gas cap problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

gas cap problems

Post by logepoge1 »

My gas cap is getting real hard to take off. Wasnt like this until I went to fill it up today. Any suggestions?
ImageImage
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: gas cap problems

Post by kramnala58 »

Wondering if it was just a vacuum. Maybe try releasing it once or twice between now and the next time you fill in and see if it makes a difference.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

well I took it off at the first station, decided I didnt want gas there so drove to different one and the cap still didnt come out without a lot of work
ImageImage
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Mine is a bit "sticky" also. I just live with it. I would rather have a tight seal then a loose cap.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

true. Mine was not always like that and it only has 1300 miles, well 1316 as of last fillup
ImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

At least yours works. On our very first fill up we put the cap on the foot board while filling it up but it fell off and started to roll on the pavement. I reached down to pick it up and a lady in a SUV who was in a real hurry came within inches of clipping me, hit my hand with her running board, and ran over the gas cap! I was able to bend it just enough to get it back on but not seal it. We drove home and ordered a new gas cap through the internet. Then our scooter had to just sit until it came in. We had called the dealer about buying one from them but they said they would have to order one, so we figured we could get it just as fast by ordering it ourselves. Still, the scooter only had 100 miles on it and had to be parked!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Mel46 wrote:At least yours works. On our very first fill up we put the cap on the foot board while filling it up but it fell off and started to roll on the pavement. I reached down to pick it up and a lady in a SUV who was in a real hurry came within inches of clipping me, hit my hand with her running board, and ran over the gas cap! I was able to bend it just enough to get it back on but not seal it. We drove home and ordered a new gas cap through the internet. Then our scooter had to just sit until it came in. We had called the dealer about buying one from them but they said they would have to order one, so we figured we could get it just as fast by ordering it ourselves. Still, the scooter only had 100 miles on it and had to be parked!

You could have stuffed a rag in the tank and still driven it..... :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
Mel46 wrote:At least yours works. On our very first fill up we put the cap on the foot board while filling it up but it fell off and started to roll on the pavement. I reached down to pick it up and a lady in a SUV who was in a real hurry came within inches of clipping me, hit my hand with her running board, and ran over the gas cap! I was able to bend it just enough to get it back on but not seal it. We drove home and ordered a new gas cap through the internet. Then our scooter had to just sit until it came in. We had called the dealer about buying one from them but they said they would have to order one, so we figured we could get it just as fast by ordering it ourselves. Still, the scooter only had 100 miles on it and had to be parked!

You could have stuffed a rag in the tank and still driven it..... :lol:
True. Bit of tinfoil or clingfilm?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Since my wife would have been doing most of the riding on the PCX, and she was still learning, I felt that it was safer to let it sit than to stuff a rag in it or foil over it and have her fall over while learning to navigate tight corners.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Mel46 wrote:Since my wife would have been doing most of the riding on the PCX, and she was still learning, I felt that it was safer to let it sit than to stuff a rag in it or foil over it and have her fall over while learning to navigate tight corners.

Mel, you do know I was only teasing right? ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Some people do think it is OK to stuff rags in the gas fill up hole, especially here in backwards Georgia, where anything goes. I see vehicles driving around here that should NOT be on the road. My pet peeve is brake lights. In most states all of them need to be working, but not in Georgia. These people seem to think that once you buy any vehicle you shouldn't EVER have to do anything to maintain it. As an example, I see cars daily that, out of 7 brake lights (counting the led third brake light) only 1/2 of the third brake light works. Really?? It costs a couple of dollars to buy a set of bulbs and they are too cheap to even do that?! I might understand one or two out but not all of them. That is just plain lazy. I also often see motorcycles with just one working headlight and a tail light so small that you would have to be right on top of them in order to see it. Doesn't anyone care that they could be killed? It is a big business here to sue someone, and there are some 'low-lifes' who make it their business to be hit by a car, like they won't get hurt! There doesn't seem to be a reality check here. Welcome to the Deep South.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

you know, the thing is, lately, I've been have a hard time removing my gas cap too! that's what I like about this site, knowing it's not just me!!! I just twist a bit harder to remove. I think it's the seal, like cheap ride said earlier. then again, I could just stuff the rag down, like he suggested! hey cheapie, does it matter what type rag? what color, what grade or texture???
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ScooterKim wrote:you know, the thing is, lately, I've been have a hard time removing my gas cap too! that's what I like about this site, knowing it's not just me!!! I just twist a bit harder to remove. I think it's the seal, like cheap ride said earlier. then again, I could just stuff the rag down, like he suggested! hey cheapie, does it matter what type rag? what color, what grade or texture???
Run a thin film of engine oil on the seal
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

you you wrote:/quote]

thanks! I'll try that
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

take the filler cap off, and a light spray of duck oil in by the 2 tabs will sort it, repeat as needed !
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ScooterKim wrote:
you you wrote:/quote]

thanks! I'll try that

De nada chica
ericpcx
Regular User