's odd, I scrape the hell out of my centerstand before the plastics touch. I removed the centerstand though, no more rubbing since. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

So I've had a couple more issues recently which warranted removing the cover to inspect the clutch and rollers. First, the loud noise at idle and also when spinning the back wheel with the engine off, fraking clutch bearing. Second, I was going up a fairly steep hill at about 30mph when i felt the clutch start to slip, the rpm increased suddenly while at the same time a loss of pulling power and speed.

Back home, I cracked open the cover and found this black carbon like dust caked all over everything. o_O After i removed the clutch bell i noticed all 3 clutch shoes had a couple small patches of this carbon dust build up (sorry i didn't think to take a pic before i cleaned it up). So those carbon dust patches had built up enough thickness to prevent the actual clutch shoes from making good contact, wow. Then i removed the variator and found the inside completely coated with that carbon dust. Rollers looked good, just barely any flat spots. The belt is good, not showing any wear at all. WHERE IS THIS CRAP COMING FROM???

I cleaned all that damn black dust off everything then took the clutch assembly to the dealer to see about a bearing replacement. They said sure that'll be $150, i said no thanks and left. Everything cleaned and put back together, no more clutch slipping, but max speed is now lower than ever at 64mph on the dash. AND now the fraking dash is no longer accurate, GPS says 62mph at 64 on the dash. :x It has always been dead on until now. WTF?

Perhaps the carbon dust has gotten inside the clutch assembly preventing the driven face from opening fully and not allowing the belt to completely seat at full speed? Anybody ever tried to take apart the clutch assembly without a spring compressor?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The dust is off the belt.
As the belt wears top speed drops.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

So only after 600 miles the mileage changed and you lost a few hi revs..Too much pizza!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I haven't figured out exactly when the belt wear affects the top end, but I know that it does. Since we have two PCX 150s we tried an experiment, and now I am totally confused. When my bike had 3,000 miles on it and my wife's bike had 10,000 miles on hers I put my belt in her bike and ran her belt in mine until a new belt came in to the dealer. Then I installed the new one on mine and stored the 10,000 mile one away as a backup belt. Then I installed the NCY variator in my wife's bike and I am not sure if I swapped belts again. If I did then my original belt is back in my bike, which has around 5,700 miles on it now, and her bike has around 14,000 miles, with around 4,000 on the new belt.
If we didn't swap back then her bike would have my original belt, which had 3,000 on it when we swapped. That would mean that she would have 7,000 miles on hers now and I would have only 2,300 miles on my new belt...which I don't think is correct.
In either case, the bikes are running fine. My guess is that we have about the same miles on each of our belts, and that we won't feel the effects of belt wear until after 10,000 miles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

On my PCX the belt wear speed loss started to be noticeable after around 6000 miles