Warning to those changing the gear/transmission oil.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Warning to those changing the gear/transmission oil.

Post by jkhawaii »

I have been a automotive technician for well over 14 years and filling the transmission oil is kicking my ass! I admit that I do not have the proper equipment at my house for the job. One can not just pour the oil in obviously.. so than after a trip to the store to try and find something to use (was thinking empty ketchup/sauce bottle but could not find one. Than I figured that I could just use a freezer bag, cut a small hole in the corner and squeeze it in. Seemed to be working good, oil started flowing out as I filled it.. must be full. As I looked into the small hole I could not see any oil at the bottom of the fill hole, tilting the bike also did not seem to make any oil drip out. Tried to squeeze more oil in, again, oil came out as fast as I put it in. I found a vent hose on the top of the transmission/gear box blew some air into it... yup goes to where I need to put the oil. So, with what little oil I have left I am feeding it droplet by droplet thru a ball point pen caseing into the vent hole.. seems to be filling up as I can see oil contacting the gear as I rotate the wheel.
The internal air volume in the gear box seems to be so small that if you feed oil in the way I was trying to do it, the oil will just spit right out because with the perfect seal I was creating with the bag the air was not being displaced fast enough. it seems a syringe with a small hose is needed for this job.
If I just assumed it was full because the oil came out as fast as I squirted it in the transmission would likely have burned up. such a simple job, yet so hard.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Warning to those changing the gear/transmission oil.

Post by gn2 »

Use a 100ml syringe, you can get them on eBay or Amazon for a few quid.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

Feeding the oil into the vent hose on the top, with a syringe, or oil can might be the easiest way. Then, any oil coming out the fill hole is extra oil. Sure is hard to do thing with out the proper tools. What ever is used to fill it needs to be smaller than the fill hole or one will get a false indication of full.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Use a 100ml syringe, you can get them on eBay or Amazon for a few quid.

Or ask a relative who is nurse or a vet to keep you the used ones that have only been used for water or unsealed and never used
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

I'll be better prepared next time. Good thing I looked into the fill hole and was suspicious of the actual oil level.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I know almost all of us bought a PCX for the fun and fuel economy (I got 110 MPG on the last tank) To keep it economical we also tend to do our own maintenance to keep costs down. In this case though, with regard to transmission oil, if I had that much trouble doing it I think I'd bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for service.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PKrellner wrote:I know almost all of us bought a PCX for the fun and fuel economy (I got 110 MPG on the last tank) To keep it economical we also tend to do our own maintenance to keep costs down. In this case though, with regard to transmission oil, if I had that much trouble doing it I think I'd bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for service.

Seriously, it's a ten minute job.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Any maintenance should be carried out only after having carefully prepared for the job. Check the facts in the manual and acquire required tools. Is it so hard to google or search in this forum? A hundred years experience with auto maintenance is of no use if you rush and choose to ignore manufacturer's advice.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1280
Undo the bottom bolt, drain the oil into a small tub. When drained put the bolt back in and tighten it. Then undo top bolt and use a syringe bought from local auto shop to inject replacing fresh oil, can't remember exactly how much now but it will say in the manual 160ml?

Two bolts are the only ones that have copper washers so that's how you can quickly spot them. Also if you overfill, just let it drain out by itself from the fill hole, when it stops it's at the correct level, literally flush with the bottom of the bolt hole but if you use syringe with the correct amount of oil in there then you won't have that issue..

Ps use engine oil as specified 10-30 and drain and fill bolts are located just above the rear brake adjuster..
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

khaosaming wrote:Any maintenance should be carried out only after having carefully prepared for the job. Check the facts in the manual and acquire required tools. Is it so hard to google or search in this forum? A hundred years experience with auto maintenance is of no use if you rush and choose to ignore manufacturer's advice.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1280
Undo the bottom bolt, drain the oil into a small tub. When drained put the bolt back in and tighten it. Then undo top bolt and use a syringe bought from local auto shop to inject replacing fresh oil, can't remember exactly how much now but it will say in the manual 160ml?

Two bolts are the only ones that have copper washers so that's how you can quickly spot them. Also if you overfill, just let it drain out by itself from the fill hole, when it stops it's at the correct level, literally flush with the bottom of the bolt hole but if you use syringe with the correct amount of oil in there then you won't have that issue..

Ps use engine oil as specified 10-30 and drain and fill bolts are located just above the rear brake adjuster..
Who would have thought it would be so difficult to put oil in a hole? Even with a syringe I can see some one mistaking a full gear box when its not. I'm going to put the oil down the gear box vent tube from now on that's not in the manual.
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

Speaking of manuals. I wish Helm would hurry up and release the 2013 PCX service manual so I can buy one.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Look in the How To forum, there's a thread called Honda PCX Manuals. There you will find links to order one. Glad you got things sorted after all :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

jkhawaii wrote:Speaking of manuals. I wish Helm would hurry up and release the 2013 PCX service manual so I can buy one.
I just saw this posted by jkhawaii in the General forums.
jkhawaii wrote:http://www.sell.com/2C9GTN I just ordered one.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

kramnala58 wrote:
jkhawaii wrote:Speaking of manuals. I wish Helm would hurry up and release the 2013 PCX service manual so I can buy one.
I just saw this posted by jkhawaii in the General forums.
jkhawaii wrote:http://www.sell.com/2C9GTN I just ordered one.
........that would be me. :lol:
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

jkhawaii wrote:I have been a automotive technician for well over 14 years and filling the transmission oil is kicking my ass! I admit that I do not have the proper equipment at my house for the job. One can not just pour the oil in obviously.. so than after a trip to the store to try and find something to use (was thinking empty ketchup/sauce bottle but could not find one. Than I figured that I could just use a freezer bag, cut a small hole in the corner and squeeze it in. Seemed to be working good, oil started flowing out as I filled it.. must be full. As I looked into the small hole I could not see any oil at the bottom of the fill hole, tilting the bike also did not seem to make any oil drip out. Tried to squeeze more oil in, again, oil came out as fast as I put it in. I found a vent hose on the top of the transmission/gear box blew some air into it... yup goes to where I need to put the oil. So, with what little oil I have left I am feeding it droplet by droplet thru a ball point pen caseing into the vent hole.. seems to be filling up as I can see oil contacting the gear as I rotate the wheel.
The internal air volume in the gear box seems to be so small that if you feed oil in the way I was trying to do it, the oil will just spit right out because with the perfect seal I was creating with the bag the air was not being displaced fast enough. it seems a syringe with a small hose is needed for this job.
If I just assumed it was full because the oil came out as fast as I squirted it in the transmission would likely have burned up. such a simple job, yet so hard.

Easy, I just leaned the bike on its right side, used a piece of hose(air/fuel/brake etc..) connected to a small pointy cap(tiny funnel) from a 75w90 gear oil bottle, filled up 200+ml, put bike back on center stand and check/add oil as needed. ;)
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

Dasshreddar. Did you just say that you leaned the bike on it side? LOL I wouldn't want to scratch the paint.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

:lol: I have pegs, so it leans on it's side easy (like my avatar pic).
I'm sure you could prop it up with something holding the handlebar etc... ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote::lol: I have pegs, so it leans on it's side easy (like my avatar pic).
I'm sure you could prop it up with something holding the handlebar etc... ;)
Duct tape is now looking a little more sensible
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'll try and change the final drive oil this weekend and post some pictures

It's generally one hex screw to drain and one to fill. Oil is usually black from initial wear from oil seal lips.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Video of Dabinche changing gear oil on a Honda Elite 110.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikj9jsFj4wk
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I bought one of these for changing the gear oil in my Ruckus. I just cut the tube to the length I needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37 ... UTF8&psc=1

Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus